• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dacarden

Reaction score
I've seen quite some 'sample' jackets pop-up on grailed & ebay lately. Instead of a complete care tag, they have a sample tag:
View attachment 1476852

Does anyone have experience with these, know how to judge authenticity?

I have bought a few sample pieces and have actually been very pleased with them. I would suggest only buying them from reputable sellers. That tag looks identical to the ones on my samples. I just purchased a SS16 sample that I am in love with. Just make sure to get all measurements because they can vary in size quite a bit.

To me it means a lot to me to be able to own pieces that are 1 of 1. They become a sentimental part of my wardrobe :)

Reactions: BxQ

malcolmbw

Reaction score
Anyone handled this piece or know what season it was offered?

Curious about sizing and quality, think it's called the Black Tweed Teddy but haven't been able to find any info on it.

1603501625812.png

Last edited:

rokor

Reaction score
I have bought a few sample pieces and have actually been very pleased with them. I would suggest only buying them from reputable sellers. That tag looks identical to the ones on my samples. I just purchased a SS16 sample that I am in love with. Just make sure to get all measurements because they can vary in size quite a bit.

To me it means a lot to me to be able to own pieces that are 1 of 1. They become a sentimental part of my wardrobe :)
RT. I once sold a sample FW13 silk jacquard Le Smoking for $170... I needed the cash bad enough that it made sense at the time but it's the single most regrettable sale I made to this day. Sample pieces when made well are really top of the game imo.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up the dark denim shearling jacket, really love it. I think I need to bring the sleeves up a couple cm's, or am I over thinking it? So much depends on how I hold my arms; if I reach up my wrist is fully exposed but with arms hanging down it's long to me. Most of my other outerwear has a 61cm length, this is 63 cm for reference. Sorry for the pic overload, trying to capture the lengths.
Photo on 11-23-20 at 9.13 AM #3.jpg

IMG_0014.jpeg
IMG_0024.jpeg

IMG_0029.png

Randeep

Reaction score
SirGrotius, seems ok to me, I mean it doesn't 'jump out' as being too long, so I'd always be weary about the effort of shaving a cm off if 95% of the general public will find it impercetible.

Btw, is this black jacket, and the one you posted earlier in beige, both lined in shearling in the sleeves, too? I don't recall you explicitly stating whether they were or not (either because, you find it so "obvious" that they'd come fully lined or the complete opposite - you'd find it so "obvious" that sleeves should be unlined).

For me, I'd want my sleeves fully lined in shearling too (SL did at least 1 fully lined trucker under Hedi).

Last edited:

rokor

Reaction score
It' a whole different ball game these days. To see a fully lined jacket under our new director seems out of the norm.

zrn

Reaction score
It' a whole different ball game these days. To see a fully lined jacket under our new director seems out of the norm.
The leather trucker from this season was fully lined lol...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trouble with lined sleeves is that it can make them extra bulky and can interfere with arm movement to some extent. No problem if you're talking about a shearling coat with wider sleeves - more of an issue when you want a close-fitting jacket.

Picked up the dark denim shearling jacket, really love it. I think I need to bring the sleeves up a couple cm's, or am I over thinking it? So much depends on how I hold my arms; if I reach up my wrist is fully exposed but with arms hanging down it's long to me. Most of my other outerwear has a 61cm length, this is 63 cm for reference. Sorry for the pic overload, trying to capture the lengths.
View attachment 1503619
View attachment 1503617 View attachment 1503618
View attachment 1503620

I think the jacket length is fine. It's raw denim, right? So the sleeves are going to crease and bunch up slightly at the elbow, which should shave off some length.

But if you like a shorter sleeve then that's up to you. Personally I'd just flip the cuffs and rock it (which is how I always wear denim jackets).

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it is denim, it may be worth considering that as the creases set in around the elbow, the sleeves will shorten a bit like jeans. I am also very fixated on small details on proportions, and there is a need to have your frame and the style you want to project be taken into consideration when deciding on sleeve length. Personally, I like to have the sleeves cropped to show my wrist bone since I feel like it looks the most edgy and youthful and gives me wrist real estate to show off bracelets.
1606229153657.png

1606229608302.png

1606229184132.png

One con is that this does lean slightly feminine and androgynous.

When the sleeves hit perfectly at the wrist, it is most neutral and most "competent", albeit a bit boring and not as fun and edgy. It doesn't really make a strong statement, which might be exactly what attracts individuals who want this.

When the sleeves are a bit longer than wrist, I think it is perfect for a frame that is more built has it helps balance the proportions, and makes the jacket look very sexy and masculine, rather than dainty. I feel like Randeep's picture perfectly captures what I'm talking about.
1606229448783.png

Another reason one might consider rocking longer sleeves is for that ss21 oversized grunge feeling.
1606229737512.png

rokor

Reaction score
The leather trucker from this season was fully lined lol...
That's unexpected. That being said Anthony hasn't shyed away from putting money into his leathers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads