• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1478327
If we look at the photography, Hedi's photographs are able to better highlight and capture your gaze onto the model. It feels like the image of the model is sharper than the background. It is subtle, but there is a sense where the model radiates. In this Saint Laurent campaign photo, the model doesn't stand out from the background, and both of them blend together. Perhaps the background choice was a bit too messy and not plain enough, so it feels visually distracting.

Styling-wise, I feel like Hedi has a better intuitive sense of what looks right. His understanding of how people dressed gives him more an ability to style clothing a bit more accurate. This whole look seems okay from afar, but on closer inspection there are a couple of things that throw me off. Why is the model wearing a dress shirt that needs cuff links paired with relaxed fit washed black denim? The fabric of the jacket feels a bit too sleek compared to the jeans. Hedi's fw19 look has a more substantial fabric for the coat and it feels like to meshes better with the washed blues in relaxed fit. The rangers also help bring the look together so it doesn't look too sleek and dressy. The look would be totally weird if rangers were swapped with Jacno 60s.

If you treat Anthony's items as separates, I think it is fine. Cropped peacoat with thinner fabric reminds me of ss13.
View attachment 1478335
View attachment 1478336
View attachment 1478337
The shirt would be nice for people who are looking for that kind of thing...same with the jeans. The only place I would dock marks off is the boots. They don't really look that sexy compared to Hedi's versions of heeled dress boots. It feels a bit rounder and less edgy.
^Agreed on items working better as separates, disagree on the boots.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Button up shirts - appropriately sized hanger
Scarves - thrown into a corner
Boots - placed back into box with the wrapping provided to fill out the toebox/vamp (not excessively), unless they're leather boots I've recently/just worn, in which case I'd use shoe trees instead.
T-shirts - I literally only wear very cheap plain cotton t-shirts from Zara, OR, pricier SL silk tees. Zara ones get chucked in a corner and not often ironed, silk ones I'll loosely fold (or rather bunch up) and toss a little more gently into a cupboard -- I would not hang them due to delicacy (and lack of luxury space to hang everything, more this). If I did hang it would only be with broad hangers that don't leave the shoulders pinched.

All this

Randeep

Reaction score
View attachment 1478327
If we look at the photography, Hedi's photographs are able to better highlight and capture your gaze onto the model. It feels like the image of the model is sharper than the background. It is subtle, but there is a sense where the model radiates. In this Saint Laurent campaign photo, the model doesn't stand out from the background, and both of them blend together. Perhaps the background choice was a bit too messy and not plain enough, so it feels visually distracting.

Styling-wise, I feel like Hedi has a better intuitive sense of what looks right. His understanding of how people dressed gives him more an ability to style clothing a bit more accurate. This whole look seems okay from afar, but on closer inspection there are a couple of things that throw me off. Why is the model wearing a dress shirt that needs cuff links paired with relaxed fit washed black denim? The fabric of the jacket feels a bit too sleek compared to the jeans. Hedi's fw19 look has a more substantial fabric for the coat and it feels like to meshes better with the washed blues in relaxed fit. The rangers also help bring the look together so it doesn't look too sleek and dressy. The look would be totally weird if rangers were swapped with Jacno 60s.

<snip>

@thorns thank you for expressing so eloquently what I couldn’t put into words when I curtly responded to @SirGrotius’ ostensible observation with “... it's just you” ;)

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without seeing Anthony's work, I wouldn't have even noticed the subtle things that make Hedi so great in my eyes.

alexanderdavide

Reaction score
"what price do you find appropriate" this question sounds odd given I guess you've already seen this listed somewhere at a price the seller has specified. If his price was $1500 (only an example), then me saying "$500" or "$3000" isn't going to help you at all. The condition seems ok, I can't see much (any?) pilling, but its got those white specks/dust in high wear areas - though I know that kind of stuff looks particularly unforgiving if flash was used to take the pictures.

I've just checked my teddy and another random SL jacket, neither have the accent over the e. That tag looks good to me.

On the fb group ("saint laurent buy sell trade") you might be able to find a new jacket that's a little over $1000 if lucky, there was one seller who was constantly churning out teddys (though he did say recently (his) prices were increasing).

So that's worth bearing in mind @alexanderdavide with respect to whatever your budget is -- and if it's budget that is the reason you're going for the female version over the male one as opposed to better personal fit.. maybe you should wait a little?

Thank's for the answer. No offence, but I found it to be unreflected. I'm looking for women's sizes in jackets because they work better with my body type and let me achieve the fit I want. For another thing, the seller did not define a price by himself. However, you said it yourself that women's pieces are priced lower which makes sense as there is far less demand on the market. For this exact reason, I wanted to gather your opinions on pricing of women's pieces.

rebirth12

Reaction score
Does anybody know where to find D17 jeans?

Just jumped into the flared/boot cut bandwagon

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought two more pairs off of a guy in China on grailed. Last I looked he had quite a few in different sizes. Search d17 and you should find him.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score

Definitely grailed and vestiaire collective if you don't mind second hand jeans.

If you want brand new pairs I've seen them float around on Yoox too although they don't specify the cut so you need to know what you're looking for. Prices can also be all over the place so you need to get lucky.

rebirth12

Reaction score
Definitely grailed and vestiaire collective if you don't mind second hand jeans.

If you want brand new pairs I've seen them float around on Yoox too although they don't specify the cut so you need to know what you're looking for. Prices can also be all over the place so you need to get lucky.

Imma browse Yoox but that website is really like a russian roulette lol, worst UX ive seen for an ecommerce

imma keep looking as the ones in my size (28) are kinda high priced even if used on Grailed but thanks for the advice

Gotta be patient then

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Imma browse Yoox but that website is really like a russian roulette lol, worst UX ive seen for an ecommerce

imma keep looking as the ones in my size (28) are kinda high priced even if used on Grailed but thanks for the advice

Gotta be patient then

Yeah patience and luck, mostly. I have no idea how the pricing system works on Yoox. I've seen D02's for 180 but they also go for over 400.

D17's are a bit more rare unfortunately.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The d17's I came by on grailed were brand new with tags. I got a new black denim pair as well as a black corduroy pair (I already had the Burgundy ones in corduroy). I think it's a great cut. I wouldn't buy used jeans.

I'm kinda blown away by the amount of stuff on grailed that still has tags on it and no discernible wear from Hedi's heyday at SLP. I'm looking hard at a L17 that doesn't even look like it's been tried on.

MotionInReverse

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on FW14 Ranger boots sizing? I’ve been eyeing a pair in size 9, but since I wear a 9.5 in Santiags, I’m worried they may be too small. Would size 10 be more appropriate? I appreciate the consideration.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have two classic hedi-era flannels (shadow-plaid red and black cotton,and shadow-plaid western blue and black wool)
where else do you guys go for your flannels? i primarily wear them as an over shirt

ASAPRice

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on FW14 Ranger boots sizing? I’ve been eyeing a pair in size 9, but since I wear a 9.5 in Santiags, I’m worried they may be too small. Would size 10 be more appropriate? I appreciate the consideration.
my fw14 padded combats are a 39.5 and my santiags are a 40. They fit pretty similarly, although the combats have a wider toebox

ViceofGucci

Reaction score
I agree I'd go tts for your combat boots. I wear 44 in Wyatts but a 45 in duckies Santiags and my padded combat boots. For flannels, I like Amiri but always a size down John Elliott straight hem flannels tts or old Balmain decarnin ones

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads