• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

therattler

Reaction score
sorry dudes, my point wasn't exactly clear. I'm with you all on **** fashion writers etc. and ill still stick with everything because I've been wearing tight jeans, boots and leathers for the last ten years. it's nice now that i have the best versions of those pieces. the thing about the girls at the magazines, is just that now that hedi is gone, coupled with this nonsense with vacarello, has meant that the monogrammed items do not carry the cultural capital they did even 6 months ago. sac du jour, still cool. ysl chain wallet not so much. it's like the monogram is reverting back to early 2000's gauche.

hedi era will be cool as **** forever. and it's so funny to have people come on here and ask if an slp bike is played out. has a straight up biker jacket ever been played out? come on.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At therattler I wasn't specificallly responding to you or disagreeing with you, just giving my feelings on the idea that Saint Laurent could be played out coming from the collection of recent posts and anecdotes (such as the question you mentioned above). I don't want you to get the wrong idea from my post where I made a specific reference to fashion writers.

Last edited:

slann01

Reaction score

@slann01
  i think i read on here that ysl bought a pendleton mill or something for the aw13 flannels? can you confirm this? or where did you get this info? I've found a vintage pendleton flannel in my family tartan randomly, which i'll buy if the measurements are correct.

It is true, the wool ones from fw13 and some other wool flannel release are pendleton fabrics. I had both the Saint Laurent and pendleton versions. Same exact fabric. In fact i recently sold One of my Saint Laurent Ones - and i'm trying to sell my other slp One. Obviously slp is cut more oversized (the normal version is the same cut except for the curved hem) and it has the nice silk lining on the cuffs, but at this point i can't justify the $550+ price difference. Also hunting down the pendleton original version on ebay is so much fun :slayer:

kpmurphy

Reaction score
It is true, the wool ones from fw13 and some other wool flannel release are pendleton fabrics. I had both the Saint Laurent and pendleton versions. Same exact fabric. In fact i recently sold One of my Saint Laurent Ones - and i'm trying to sell my other slp One. Obviously slp is cut more oversized (the normal version is the same cut except for the curved hem) and it has the nice silk lining on the cuffs, but at this point i can't justify the $550+ price difference. Also hunting down the pendleton original version on ebay is so much fun
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Example:

cjbreed

Reaction score
wow that video on the ysl homepage was bad. i'm surprised at how bad actually

but i think it may be incorrect to assume that he will produce a giant collection of **** based simply on the fact that he isn't hedi slimane.

he likely will produce some gaudy opulent pieces that guys like me will hate, but hedi produced plenty of novelty crap that was downright embarrassing in my opinion that i also hated.

the strength of the label right now is the wearable staple items like the permanent collection and the handful of accessible seasonal items. that will almost certainly continue in some format. based on what little i have seen from vaccarello i would guess that it will be less thrift store grunge rock chic and more of a darker polished rock chic. less like slp ss16 and more like slp fw15.

either way i am withholding judgement for now. i think it might end up all right. slimane did not exactly reinvent the wheel here. it is not conceptual avant garde fashion that only he can do, it is a reworking of classic rock and roll menswear staples with the magic in the details. fit, finish, line, tailoring, distressing. if vaccarello can pick up the torch where it was left off and leave his ego out of it and not try to reinvent the house then things may be fine. womens will likely be better.

also, this may be uncool to drop here so let me know if i need to remove it but i recently bought a pair of IRO riley boots in black suede in a 45. our very own slann01 made a video about them here:

luster catcher

quality is on par with slp. maybe better. made in portugal. blake welted. has toe shape similar to devon boot. anyway they are a half size too small for me so if anyone wants them i'll sell for $250. brand new in box. an affordable quality alternative to slp. pm me

Last edited:

slann01

Reaction score
Last edited:

therattler

Reaction score
the strength of the label right now is the wearable staple items like the permanent collection and the handful of accessible seasonal items. that will almost certainly continue in some format. based on what little i have seen from vaccarello i would guess that it will be less thrift store grunge rock chic and more of a darker polished rock chic. less like slp ss16 and more like slp fw15.

the permanent collection is made great because of the seasonal items. not the other way around. without the direct cultural references of the season stuff you don't get the permanent collection. which is why, when you take away that element nothing remains. vacarello punk rock chic will be dog **** because it is not of the rock cultures that hedi understands. for me, this is what is lost on most people viewing this stuff from the outside.

jstar88

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm really interested in purchasing a pair of cropped jodhpurs but am having a hard time deciding between the cigare suede colorway or the anthracite grey:

model number here:
http://www.ysl.com/us/shop-product/...re-suede_cod44787644an.html#section=men_shoes

Anyone have any on feet pics of the grey version? Can't seem to find a lot of people who have purchased this colorway.

Thanks!

Gabujabu

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm really interested in purchasing a pair of cropped jodhpurs but am having a hard time deciding between the cigare suede colorway or the anthracite grey:

model number here:
http://www.ysl.com/us/shop-product/...re-suede_cod44787644an.html#section=men_shoes

Anyone have any on feet pics of the grey version? Can't seem to find a lot of people who have purchased this colorway.

Thanks!

The anthracite grey ones are nice. Here are a few at 50% off, if you wear the available sizes: http://thewebster.us/shop/index.php/men/london-ankle-boots.html

LA4Lyfe

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

sorry dudes, my point wasn't exactly clear. I'm with you all on **** fashion writers etc. and ill still stick with everything because I've been wearing tight jeans, boots and leathers for the last ten years. it's nice now that i have the best versions of those pieces. the thing about the girls at the magazines, is just that now that hedi is gone, coupled with this nonsense with vacarello, has meant that the monogrammed items do not carry the cultural capital they did even 6 months ago. sac du jour, still cool. ysl chain wallet not so much. it's like the monogram is reverting back to early 2000's gauche.

hedi era will be cool as **** forever. and it's so funny to have people come on here and ask if an slp bike is played out. has a straight up biker jacket ever been played out? come on.
At therattler I wasn't specificallly responding to you or disagreeing with you, just giving my feelings on the idea that Saint Laurent could be played out coming from the collection of recent posts and anecdotes (such as the question you mentioned above). I don't want you to get the wrong idea from my post where I made a specific reference to fashion writers. 

Yeah. I was just asking cause it's such a nice piece of the collection. I don't care. I have the biker denim. I've had it since SS14. But I was just curious to hear thoughts because it's one of the most branded slp jeans on here. Just wanted to hear what some people thought hype wise. But you're right it's biker denim. But its safe to say that people do assume its hype, due to it being so known as saint Laurent item and worth 1500. There's people out there that just buy it to scream I have a 1500 Saint Laurent pants on. But I'm starting of wanting to wear more so cause of craftsmanship. It used to be more hyped out. Now I would just wear it out of appreciation..my two cents

I was personally looking leather version, as a new pick up.
I do like biker full leather more design wise. And personally just asking that question I don't see a big deal.

But somebody asking for the 37392848th time how do cropped jods fit, should bother more. Also, I've been on this forum and slp style longer than you. But I changed my usename awhile ago. No hate, all love.. just saying.
I'm not some hypebeast tryna buy what's cool.

Last edited:

neonrider

Reaction score
hmm, that's interesting about the wool shirts. personally i don't know how you guys wear them, maybe there's some secret trick i'm missing, i start itching to death in like five minutes.

i think one of the most basic things that hedi did is to try to take the idea of a brand away from just fashion, the latest thing, pure seasonality. via the permanent collection, etc. hell, today i picked up an artforum and there were saint laurent "ads" with store art pieces in it. totally different approach from "building hype" by giving free clothes to marsupialed fashion bloggers.

so i think when you see all this in terms of just hype, "is this played out", that precise question IS what many of us hope SL won't become, just another hype beast vehicle. this should transcend the hype cycle, and if it doesn't that's when wackarello will have really undone what hedi created.

the hype cycle has its place, mostly for second-rate designers to play a game of who can sell the it piece this season to fashion buyers, right? this is the vetements story. but hedi's greatest innovation is to break it.

frankly, i respect him because he created all this DESPITE fashion insiders, the hype-creators, the people who decide what's "played out" and not, always hating him like trump hates a mexican.

so **** the hype cycle, if that's all you see here, you don't really see the point at all. :)

back to clothes for a second, picked up the new reissue destroyed og (not trash) black, great jeans. much more subtle distressing and bleaching. surprised more people aren't picking up the vintage L01, it's fantastic, i've been wearing the hell out of mine.

Last edited:

LA4Lyfe

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
hmm, that's interesting about the wool shirts. personally i don't know how you guys wear them, maybe there's some secret trick i'm missing, i start itching to death in like five minutes.

i think one of the most basic things that hedi did is to try to take the idea of a brand away from just fashion, the latest thing, pure seasonality. via the permanent collection, etc. hell, today i picked up an artforum and there were saint laurent "ads" with store art pieces in it. totally different approach from "building hype" by giving free clothes to marsupialed fashion bloggers.

so i think when you see all this in terms of just hype, "is this played out", that precise question IS what many of us hope SL won't become, just another hype beast vehicle. this should transcend the hype cycle, and if it doesn't that's when wackarello will have really undone what hedi created.

the hype cycle has its place, mostly for second-rate designers to play a game of who can sell the it piece this season to fashion buyers, right? this is the vetements story. but hedi's greatest innovation is to break it.

frankly, i respect him because he created all this DESPITE fashion insiders, the hype-creators, the people who decide what's "played out" and not, always hating him like trump hates a mexican.

so **** the hype cycle, if that's all you see here, you don't really see the point at all.
smile.gif

back to clothes for a second, picked up the new reissue destroyed og (not trash) black, great jeans. much more subtle distressing and bleaching. surprised more people aren't picking up the vintage L01, it's fantastic, i've been wearing the hell out of mine.

I agree with you. The thing I have always loved about hedi slp is that all his pieces are give or take timeless.. It breaks the BS you see in other brands, monograms etc. I just asked cause lets be frank, the biker denim was an item that got massive recognition. But anyways was just a simple shoutout thought... moving forward

Last edited:

haydrak

Reaction score

so **** the hype cycle, if that's all you see here, you don't really see the point at all. :)

@neonrider I am really considering getting the vintage L01.Do you mind posting some fit pics of the Jacket please.Thx.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads