• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stefano2

Reaction score
Where can I buy shoe trees that match the shape of SLP boots? I have regular ones but they don't fit well at all.

echau

Reaction score

Where can I buy shoe trees that match the shape of SLP boots? I have regular ones but they don't fit well at all.

I use woodlore boot trees.
They don't fit as perfect as an actual last, but they account for the instep.

mooose

Reaction score
My wife and I want leather jackets and we are going to Paris soon. Are the jackets cheaper in the USA or Paris? If Paris should I ship them home from the store or bring them back with me?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife and I want leather jackets and we are going to Paris soon. Are the jackets cheaper in the USA or Paris? If Paris should I ship them home from the store or bring them back with me?

You can check FR prices by going to YSL.com and changing your location to France. They are significantly cheaper.

You should theoretically save 20% or so for VAT if you ship it, however you will most likely pay 20% in duties so it evens out. If you just bring it back you have a good chance of the customs officer not caring even if you declare (I always do). I've never had to pay any duties on stuff I've physically brought back even though I've always declared full value.

mooose

Reaction score
You can check FR prices by going to YSL.com and changing your location to France. They are significantly cheaper.

You should theoretically save 20% or so for VAT if you ship it, however you will most likely pay 20% in duties so it evens out. If you just bring it back you have a good chance of the customs officer not caring even if you declare (I always do). I've never had to pay any duties on stuff I've physically brought back even though I've always declared full value.

Do the prices on the website include VAT?

Can I get VAT back when I leave the country? Do I need to show my passport when I buy it to get the VAT refund when leaving the country?

I usually declare stuff when I go home as its not worth the consequences of not declaring it and getting caught.

Last edited:

b19pen15

Reaction score
Can I get VAT back when I leave the country?
You'll get a VAT refund. Just mention it to the boutique and they'll give you a form. Fill out the form and have it, the receipt, and the item on you at the airport (don't put it in your checked-in luggage or else you won't get the refund). Allocate time at the airport to wait on line at customs to hand in the form.

You'll get the refund through whatever info you give them (bank account or credit card) in a few weeks.

b19pen15

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken a third-party agency will give you 12% back. Sometimes they're offered in certain shops as an immediate in-store refund (not sure if SLP has this), or they'll have locations at the airport which will give you cash on the spot. If you go to the customs office yourself, fill out the form yourself, and submit it/mail it, you should be able to get the full 20% back.

And by the way, bring your passport to the store.

Last edited:

KA1555

Reaction score
If anyone has a pair of cropped jodhpurs (black leather) in a 43.5 that they're looking to sell, I'd love to take 'em off your hands :D

[not sure if this sort of post is kosher in this thread - but on the off chance that it isn't, just let me know and I'll delete. Thanks!]

Last edited:

therattler

Reaction score
Kieran I know what you mean re: second hand. I want some leather that's a little more subtle. i might hold off on the on dior, if its there now, I'm sure ill be able to grab one later. maybe the palladium collection will have something - doesn't look like it though.

@ohyehhh im surprised to hear that they don't have a 3 passants in for you. i wonder if the stampede to grab hedi's stuff has started? i know they're pretty much out of the bikers in non huge sizes.

it's likely though that there will be a bunch of new produced PC stuff hitting the stores in the coming months, so we'll be able to stock up.

Last edited:

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would say FW16 don't sleep on anything you are considering buying if it is **** return it. And if it is good you should buy it straight away unless you want to regret for the next 5 years.

Randeep

Reaction score
To update - I went to Selfridges where they had both size 90 and 95.

In the end I got the 95 (yes, despite everything I've read) - with the 95 it looks good with my 31 (not too tight, not too loose), and with my size 30 jeans I can put it onto the 2nd to last notch and its fitted nicely though would loosen up a bit over time I imagine based on what I've read. The SA at Sloane Street (where they only had 95) thought 95 was better, and the SA at Selfridges (where they had both 90 and 95) insisted 95 was the one I should get.

The below is the 95 I bought at the tighest I'd wear it (with sz 30 jeans). I personally prefer the little extra overhang - I'll only ever wear the belt casually. If I was going to wear it with smart trousers I'd have gone with 90. Who knows.. maybe I should grab the 90 for the future as well but it's not exactly chump change
crazy.gif
baldy[1].gif

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To update - I went to Selfridges where they had both size 90 and 95. In the end I got the 95 (yes, despite everything I've read) - with the 95 it looks good with my 31 (not too tight, not too loose), and with my size 30 jeans I can put it onto the 2nd to last notch and its fitted nicely though would loosen up a bit over time I imagine based on what I've read. The SA at Sloane Street (where they only had 95) thought 95 was better, and the SA at Selfridges (where they had both 90 and 95) insisted 95 was the one I should get. The below is the 95 I bought at the tighest I'd wear it (with sz 30 jeans). I personally prefer the little extra overhang - I'll only ever wear the belt casually. If I was going to wear it with smart trousers I'd have gone with 90. Who knows.. maybe I should grab the 90 for the future as well but it's not exactly chump change :crazy:
Thanks for the feedback. I personally would go for size 90 (that's what I ordered). I'm size 31-32 in SLP denim and based on my research and now your notes I think I made the right choice. Congrats either way, perfect piece.

sbswish

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to purchase my first pair of cropped Jodhpur boots and I'm not sure how to go about the sizing. I have a slightly wide foot and I'm a true 10.5 in all shoes/boots /etc. I have come across a great deal on a pair in 10 and I'm dying to buy them but I know I will regret it if they don't fit right. Anyone have any idea as to how they for? I heard from a couple places that they run a little big. What's the word?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads