• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cropped chelsea (London last so similar to cropped jodhpur look)

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but I came across these Enzo Bonafé in Reddit, and I think they look great. When I saw that some people were trying to do an Enzo GMTO that resembled SLP aesthetic I thought it wouldn't capture the sleek look of SLP boots but I now think I was wrong.

I think they look great and they're cheaper and much better made than SLPs (hand welt vs. blake stitched with fake welt in the SLP).

I'm pretty sure made in Italy SLPs are cemented with a fake "decorative" welt and "decorative" stitching on the outsole.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure made in Italy SLPs are cemented with a fake "decorative" welt and "decorative" stitching on the outsole.

Well I'm not very familiar with the various iterations and countries where they are produced but a fake welt is already bad enough on $1k boots, if they're cemented and not even blake stitched that's just... I have no words.

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't mind the construction used for those boots since the adhesive used is pretty sturdy. Adhesive is also used regardless if soles are stitched on, if I remember correctly. The "sturdier" Goodyear welted shoes require a lot more break-in but SLP boots fit comfortably from day one.

The only con I can see is that it may be difficult/risky to get them re-soled. But resoling without the original last is always risky anyways. Best solution is to buy more so that you can rotate shoes between wears
1f604.png

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The construction is pretty garbage on most fashion boots (and a lot of clothes) - just have to accept it.

Last edited:

Randeep

Reaction score
The disick jeans aren't slp. I believe they are kusubi (or whatever that brand is)

Picking up the cowboy Wyatt tomorrow. I actually really liked the suede color this season. Not sure why people are all over the cut. I been wanted the cowboy suede for a bit and glad I held out. Like the slightly different opening and the big zipper
Damn man would be interested in seeing pics when they arrive + how they look on feet. You seen them anywhere online in size 42.5?

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's fashion, if you want practical stuff look at Japanesewear that is the closest to 'hybrid' fashion and practicality.

They use good fabric such as incotex. It's what Rick tries to achieve with his garments. Remember when he said all his jackets can fit a newspaper and a sandwich lol

anonimar

Reaction score

Some nice misinformation you're spreading. SLP boots are all blake stitched (with the exception of santiags I believe? which are GYW). Literally pick up any of your SLP boots and you'll see the blake stitch making its way all the way through the insole on the inside.

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? What makes you think that? Just curious.

I haven't been as motivated to find the absolute truth (requires deconstructing the boot and looking at is construction) but there are some hints that give away the decorative stitches and welt:

- Not blake-stitched because I don't feel the stitches you would find inside the insole of the shoe, manufacturers tend to want to show the shoe is stitched and want to show the stitches on the inside, it is kind of annoying since you can feel the stitches and scratches your feet very slightly in these type of shoes
- cropped jodhpurs for a period of time had sole without any decorative stitches (so it must be cemented)
- Tell-tale sign of not GYW because the stitches in the bottom don't line up with the stitches displayed from the welt (I haven't looked as closely to really verify this statement)
- Cemented because of the interface between the leather and the welt, more of a perpendicular angle than a slope downwards

The biggest proof for me was this:
- instagram photo of another person's defective pair of Wyatts that shows the leather upper and sole being cleanly separated and that the welt is attached to the sole (as one unit) and that no stitches were present (https://www.instagram.com/p/96jk-QEkS1/?tagged=wyattboots)
- this shows that their pair has a bon welt, no stitches, and held primarily through adhesive

With all this said, I still really like SLP boots because they look beautiful and feel very comfortable. Others have tried to imitate it but something is really special with the last they use. Indulging in this form of luxury is also about being able to live with the fact that you're using items that may not last long and being able to buy another pair to replace it without feeling too bothered with it.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some nice misinformation you're spreading. SLP boots are all blake stitched (with the exception of santiags I believe? which are GYW). Literally pick up any of your SLP boots and you'll see the blake stitch making its way all the way through the insole on the inside.

Yeah, you may be right since I never bothered really to look that closely. I'll take a look at 3 different pairs when I get home to see if I can feel anything.

anonimar

Reaction score
Yeah, you may be right since I never bothered really to look that closely. I'll take a look at 3 different pairs when I get home to see if I can feel anything.

Inside of Wyatts:

(side note, pretty neat seeing where my foot/toes actually sit within the last)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads