Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

1. leclutchjames

leclutchjames Senior member

Large looks okay but it's up to you

2. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

yanking pics of a lookbook? saint laurent's gotten really good at killing their own fans and buzz. you can see how dead this forum is recently since there are literally no pics to talk about. pretty dumb.

the large looks fine, in fact at that height/weight you should be ok with a medium. a fair isle fw13 is worth a decent amount, depends which one it is though. if it's in medium message me and i might buy it from you.

the new wyatts are way wider through the shaft (and the effect with the cowboys is multiplied since they're taller), but i agree that they're also more comfortable.

3. therattler

therattler Senior member

It is strange that they would care about fans promoting the brand (with official material) for free. We break their copyright law all the fucking time on here. Why not shut this down?

They ought to save some money by firing their current PR team.

At the same time, I sort of understand a luxury brand wanting to be careful about how they're represented. It's not hard for the wrong people to jump on board and render connotations tacky.

4. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

yeah exactly. i totally get caring about your brand. but a blog named "lustercatcher" from a die-hard fan like slann isn't hurting your brand. if anything, it's a pretty great thing. bearing in mind that the fashion press hates hedi, saint laurent pr should be reaching out to fans, not acting like jehovahs witnesses crashing a party.

5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

The look book is pretty great, but I must have missed where things were getting pulled. That's funny. That said, they're one or two steps from being overexposed (it crossed my mind when I was at their boutique and saw the Louis Vuitton backpack crowd looking at glasses).

6. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

It's shit really, but I guess if they wanted the look book photos out there then they'd put them on their own website (actually I think they should do this).

As for getting over-exposed - I was in Selfridges a couple of weeks back and heard one chap try on the suede jodhpur boots and remark how they were "very Harry Styles", and another came past 10 mins later and said to his girlfriend that "those are the boots that Harry wears" cringe. I kind of miss the days when the stores were deserted and you could almost be sure to find your size left even half way through the season (in all but the most popular items). Still, I'm glad it's successful as it means things will be sure to continue.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Sales went up from the very first season so stores were never "deserted", still I'd agree exposure has increased...

I must say that overexposure has make me unable to like beige suede boots worn with black jeans or leather jackets and I used to do that myself from time to time.

8. therattler

therattler Senior member

The overexposure can't last for much can it? Surely something else is blowing up.The trick is to stick to the look long after the hype dies. Analogous to those who dressed this way before Hedi made it easy.

Re: H. Styles, it blows my mind that anyone would associate that reference as positive. I always thought people had a sort of a ironic or cynical distance towards it. Like, 'I hate that 1D dresses like this; nonetheless I do it anyways.'

9. rokor

rokor Senior member

I think a lot of the die hard SLP guys fail to realize that as a brand, the goal is to make money. Hedi doesn't have nearly as much control over the brand as some of you seem to think. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that's into the concept of lowering quality while raising prices, which has been happening every season since 13. It's fine to resent the corporate mentality but it seems arrogant to get mad about the fact that you're starting to look the same as other people. Not being able to get certain pieces because of overexposure is another issue though, I can understand the frustration in that.

10. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Yeah I'd say Hedi is pretty uncompromising about cut and quality, but they have to make money right? At least the seasonal items tend to be fantastic and it's only really some of the permanent collection stuff that gets messed with.

11. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

In the UK at least, stores were very quiet. It wasn't unusual to spend 90 minutes or so in store and not see another customer, not so much now. The clothes were moving much slower at that time too - while the L01 was selling like crazy here for example along with the skinny black raws, lots of other stuff was selling very slowly and still left at the end of the season.

12. scanner

scanner Senior member

From what I know, the stores on Rodeo at least have actually stopped ordering anything in nut / ochre color way, or hyped items like jodhpurs and chelseas, biker jeans, etc, specifically because they get about 50 calls a day asking if any are in stock. Some of the management has also expressed that Hedi and some of the higher ups have been concerned with only certain items selling in boatloads and diluting the brand. If you go there now, there are a lot of new items that I've never seen any of the other stores or even ysl.com carry that the SA's are told to try to sell over the bigger selling items, which makes sense anyway, don't want most of your items to the sale route. On a side note, the fully lined wool DH style zipper/hood jacket in particular is one of the coolest sleeper items and I've never seen it anywhere else but Rodeo.

13. scanner

scanner Senior member

Also, in LA at least, most of the stores are pretty bare.. Not empty or deserted but you may see at most 5-10 people at a time. If you see waves of people, they're not usually there to shop. In fact I hardly ever see people actually buy anything.

14. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

The Ave. Montaigne SLP store was pretty full, though customer service was impeccable. I saw a nice mix of types. Didn't really see any young brash morons, fortunately; there were, however, several clearly young-money types who were attempting to transition from investment/sysadmin to rock star looks. So that was amusing to watch.

15. ohyehhh

ohyehhh Senior member

Hey dude, didn't you buy the leather high hedi jodhpurs? If so do you have any more pictures of how they've broken in/changed in hue etc... I wanted to perhaps buy them myself to wear with distressed black jeans but I found thr boots in leather looked too .classy. for that