Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It won't detract from the look of the boots/shoes if done right. There is a proper way of doing it, by removing a layer of the sole and placing a rubber piece in there of the same height then shaving it off and painting the midsole (not sharpie) so that it looks flawless. It's those small details and proper way of doing it that makes a difference.

As for benefits, no more sliding around and crack your head on the pavement when you slip? It's much more comfortable with the rubber sole? Though there are some debate on it, I am on the side that topy does make shoes last longer (especially on the toe and heels which deteriorate faster, metal toe or heel taps works too).

Honestly, just the traction is enough of a reason for me, I walk in too many building with marble floors that is just waiting for my ass to land on them.

2. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Classic Shoe Repairs would definitely do a better job than that, and it's not particularly expensive either (cheaper than Timpsons who do terrible work). I don't know if the rubber has any brand, but it's been high quality because it's been very durable so far and I wear these cropped jodhpurs from SS14 almost daily.

On whether to add them or not, the way Classic Shoe Repairs add the rubber sole doesn't really detract from the look of the shoe whatsoever, and for me they're a necessity as regular leather soles get worn down far too quickly, especially with pointed models such as the French / duckies.

3. thorns

thorns Senior member

Do you mind posting a picture of your jodhpur beaters? I want to see how the leather ages and if it really is that necessary to baby these boots that much.

4. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

Would definitely appreciate it. B Nelson quoted me $40/pair for Topy or similar which is quite reasonable, I think. I'm planning on visiting SLP in NYC on my return to ask about recommendations as well.

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

B. Nelson is well regarded.

Whichever shop you use, make sure you leave specific instructions (if not handling it in person).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

6. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Thorns I will when I have some time. I don't use a smart phone so it's a bit of an effort for me to get out a camera and then connect it to my computer etc. Hopefully I'll have some time at the weekend.

Honestly though, they hold up really well. I've hammered these in all weather conditions, and worn them to gigs and raves and they still look great after a clean and shine with an old t-shirt (I don't even use polish). They're obviously creased but I like that about them - I personally don't like the look of new shoes.

7. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

So, somewhat related question. I've realized that the Hedi 30 look is really growing on me. I might get the suede version in the near future. But who else makes similar stuff? My guess is I'll need to look at non-US makers: C&J, Carmina, and the like. But what do you guys think? Particularly interested in the combination of sleek last + higher-than-usual heel.

8. thorns

thorns Senior member

Story et Fall has 30mm heel boots. More English looking lasts so not quite as sleek/sharp.

9. hmtwrk

hmtwrk Senior member

i don't know what the hype is about story et fall. a super round toe on a chelsea boot just looks goofy to me.

10. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

wait, SEF is super round now?

peep bottega and let me know if that's still your stance.

11. Jbidwal

Jbidwal Senior member

SEF to me isn't super round. I bought and returned the slp Chelsea's actually. They look like any other Chelsea and not worth the grand.

12. hmtwrk

hmtwrk Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yeah it's super round and i can't stand the way it looks. if you wear these with SLP you need to get punched.

13. Jbidwal

Jbidwal Senior member

Those might be the first design. They aren't that round anymore.

14. hmtwrk

hmtwrk Senior member

...but enough about wack boots. the tan french snap boots have been my goto lately, love the design -- i'd even get a pair in black calf if they offered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. leclutchjames

leclutchjames Senior member

Yup that's like the very first batch. You're very misinformed buddy