1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

1. scanner

scanner Senior Member

I wasn't talking about pulling off super skinny or runway, what I mean by intended Slimane look is long and stacky but close to your skin. No hemming or tapering. In fact I'm not sure they do this anymore but the boutiques used to deny hemming your jeans, they would only tailor them as close and skin tight as possible. This isn't necessarily to pull off the super skinny look, it's so that the stacks fold against so that you have a nice clean, edgy, but tailored silhouette. If you look at the way Hedi dresses, he's not really super skinny, but his jeans are tailored like a pair of trousers and he has stacks from the knees down, done tastefully. Most people seem to just throw on the jeans off the rack and it looks quite sloppy.

And sorry for omitting you Prudy, you definitely wear SLP very well and elegantly, Even in just a t shirt, jeans and boots.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

2. kieran84

kieran84 Senior Member

I have the western belt (two actually) and it's great quality and pretty durable.

On the stacking thing, I really like both. I also don't think one needs to be tall for it to work - for example there are a couple of sales assistants here in the UK that aren't tall and wear their jeans cropped and they look excellent and exactly as Slimane intends. Stacks look good too and save the hassle of having different lengths for different shoes. I still think they work better with a little chopped off so there's not too much gathering up.

3. mcking

mcking Senior Member

I hear ya, I can def agree regarding the denim.

4. neonrider

neonrider Senior Member

i think that comment was directed partly at me, yes scanner? i think we (should) aim for a slightly better level of discussion than trollish baiting here. "do you look like a runway model" is a great way NOT to discuss anything interesting, otherwise this is just cosmo or gq in another form.

here's the real deal. the "slimane look" changes every season. but the idea does not.

slimane is trying to create an aesthetic, a way of being at home, a feeling, that's precisely why he focuses so hard on the presentation and photography, and uses non-models in the first place. to make the point that you can get the look without the feeling--but that is pointless. so a better question is: do you evoke (or feel yourself) the feeling he's trying to produce? to get the "sl look" it's probably more useful to get the feeling, the experience, point...or you probably won't be able to carry it off (or enjoy it) at all.

behind the comment is another comment: there are two kinds of people here. one, those who hate people who give advice, because it causes them some kind of moral outrage. i.e., "who are you to think you're better than anyone else?" two, those who seek and give advice. probably because that's just kind of how the world works. personally, i'd leave the moralism at home (or in church).

5. youwhat

youwhat Senior Member

He doesn't but carry on.

Just don't know how people can think a pair of jeans that comes in a standard length looks as good on people under 5 and half foot and over 6.

6. scanner

scanner Senior Member

Not sure where you get the idea that my comment was directed at you, because it wasn't. Trollish Baiting? I can respect your loyalty and admiration to Slimane, but I was merely talking about how the jeans should fit, in response to the many off the rack sloppy jean fits we've been getting. There is no comment behind my comment, so i'd appreciate it if you leave me out of one of your emotional rants. I mentioned specific users that always throw out solid jean fits, apologies if you feel offended that I did not include you.

7. Prudy

Prudy Senior Member

@kieran84 the western belt is tops, It's my favorite I love the design and it's well-made, too.

I think we call all agree that as individuals, we have different ideas about what our 'perfect SLP' look is. As @neonrider said, the styles change but the ideas prevail, hopefully...

Personally, I can't (for my own authenticity and style) but wish I could pull off ripped-to-hell denim + L01 but people like neon do it flawlessly IMO. I think it's whatever works. Attitude is paramount in all cases for the most swagger ;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

8. neonrider

neonrider Senior Member

why thanks prudy :)

scanner no worries dude, let's relax and enjoy the clothes and ideas. if this is a forum, i'm more than happy for people to look stupid and ask questions, no matter how trivial or seemingly pointless. i remember when i was first trying on slimane's dior stuff...i really could have used some help, i was a tragic case :)

here's a question. what's everyone doing for fall/winter outerwear? i've tried on all the coats/jackets but i have to confess nothing really moved me. i mean they were all mostly great but nothing like stood out to me as obviously better or worse. except maybe the fur coats but i think i'd rather have a car than a coat :)

9. scanner

scanner Senior Member

Fair enough, too much good stuff going on in SL world. I almost picked up a nylon bomber over the weekend but the epaulets give off a bit of a militant vibe. I'm really excited about the hooded fur bomber though for winter.

10. kieran84

kieran84 Senior Member

I'm not trying to argue but just in the interest of accurate information - maybe in DH days that was the case, but 95% of the runway models have the jeans hemmed with no break or cropped, and Hedi himself wears his cropped too. Also boutiques here have always offered hemming free of charge since SS 13.

11. kieran84

kieran84 Senior Member

Yes Prudy it's a great belt - one of my favourites along with the 3 passant and the plainer Saint Germain. I'd also like one of the double strap ones from SS 14, but almost nowhere has ever bought it:

[​IMG]

12. Prudy

Prudy Senior Member

^^ wish i could wear a bomber they make me look like a tomato.

13. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

Picked up the Hedi jacket in black suede. Quality seems top notch. The feel is silky smooth. Posted this in the leathers thread, but figured with all the great looks here I could take it down a notch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Prudy

Prudy Senior Member

^^ yeah, man that's fantastic!

15. thorns

thorns Senior Member

Nice slim thighs to rock that washed denim.