• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cloonz

Reaction score

Has anyone tried the new knee ripped black denim?? are they soft like previous seasons or is the denim thicket and stiff? also how is the sizing?

I just got a pair in today and did not like them at all. They are stiff but probably loosen a lot after wear since they are quite thin. I went TTS with 28 and will be returning them tomorrow.

Also, went to the boutique today on 57th street and picked up the Nashville shirt plus some French 85 chelseas. They are comfortable but I'm not great walking in them yet. Went with a 42, I take 41 in all of the 45mm boots.

CL628

Reaction score
ssense got a few new things in. Really tempted to pick up a denim shirt, also these boots look great.

Last edited:

neonrider

Reaction score
yo newbies i've given sizing advice like fifty times in this thread (and so have plenty of others), stop being so lazy and scroll back and read it.

prudy and cloonz the 85s look awesome. really cool.

Miyavikira

Reaction score
Would like some of you guys' opinions. I got the 5 zip raw and like them very much with my wyatts but have been contemplating to shorten the hem of them to give off the feel of the models on the Fall15 walkway where they don't have the usual 'stacks'. When I wear my pants they are usually heavily 'stacked' against my wyatts which makes me constantly adjust them after walking etc. Here is a pic of what I am trying to refer to:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I hem most of mine to hang with no break, a slight break, or even slightly cropped depending on what shoes I plan to wear with them. To me it just looks cleaner. I'd recommend wearing them for a few days first though as they get shorter from the creasing at the back of the knee. I cropped some when they were brand new and they ended up too short for me for that reason. You also might find that when you sit down they come up at the knee and you might need to be constantly pulling them down when you stand up depending on how skinny they are at the calves.

85 mm boots looking good guys. I really like them but wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them in public.

AB77

Reaction score
IMHO unless you have a model body with long legs, having little or no break will makes you look stumpier & shorter. Having stack actually helps for the bulkier & shorter guy to give that silhouettes, especially when wearing SLP stuff which is mostly designed for thinner & taller framed person.

Miyavikira

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. I am pretty skinny, wear size 27 but most likely can wear a 26 but the problem for me is my height. I am around 175cm, but not sure if I can pull off that 'clean' look for my height even though I have my skinny'ish body structure to compensate for it.

nicksh

Reaction score
hasn't been a ton of d01 love in here lately. not the best pic, but snap of my 17cm raw blacks at work after a fresh wash. size 29, 1 down. (not slp boots)

Last edited:

dieseltheory

Reaction score
hey guys....first post on the forum, long time reader....lol that sounded like one of those radio call ins....

have a pair of SLP ripped knee/patch from earlier this season, size 29

https://*****************/listings/160492-saint-laurent-paris-15-5cm-ripped-knee-patched

have it listed on grailed for $620, but will take $600 for them, i'm usually a 28 in the raw/washed cuts, so i thought since this was already a bit stretchy, i could live with 29...but i feel like it would be loose, so am getting rid of it, wore it once at home to walk around in and get "feel" of it....tags still on, got it from mr porter

will post photos if anyone is interested

Thatsteez

Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about the Hedi interview posted a page back. It's very rare that he gives insight and access to his thought process.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hearing the reasoning behind the reformation and non-cenceptual design style of the brand really gave me a greater appreciation.

Some of my favorite parts:

Next to this idea, I am attached to a “lightness” in the definition of fashion, a certain hedonism, maybe closer to the perspective of fashion in the 70s and 80s. A dress to get laid, dancing shoes, a prom suit, anything that makes someone feel good about themselves and confident, without going too deep into concepts or being dead-serious about the clothes.

Any piece has to feel real, from an evening gown that needs a perfect luxury and couture execution, to a leather jacket or a pair of denim that can’t feel “designed.“
It is not about “high and low,” but a certain “noblesse” in everything if the execution feels just right.

youwhat

Reaction score
wonder what his thought process was to blatant copies he did in last couple years.

also wonder why he's stopped taking a bow at last few shows.

Last edited:

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
IMHO unless you have a model body with long legs, having little or no break will makes you look stumpier & shorter. Having stack actually helps for the bulkier & shorter guy to give that silhouettes, especially when wearing SLP stuff which is mostly designed for thinner & taller framed person.
Really? I would've thought the stacks just make it look like the jeans/pants are too long for your legs.

Significantly cropped stuff on the other hand (Thom Browne, or Nick Wooster's habitually cropped bottoms) seem to work better for shorter men. But that's just IMO...

There's no help for "bulk" though. Just have to get rid of it.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about the Hedi interview posted a page back. It's very rare that he gives insight and access to his thought process. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hearing the reasoning behind the reformation and non-cenceptual design style of the brand really gave me a greater appreciation. Some of my favorite parts: Next to this idea, I am attached to a “lightness” in the definition of fashion, a certain hedonism, maybe closer to the perspective of fashion in the 70s and 80s. A dress to get laid, dancing shoes, a prom suit, anything that makes someone feel good about themselves and confident, without going too deep into concepts or being dead-serious about the clothes. Any piece has to feel real, from an evening gown that needs a perfect luxury and couture execution, to a leather jacket or a pair of denim that can’t feel “designed.“ It is not about “high and low,” but a certain “noblesse” in everything if the execution feels just right.
I thought it was an interesting read, too, in particular re: his creative process and sourcing of fabrics. When I read about semiotics I thought "so French."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads