• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting this info but it's completely incorrect.

YSL E commerce in USA is really only run by one person and she handles every order individually which is why it takes a while to process.
There are no buyers at the boutiques, they receive items based on what the house wants to represent. Yes the styles are based on region and location, which is why SLP LA will have more casual goods than NY, but it's all based on what the house sends them. There are managers there but they don't do any of the buys. Most of the people at SLP boutiques are about as in the know as you and I.

Also the exclusive styles that some stores may get aren't really from SLP but from Kering. They end up releasing accessories and other items from their factories and slap the labels on. There is a noticeable difference in items sold by mr porter/yoox and at the actual boutique.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the info :) I just think it's funny how luisa has had one of the products available for a while now but not ysl.com.

And btw, how come some of the Saint Laurent products I can find on different sites never come on the ysl.com site?
Is it possible that the boutiques have products for the new season that are never available online?
Yes, for sure.

caudex

Reaction score
Apologies if I was incorrect. I just ordered a sport coat from ysl.com and my receipt email came from yoox. This is why I figured they handled their e-commerce.

At some boutiques in Beverly Hills, managers do the buying or at least co-buy each season. Each place has it's own way of working.

Regardless, I was just trying to point out why selections vary from place to place.

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if I was incorrect. I just ordered a sport coat from ysl.com and my receipt email came from yoox. This is why I figured they handled their e-commerce.

At some boutiques in Beverly Hills, managers do the buying or at least co-buy each season. Each place has it's own way of working.

Regardless, I was just trying to point out why selections vary from place to place.

Interesting, they must have changed their online system. Probably why Yoox was selling saint laurent for a few weeks and suddenly took everything down. As odd as it sounds, after ordering SLP from various places - matches, porter, boutiques, yoox, maxfield. The quality of the garments in the boutiques is much better than elsewhere.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting, they must have changed their online system. Probably why Yoox was selling saint laurent for a few weeks and suddenly took everything down. As odd as it sounds, after ordering SLP from various places - matches, porter, boutiques, yoox, maxfield. The quality of the garments in the boutiques is much better than elsewhere. 

Do you mean quality of the clothing or quality of what's actually available? If the former, I really haven't noticed any difference between items I've purchased from the SL stores compared to other retailers. Also, aren't all like-items made in the same factory? Like all the silk t-shirts made in the same place.

On another note, those $1,000 knit t-shirts are so nuts. Gorgeous, lightweight merino wool knit into tees but my God is that price crazy. I thought my threshold for price was high but I guess not high enough.

The best thing I have tried on from Spring so far has been the pleather jeans. Didn't think I would like them at all but they are pretty damn cool. Fit is good, material straight up feels like leather, and they have a good weight to them. A little heavy maybe for summer but in California, they're perfect.

Last edited:

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean quality of the clothing or quality of what's actually available? If the former, I really haven't noticed any difference between items I've purchased from the SL stores compared to other retailers. Also, aren't all like-items made in the same factory? Like all the silk t-shirts made in the same place.

On another note, those $1,000 knit t-shirts are so nuts. Gorgeous, lightweight merino wool knit into tees but my God is that price crazy. I thought my threshold for price was high but I guess not high enough.

The best thing I have tried on from Spring so far has been the pleather jeans. Didn't think I would like them at all but they are pretty damn cool. Fit is good, material straight up feels like leather, and they have a good weight to them. A little heavy maybe for summer but in California, they're perfect.
For example, I bought a pair of raw jeans at the boutique and they are noticeably heavier, thicker, and cut differently than the pair i just got on mr porter, which are lighter, thinner, but nicer cut. I bought a couple button ups at the boutique which feel really nice and luxurious. bought the same version of shirt in another color on yoox and it was much heavier and not cut as nicely, but still maintained the new details. I just think there are different runs of things that are sold in store in limited quantities vs mass produced items that are given to other retailers.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For example, I bought a pair of raw jeans at the boutique and they are noticeably heavier, thicker, and cut differently than the pair i just got on mr porter, which are lighter, thinner, but nicer cut. I bought a couple button ups at the boutique which feel really nice and luxurious. bought the same version of shirt in another color on yoox and it was much heavier and not cut as nicely, but still maintained the new details. I just think there are different runs of things that are sold in store in limited quantities vs mass produced items that are given to other retailers. 

Interesting you say that as I've noticed no differences. Not saying your wrong but to me, that seems like that would be the worst and least cost-effective way of manufacturing. I know there's a lot of different fabric compositions from cotton to silk to viscose, etc. but differing weights and feels for the same shirt, same season is just plain weird.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It might be different places of production.

The raw denim especially, seems to be produced both in Japan and Italy for the same cut

As far as I know (and I believe there was talk of this elsewhere in the forum) the jeans have varied in the country they're manufactured in by different seasons. On ysl.com's website there is still made in Japan denim and then made in Italy for the same style jean, just different seasons.

I could see changing manufacturers by season, that would make sense. But changing manufacturing mid season while filling orders is totally odd to me. Not to say it can't happen but based on Hedi making a lot of the fabrics custom for the line, you would think they'd be the same (feel, weight, etc) even if the manufacturing changed. Just find it interesting is all.

kelice

Reaction score
Seems strange to me that the same model of a product vary in quality and slightly in design as some of you say, depending on where you buy it.
I thought ysl.com was Saint Laurent's official online seller. When I've asked about a product that was sold out online they could tell me in what boutiques it was still available.. hmm...

runningfrog

Reaction score

chomeo

Reaction score
yea. crazy price is it?

what do you think of the quality? say compare to Dior's if you have any?

runningfrog

Reaction score

yea. crazy price is it?

what do you think of the quality? say compare to Dior's if you have any?

i got mine from ssense for $315 and i thought that was a deal. lol

i only have japanese denim (samurais and skulls) to compare against. the slp raws came super dark and rigid. the construction/quality appear to be good (tag says made in japan), although i'll have to see how they hold up. they aren't that thick, maybe 12-13oz. the leg opening on the 15.5cm is 6" (size 28), so these are easily the slimmest jeans i've ever owned.

really minimal details, which i like. the front pockets are surprisingly usable.

i have the 15.5 coated black (made in italy) and i think the raws are better quality. raws fit slimmer in the waist than coated black, but leg fit is similar.

Babar

Reaction score

They use several denim qualities for each cut, ie selvage, non-selvage, 98% cotton etc, and there are different variations of the rise on the same cut too iirc. The jeans you bought might have been from different seasons as well. To me it sounds really unlikely that the exact same items are made to different specs for their boutiques.

Fwiw, I have two pairs of the 17,5cm cut with and without selvage and they are very different, with the selvage being a lot larger sized and having a thinner denim that still looks new after several washes, whereas the non selvage uses a denim that looks and feels different, and fit tight all over and broke in and got whiskers etc really quickly.. Both were from the first season so perhaps the production has changed by now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads