Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Yes, construction is solid, too, mostly half canvass, and some hand stitching I noticed, MII.

They have some blazers that are fully canvassed, however, those are usually priced at around $3.5K for the jacket alone. Very sharp, but again, the huge shoulders kill it for me.

The price points on the full suits at around 3K is not bad for high-end fashion. The materials look nice. Trousers are always massive, haha, definitely have to get them tapered, but the tailors in NYC are pretty familiar with it.

2. ryansmith

ryansmith Senior member

I would buy duplicates of plain black or indigo D02, the best jeans by far I've ever owned for look and fit. I have weighed the same since I was 18 so not concerned about that.

3. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

^ Agreed. Nicest jeans I've ever had.

4. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Yeah, I find that, too - it's the denim and jumpers, mostly. I also have a black merino wool turtle neck from the '13 permanent collection that is stellar, but have found the non-RTW versions since have left something to be desired. I, too, have that striped jumper from SS14 that you have and wear it under my marine blue pea coat all the time :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

5. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Is it the thin merino black turtle neck from AW13 that you have Prudy? If so it's the turtleneck version of the crew neck I have, and the fit for me is perfect - very slim without being tight, and looks really sleek with black jeans and boots.

That striped jumper is awesome - again perfectly cut, and the black and ivory is really nice. I wear mine with the peacoat, black jeans and boots, or even with cropped black jeans and a pair of vans authentics for a more casual look.

Did you get the short navy peacoat with the gold buttons?

6. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Hey, yep - the thin black one from '13, it's super sleek.

I got the cropped pea coat that has regular (non-anchor) buttons. It's cotton w/ some poly blend. It's nicely fitted/cropped, almost fits like a double-breasted suit coat but a bit bigger, of course!

It's this one or like it, at least...

[​IMG]

I think it's FW13 but might be SS14 I can't remember...I wish I had the one w/ the gold buttons!

7. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Yeah that's the same one I have, but mine is the crew. I love it and wear it a lot. I'd buy the v neck, the cardigan, and the turtleneck if I could go back. Pricing was great as well (crew was only £340). Same with our striped black and ivory jumper - £340 seems really cheap now compared to newer knitwear, and is actually closer to t-shirt pricing.

I think that peacoat is from SS13 as I tried the black one that Luisaviaroma had at Selfridges during SS13. Very fitted and actually was a little small in the arms for me, causing it to look a bit distorted at the shoulder. I saw a member of staff try one at the same time though, and it looked really great on him. I also liked the cropped navy one with gold buttons from that season, but didn't get to try one.

8. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Oh, that makes sense, SS13...I bought the last one from YSL.com in the late summer, if I remember correctly.

It is quite small in the shoulder, I had to size up one but I really like the fit. It looks better 'open' IMO but looks great both ways (I think my body type is less suited to the double-breasted style, honestly).

Yeah, I wish I'd gotten more of those merino wool pieces as well! Hopefully they go back to that formula at some point!

9. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Speaking of ordering jackets from YSL.com, I just ordered this the other day...gets here in a few days.

I've been really wanting a good military-type parka for a few years, haven't found one I liked but I saw this so I'm taking a chance on it. The SA said it was more of a fitted style, not oversized so hoping it fits nicely.

We'll see when it gets here - something about it, the goat leather/studs and the parka with the high collar are calling to me, but I'll need to try it on in person to see how it jibes, has anyone tried this jacket yet? My thinking is this will look killer w/ the raw hem denim, santiags, etc....

[​IMG]

10. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Did you go to 50 for that peacoat then? I never bother trying the 50s because I always think they're going to be huge, but then the jackets from SS13 were pretty fitted and very much like the campaign photos so I would have probably had more success with 50s in some styles that season. I remember trying the mandarin collar denim and the sleeves were way up my wrists - cool jacket though.

I like military jackets, and even if they're a bit boxy, they still look good with black skinny jeans so you should be okay. I liked the parka with the fur from last season, but didn't try it so it may have been too over-sized. A bit more money than I'd like to spend on a military jacket as well. I also don't think they suit my colouring too well, and that maybe they look better on dark haired people or something.

11. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Yeah, I went up to 50. I'm normally a 48 or even a 46, depending. That particular pea coat was quite fitted, I don't think I could have even buttoned up a 48!

I like them, too - but, like you, I think I'm really picky about them. I liked this one as it has some rock and roll to it. I have a hard time plunking down cash for just a straight parka as I usually like a more fitted look and would rather pay for that.

If I just wanted a boxy, funky parka I'd go military surplus. So, hoping this parka is a more fitted cut like the SA said.

12. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

I guess we're a fairly similar size then as I took a medium in both of those jumpers, and tend to be a 48 in most jackets. Although I'm a 39 in shirts, and I think you might have mentioned that you take a 38 in shirts. Gives me some faith that the Breton top might fit me. I really need to get down to London soon and try one.

13. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

14. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

^^ that's a good look

I recently bought a pair of '13 double-buckle rangers from neon, too - thinking those will look swell w/ that parka come fall.

Sounds like we are the same size, definitely - I wear a 38 sometimes but half the time I wear a 39.

15. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

hope you're enjoying the double buckles prudy!

that peacoat (like most of the old stuff) was cut tiiiny. i have a few blazers from that season, i had to size up to 50 too. once i did size up the cut was amazing tho :)

as far as field jackets go, i'd probably grab the one with the angels and dragons embroidery on the back if i was a field jacket kinda guy.

why do i buy backups? let me put the question in a different way.

why is hedi's new philosophy "forever classics" working for me?

hmm, partly because i hate having too much variety, it complicates my life. i think style should be simple, not a pain. real style should be part of your life, not just decoration and ornamentation. i don't want to add pointless work to my life.
    like if we were the kind of guys that spend an hour choosing a purple or an orange tie in the morning, then we surely wouldn't be the kind of guys wearing biker jackets and skinny jeans. THIS kind of style should be effortless, natural, and easy, not complicated, and over involved.

so when i bitched out whomever on this thread earlier about desperately wanting a Billion Pairs of Lookalike Designer Jeans, it's because the point of this stuff is not fashion. it's very much the opposite. buy a handful of new classics, wear them to death, don't overcomplicate it, if you need it in fifty shades, you're doing it wrong.

so when something's really good i buy like two or three of them and just wear them to death. it's like having less of what you really need, instead more of what you think you want. :) :) :)