• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prudy

Reaction score
I would go in there and just say I bought these but they are too big I need a....

SLP boots aren't rotting on the vine, they will just sell them to someone else who wants them.

gooosu

Reaction score
I would go in there and just say I bought these but they are too big I need a....

SLP boots aren't rotting on the vine, they will just sell them to someone else who wants them.
sounds good.

Bussit

Reaction score
Ive got KVA diors 19cm i sized down 1 take in waist like half inch cu when you squat it shows your crack now it doesnt it sits right on ******

What i dont like is its 100% cot so no stretch and its quite uncomfortable beingn raw around the knees and stomach when you sit even worse when you eat. I wont wash then tho cuz i like the dark colour very nice these are mijs 'raw blue' if i had money i would buy another pair to wash for fades. The dye is pretty good stays on.
I have the same pair but in 17.5. The taper isn't as aggressive as my SLP jeans so it's nice to have something different for my wardrobe. I really like the dye they used too.

any recommendations?
I use Superfeet 3/4 insoles (http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals/delux-mens-3-4?___SID=U) for my work shoes and my SLP derbies if I plan to be on my feet for an extended period of time. I use these for my sneakers though: http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/black . If you're feeling real edgy, you can get the latter and cut it to be a 3/4 insole for the lower profile as can be shown in the link.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heel slippage usually goes when the leather sole breaks in, assuming it's not too significant. Unless your feet are nearly coming up out of them, then they should end up fine based on my experience.

Randeep

Reaction score
(excluding the biker jeans which i don't wear that often) i have only just bought my 2nd pair of slp jeans in the last few months - the ripped back and front jeans from ss15 and just the other day the new super-destroyed.

i've remembered several times some people (neonrider, kieran) have mentioned they've bought a 'backup' pair if they really liked the cut and style and whatever. i almost did this like a sperg with the biker jeans (glad i didn't) but do you guys think its worth it with stuff like the ss15 ripped back/front jeans? why do you guys even do it? i mean the jean cotton is pretty thick/substantial so i'd hope that even with a lot of wear it's not going to change it's shape -that-much (i won't be washing them).

so yeah - do you buy 'backups' as a consequence of the slp jeans which i dont have much experience with not retaining their shape after significant wear? i can imagine wearing these ripped back/front jeans several times a week for the rest of summer and early autumn.

btw: reason i can justify to myself to buy another pair of the ripped back/front jeans is because i think that's a seasonal item so if it's brand new it will retain its value (i.e. i could sell at RRP if i wanted to get rid next year) - versus say the biker jeans which have become a signature line and the market is diluted with them.. do people agree?

Last edited:

Randeep

Reaction score
i can't really -afford- them either, hence my question :) maybe it's a silly idea because there will always be some new spin on a given style every season and that could be money towards something in the next season.

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well for things like the plain black jeans or the destroyed denim its okay because its always gonna look cool

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, your style is going to change, you're not going to be wearing SLP for the rest of your life, don't buy multiples of anything unless you are an actual slab of granite and need to make it through the next 1000 years with tight designer jeans

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, I tend towards the plainer items, but am most concerned with the fit. For example, the only jeans I like are the plain black raw 15.5s and the plain indigo 15.5s. They last very well and retain their shape, but they won't last forever. The reason I doubled up on the AW13 versions of these jeans is that from SS14 onwards, the sizing was made considerably bigger, and even sizing down to 28 didn't give me the same look, and so I tracked down a second pair of each and banked them away for the future. Maybe I won't need them, maybe I'll grow to like the looser ones that came later, or maybe SLP will take the sizing back to how it was, but at least I've got them as back up if not.

Those aren't the only thing that have been watered down a little either, for example when I saw the fit of the knits from SS14 which were very standard looking, I decided to double up on the extra fine merino crew necks from AW13 which are an amazing fit and that I wear a lot. I also have two of the black and ivory striped knits from SS14. Didn't buy two straight away, but after seeing how much I liked it (the fit is amazing and I love it under a peacoat), and seeing that later striped knits just haven't even came close to it (I bought and returned the cashmere Breton from this season for example), I decided to get a second one to keep for future use. Same with many of the items I have two of. Some things I didn't really need to bother as they haven't changed, such as the silk pocket t shirts, but then these are a very classic item which will always get use anyway.

I would also like to be able to go back in time and get two of several other items. Top priority being the peacoat from AW13. I literally wear it all the time, and the fit is perfect for me, so I'd love a second one to keep for best, but it's too late now. I tried the FW14 version, but it's massive and shapeless compared to my one. Hopefully next season's peacoat from look 1 will be nicely cut, and I'll be able to buy that, and if so I'll be glad I didn't double up. But I'm not holding my breath.I also wish I'd doubled up on the Blake 30 cropped jodhpurs from SS14 as for me they were a nicer shape and had a sturdier sole than later models, so now I'm holding out and hoping they do something else with them such as slap them on a Hedi 30 sole or something. I'd also love to be able to buy the cotton / wool blend striped pocket t shirt from AW13 again (the new one is very nice from this season, but you can't really have too many), and the plain grey aged cotton pocket t-shirt from the same season, as these haven't appeared again and are a classic item where it would be useful to have more than one.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that's gotten better is the suiting. I remember the first season or two they looked and seemed to be cut still the same as YSL, which was boring. Now the sleeves are finally slimmer, high armholes, tighter waist, etc. Still too much padding in the shoulders for me, but I guess that goes with the lurching look.

Kieran, I hear you on peacoats. I have a Dior one from a few seasons ago that was cut so perfectly slim and now they've expanded the cut to go with todays' trends, I guess, and it doesn't drape as well on my body. It looks like I'm wearing a super expensive J Crew peacoat. My go-to one is starting to show wear after a few years.

Prudy

Reaction score
I have a peacoat from fw13 and it's my daily beast. Fantastic coat.

A lot of the SS14 items were great as well, and I think each season has it's gems. SS15 has some as well, I love the raw hem denim, for example, and some of the tunics and other shirts are quite nice.

Like you, I wish I had been more proactive and bought duplicates but I am doing it now at least with the denim .

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with the suiting and really need to get around to trying some. One thing that is high on my list is the skinny gabardine trousers that first appeared on the AW13 runway, which I believe have been carried over. Stores have never got sizes in though, and the online store have never stocked them. I'll have to get some transferred maybe when I get around to it.

Your description of the DH peacoat being like J Crew is just like my experience. The AW14 one is nicely made, has nice details, and nice fabric, but based on the fit on me it might as well have come from the high street. Mine is still in pretty good shape even though I've worn it a lot, but it will get old, and it would be nice to have one in brand new condition for special occasions, or for future use.

My taste doesn't really change so I'm not too worried about getting stuck with things I don't like. For example I'd still wear the AW 2005 DH peacoat I had if it would still fit me, and the AW 2006 one that was basically the same but with rounded edges on the collar. Both were really nice and would look just as relevant today as they did then.

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely Prudy, each season has really strong pieces. Most problems seem to be coming up on the items that become basic carry over - for example the hooded tops are no longer slim and cropped, still nice details, but long and loose.

Prudy

Reaction score
Suiting is quite nice IME....great fit. Pants come huge though if you buy as a suit so buy from a boutique that will do great tailoring. I usually buy pants and jacket separately at SLP.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads