Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is something that I, and many others, have thought and written about, pretty extensively. Styleforum is a prime example of what the internet enables. Right now, we have people in Australia, the UK, throughout all of North America, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, France, Belgium, Germany, Brazil, some legitimate users from India and the Philippines, and so on, all constantly and instantly exchanging information, knowledge, opinions. The growth of "global culture" has been much expounded upon, and it is a phenomenon that is predominantly among the (relative) socio-economic elite of the world. I live in the middle of nowhere in the US, but I experience much the same cultural influences as do my counterpart in NYC, in Belfast, or in Minneapolis. This is compounded by the fact that I am also one of this fairly select group that engages in air travel on a regular basis. And there are many others like me. (Aside - this is not as prevalent in poorer segments, where regional differences are more pronounced. This may be one of the reasons that creatvies are so drawn to these segments for inspiration, but that's another topic for another time)

At the same time, we are 1) still physical beings, and 2) we are subjected to "outside" stimuli, i.e. our systems are not closed. This means that if I lived in the LES of NYC, or in Williamsburg, I am still influenced by the people around me and their cultural influences and expressions. And even if I am a shut-in who never sees anyone else in person, I am influenced by the representation of culture from the media that I consume, media outside, say, this forum. Even if I only talk to other, likeminded, people, on this forum, I am subject to the secondary influences.

Re. trends in fashion - they are still there. As long as there is centralization of power, they will be there. Hedi's SLP is a great example of this. It became popular not organically, but because of a Herculean effort on the part of the Gucci Group, which is in turn owned by PPR/Kering. I suppose that if all designers were reduced to individual artisans, without patronage, then maybe there would be no trends. Maybe.

2. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

^^ interesting - do you have anything you've written or otherwise you could point me to? I'd be interested in reading what you have to say.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Probably best to start with an old reference that is nonetheless still relevant:

Kaiser, Susan. (1999), "Identity, Postmodernity, and the Global Apparel Marketplace." In Meanings of Dress, ed. M. L. Damhorst, K. Miller, and S. Michelman. Published New York: Fairchild.

(and then search forward for the writings that reference the work. There are other examples, of course.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

4. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

cheers...

5. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Yeah I think a parallel to this is look at the trends in electro-pop music today. A lot of it is very 80s inspired or has a very 80s sound. But if you play most 80s songs in comparison, the actual 80s stuff generally has a dated sound whether from production practices back then or stylistic things -- I can easily differentiate between the two.

Or if you compare a period tv show to a show shot in the same time etc. (Maybe more of a stretch) There are clear references and inspirations -- but the contemporary example is still clearly contemporary.

6. needhelp123

needhelp123 Senior member

Ive got KVA diors 19cm i sized down 1 take in waist like half inch cu when you squat it shows your crack now it doesnt it sits right on my ass [VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO]

What i dont like is its 100% cot so no stretch and its quite uncomfortable beingn raw around the knees and stomach when you sit even worse when you eat. I wont wash then tho cuz i like the dark colour very nice these are mijs 'raw blue' if i had money i would buy another pair to wash for fades. The dye is pretty good stays on.

About SLP jeans i dont like that the 17.5 is like boot cut so from lower shin and down its wide and the leg openig is so big..but i love the way they hug the thighs almost like a spiral not squeeze the fit around the thighs was the first thing i notcied when i wore my new slp jeans for the first time

7. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Are DH raws different under KVA? I thought they hadn't changed since Hedi's days.

8. needhelp123

The SA did say it hasn't changed but i'm not entirely sure someone else can confirm. He also said some of the suit jackets are from Hedi as well, the store had 3 to be exact.

9. JSAN

JSAN Senior member

KVA said in an interview that jeans weren't in his vision for his collections so I doubt he would mess with them. Looking back on the old threads the measurements of the jeans are still the same on mine.

10. kaisaZ

kaisaZ Member

They look great on you! At the same time they also remind me why I stopped wearing my DH raws years ago. Why they look great in the top part, the raws are pretty uncomfortable (at least mine are to this day) and the leg opening is just so wide on the 19cm, way wider than my APCs, that it looks a bit off for me.
    The only DH denim that I continued wearing (and am still wearing to this day) are my grey DH Dauphins that have a way narrower leg opening (despite being the same size as my raws), have 2% Stretch and are so damn comfy.

I haven't tried any Saint Laurent things (as I was more busy decluttering my wardrobe in the past than buying new things), but I can't wait to do so as I'm really intrigued by some of his designs (Teddy Jacket, boots, Jeans).

11. unouomedude

unouomedude Member

needhelp123, those look horrible, you're showing way too much ass. Dior 19cm is supposed to be worn anti-fit, baggy on top and tappered down. Hedi still wears his SL denim like that too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kaisaZ

kaisaZ Member

Those are raws that look pretty new. They will stretch out and sag a bit.

Regarding the first pic: I remember seeing it back in the DH days and already thinking it was too much. I used to wear my jeans like this when I was 13... Sag is good on DH denim, but how much is still up to one's own preference

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

13. slann01

slann01 Senior member

Folks, it may be a long shot, but does anyone have to sell the SLP red with leopard trims teddy jacket? And does anyone know how it fits? True to size? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

14. needhelp123

i even hemmed them like 6", i so don't deserve to wear DH!

i don't sag i just pull em up all the way

15. kaisaZ

kaisaZ Member

I always hemmed mine a lot as well. Was never particularly fond of the super stacked hem that everyone (on sufu) was promoting - always preferred a cleaner, lesssloppy for my personal taste.

Maybe I can still find some old fitpics somewhere...