Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

1. kpmurphy

kpmurphy Well-Known Member

Santiags came in today. Actually ended up sizing up .5. They had a tiny bit of a heel slip but I threw in an thin insole and now they feel perfect; maybe the most comfortable boots I own. Not going to bore anyone with more fit pictures, but I took a side by side with FW13 Wyatts. I believe the color is identical(which I'm very happy about), but the Wyatts have darkened a little with wear; suede feels nearly identical also. Only (small)complaint is the flimsy YKK zipper, which definitely isn't a deal breaker.

[​IMG]

2. kieran84

kieran84 Senior member

Interesting post.

The thing is though, I've tried many other brands and they just don't look the same. For example Acne - back rise ridiculously long while front rise too short; Cheap Monday - too thin and flimsy, feel like leggings; APC - not skinny enough; Burberry Prorsum - too baggy; Dior Homme - too baggy; April 77 - standard tight jeans but trying to be too rock 'n roll like n(n) or something - corny; and I could go on. My AW13 raw indigo and black are the most flatteringly cut jeans I've ever tried. I don't really care about getting what an average person perceives as value for money, and am quite happy to pay a premium for Slimane's eye for proportion (and then of course they also have massive overheads that we need to take into account compared to other brands because of the store locations, decor, premium packaging, etc which I don't care all that much about, but comes with the territory with high end labels).

Same applies to the coats and tailoring - nothing comes close, and while he was away, believe me I tried. Prorsum was about the best but even then I resented spending money on it as it wasn't quite up there.

If people are looking for cheaper alternatives to SLP I'd probably say Cheap Monday for the jeans (look as good as any of the others), with Kooples for the rest as all Kooples do is rip of Slimane anyway - it doesn't fit the same though, and if you've experienced SLP clothing it's always going to seem second rate.

3. needhelp123

needhelp123 Senior member

Definitely designer clothing is not worth it, thats blatantly obvious, i'm saying this in full agreement no challenge. SLP denim whilst good quality is obviously not gonna be on par with a 22oz momotaro or samurai or something, but thats like Apples and oranges if you ask me. They designers charge what they want for one reason only, because they can, everyone knows this, i don't give a shit what a designer (Hiroki looking at you) says its bullshit and soley business talk, no one is going to justify why a visvim shoe fricken costs $800 damn bucks, something can only be so practical and quality, its like people who fricken buy VOSS water because it 'tastes' better those muppets are tricked by marketing and placebo manipulation. Like how the new trend hipsters are going at buying overpriced coconut water sourced from the exact same country any other was that was available ages ago and you can get it for like less than a third of the price in any asian grocery. Some brands are more rip off than others, such as Balmain charging $2000 for a cotton biker, Visvim charging $1000+ for a shirt.

Saint Laurent Paris appeals to me because, i love the whole aesthetic, everything about SLP, the image Hedi has for the SLP boy/girl: to me i think its the fully fledged drug sex and alcohol grungy rock star, the one who truly does not give a fuck what you think of him/her, the one who will be more slutty if you call them slut, the one who will be more gay if you call them gay. Everything tight and the amazing cut its sleek and pure sex. I'm obviously a fan of his jeans particularly the destroyed, and i think his pea coats and sleek af, then there is his boots and footwear, the silouhuette and shape is so pleasing to the eye the heel as well. The FW15 show was a great representation of exactly what i''m trying to say. You can really feel this from the shows how the model walks, posture, body language, facial expression, and also in his photography.

You're right that certain pieces are where the labels make their big money from besides the VIP clients who spend $600k on Dior Couture every season (found that out form Dior & I movie, crazy isn't it), sneakers for Margiela for Lanvin etc.

And yeah, i'm a fanboy too and i'm not afraid to admit that, its not only for SLP but other brands too, i have my bias' for certain designers like if they designed something that another designer made that i thought was crap then i would think it is cool just because. Yeah i only buy Hedi Slimane jeans, to me there is no alternative to the cut what i see is what i want, this is for all items. And yeah, something made by a designer who i favour is 99% of the time going to be better, call me stupid but hey, thats me, my money after all isn't it.

No one has the right to look down on to others, everyone started at the same point, no one is born a millionaire or a genius and even then its just as important to stay humble and true to yourself and NOT INSECURE cuz thats what those type of people are deep down, they seek validation and self-happyness if you can call it that through others shortcomings and failures, not to mention its completely contradictory to the ideas of fashion, but i'll save that life lesson for later. + semi-rant over.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. ohyehhh

ohyehhh Senior member

agreed with the above, i really don't get the venomous posts towards some people where there is completely no need, jeez i could never get that worked up over something! i don't think it should be considered sacrilege when somebody happens to mention a brand other than slp in here (april77, dior, zara, balmain, whatever) despite it being the 'saint laurent paris official thread'. it generates discussion which is what this forum is for. better than the alternative where people are too scared to post their views or ask questions for fear of getting sniped the elites (and believe me, that is the case, i've had people pm me rather than ask in the open because of the [perceived] haughtiness within this thread... it really shouldn't get like that).

@kpmurphy both boots look beautiful, fuck i really wish i had the ochre wyatts ;[

5. kmert

kmert Active Member

I was always under the impression that the MIJ tag (also on DH or Balmain denim) justified the price tag. Not that I know what MIJ relative to MII means in denim quality though..

In any case, its clear that buying designer clothing at retail means paying 50% (minimal) for the label alone. Two nice examples are the differences in price point between the Vanson SF biker jacket and the CDG Junya version, or wingtips made by Sanders or Thom Browne.

6. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Active Member

Wow. Just holy fucking wow. Throughout this thread ive often wondered what kind of person you must be like in the flesh, cause the impression you get from reading your dumbfuck shit isnt exactly flattering. From your idiotic "only for the hardcore Slimane fans"-doctrine to ripping on everyone who might be as bold to have a different opinion than you.. Just sad, man. Its just sad.

And for the quite charming mr. OJSIMPSON - where did your little anecdote about roofing your way through college go? You seem quite fond of the word pathetic. Honestly that moniker suits you a lot better. Im a student myself, but can still afford my monthly dose of SLP. Why would that give me the authority to bash someone who doesnt? We all choose different paths. As a law student, i know i wouldnt be able to work enough on my spare time to afford designer labels while at the same time achieving the grades i want. Still, im lucky and privileged enough to afford it in other ways - maybe he isnt. So fucking what.

Just let people enjoy clothing the way they want. Hope his mentioning of cheaper labels the OFFICIAL(lol) SLP thread didnt ruin your entire day.

7. datura

datura Active Member

Thanks! Do these fit you with some room or spot on? Most people advised me to go with size 44. I am a bit confused.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that the important thing is to remember that this is your personal opinion, and that others may or may not share it, as they please. Your opinion is based on your personal experience with the brand, which is valid, but can't necessarily be extrapolated to the general "you."

That wasn't justa semi-rant, but you have a good point, which is that "quality", while a fine marketing point, is not the gold standard by which everything should be judged. There is nothing inherently wrong about being a fan of something. It is important, though, to be aware that others may disagree with you for perfectly legitimate reasons, although those reasons may or may not be off-base.

9. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

A few more 'sitting in a chair in the office in SLP' pics. Top is the SS15 silk/cotton sheer paisley collar shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. youwhat

youwhat Senior member

to prudy, what size did you get in that paisley and what size in the tunic type top you got?

the tunic much thicker?
    i tried that paisley but was VERY thin and felt like would rip quite easily.

11. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Yeah, paisley is very thin, very light - it's beautiful but probably a little delicate. Seams feel very strong, though.

I got size 38 in both, so tts for me. Tunic is thicker but very lightweight also. They are both tailored in a typical fitted SLP fashion, but the tunic/mandarin collar shirt is blousy throughout the body (fitted at neck/shoulder/wrist).

12. slann01

slann01 Senior member

I don't know why, lately I'm liking the band or "korean" collar a lot more on shirts, It almost seems to me that the tipped italian/french collar looks good only on dress shirts recently. Anyway good catch on the paisley shirt Prudy, it reminds me of Etro silk shirts.

13. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

first, fashion. the saint laurent shoe returns thing is really annoying. i grabbed a pair of python santiags which i love, but don't fit, and can't return because they have like one scratch on the sole. for fuck's sake.

so if anyone wants them at a 30% discount to retail (size 43), pm me. they're the brown and beige ones. they look awesome with destroyed jeans. if you were waiting for the sales...you can snipe these now.

second, philosophy. the idea that people "disagree" and that everything is just "a personal opinion" isn't really true. if that were the case, we'd all be parading around in our underwear, or our girlfriend's underwear, and that would be ok. obviously, that's not the case.

this is not a support group for your bad fashion (and life) choices. if you're going to ask for my opinion, i'll give it to you very honestly. that may include you being called a poser. especially if your only concern appears to be buying as much stuff as humanly possible, versus thinking about why you need to. sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

the only people in the world who exist to endlessly affirm your worst choices without passing any judgments are called "sales advisors".

this forum should exist for precisely the opposite reason.

:)

ps check the vintage paisley shirt, the fabric's quite something to behold. unlike all the other tops so far.

14. CL628

CL628 Member

A little bit of room, not too much, not to little. If in doubt i would go with a 43.5, you would be good with that as well. People told me to go up a half size too then I tried a 43 instore last year when i bought my baby cats and they fit perfect in my opinion.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You've made some categorical mistakes here. Not "everything" is a personal opinion, but a lot of the sentiments expressed here are. For example, that something is "the perfect fit" or "the perfect material" is clearly an expression of personal preference. My discussion about the cost of making a pair of jeans, just as an example, is not a personal opinion, it's independently verifiable.

I've been on, and run, this forum, for a lot of years, and tbh, I find arguments about why one style is better than another to be tedious. I think that it's much more interesting and constructive to try to understand and appreciate styles to which you don't personally subscribe. If everyone liked the same things and wore the same things, fashion would be really, really, boring.