Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

1. youwhat

youwhat Senior member

the black knitted cape / blanket, with colours? its 49,000.

2. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Ha, oh well - yeah, not that one but that price would definitely take me out of the running. There was a multicolor suede one, I think...

Re: the zips...I like the big ones, too - but, I think a lot of it has to be based on design. The big chrome zips look great on a chelsea or moto-style wyatt boot, but I have to say I think they'd look a bit ridiculous on the sleeker western-style santiag boot.

As I said not sure if this is a manufacturing decision or a design one or both, but I can see the thinner zips working on the santiags...I do like the bigger zips on the wyatts.

3. ExAngel

ExAngel Senior member

Personally if i'm spending $1000+ on a pair of boots, it's fairly reasonable to expect zippers that aren't made of plastic

4. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

sounds reasonable, yeah.

5. Jbidwal

Jbidwal Senior member

I ordered the santiags so Ill post of thoughts on the zippers. The zippers changed for jeans too. For the record, the slp branded zip on my stained black jeans broke easily after only a few wears. That's the only zipper that's ever broken for me. Design wise, I agree the thicker zipper looks better on the wyatts.

6. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Cool, I can as well when mine get delivered this week. I have several of the newer jeans w/ the new zips and they are holding up just fine for me so far.

@slann01 nice job on the blog. I think a lot of folks list that military coat as a grail piece :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. youwhat

youwhat Senior member

do people who have these blogs hope that they get given / bought, the items on the 'wishlist'?

8. slann01

slann01 Senior member

Thank you very much Prudy! Next time I'll put on an insight on my D04 bikers, if I won't have the camo jacket already ;)

At least for me it's just a column where I publish the items that i would like to buy next.

9. youwhat

youwhat Senior member

wasnt a criticism, just curious. the layout reminded me of the whats-he-wearing blog.

wondered how many items he got sent...

seemed to stop posting in december though?

10. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

no. we do it because we're cool and not wannabes. we love this stuff, instead of just wearing it because it's instagram or style forum approved, unlike (probably) you.

some thoughts.

1. santiags. the online pics are terrible, and you'll never guess from them, but. santiags are actually narrower and slimmer in every respect than wyatts (except the toe, which obviously is a bit taller). they're much sleeker boots, and they make wyatts look cumbersome in comparison. especially the block heel and almond toe of the wyatts. the zip is smaller because the boots are sleeker. i don't think a big chunky zip would have worked here. the regular wyatts (i.e. without the conches) do still have the big zip. also, the goodyear sole of the santiags makes them much more durable than wyatts; they can really take a beating.

personally, i think the santiags are the best boot that hedi has made in a very long time. they're super hardcore; unlike wyatts, they don't tread the middle ground between punky and conservative. that said, i too am a bit concerned about the quality of some of my pairs. the harness boot is made out of very tough leather, but the others are less so.

2. saint laurent stores. a lot of the people that hedi originally personally recruited have been forced out of the company. this is partly the price of success; the company is becoming more corporate, as it makes more money. as a result, head office has recruited typical luxury sales people, because they think they will sell more stuff faster. shopping at most boutiques now is a terrible experience.

the staff are clueless. but worse, they just don't get the ideas behind the clothes. they're a little like car salesmen--just interested in pushing stuff at the most volume. before, going to an sl store used to be fantastic, you could hang out with cool people and talk about all kinds of things. now, it's just shopping. what i mean is that the people saint laurent has hired now aren't into saint laurent. they don't wear the clothes in their own lives, don't listen to the music, etc. it's a terrible decision, and i think it will hinder the company.

if you really want to get the experience, i recommend NOT going to the boutiques. in london, selfridges is a much better place to hang out at saint laurent than the saint laurent boutiques--the team is more knowledgeable, and they get what hedi is trying to do. in nyc, bergdorf probably is.

3. production. ss15 is having major production issues. most of the santiags (there are still like ten models that haven't been produced yet) haven't hit the market yet. most of the runway pieces have yet to be produced. in part, this is because head office is making them less of a priority, and putting the highest margin stuff first. in part, it's because they're pretty complicated to make.

4. prices. yes, some of the prices are nuts. for example, the red zigzag jacket from the fw2016 runway is going to be 35k. but then again, hedi is trying to push the boundaries of luxury, and redefine the experience of fashion as art. so i think it's actually a good thing. and it's not a big deal, most of the stuff at this level doesn't actually get made unless someone pre-orders it.

5. pr. one of the things i like about slimane is that he laughs at celebrity culture. so of course saint laurent doesn't "gift" anything to bloggers. nor do celebs get discounts or vip access at boutiques. you might do if you're cool, but that's very different--it's not about how famous or rich you are. i think that's great. otherwise, style is just about money. what's different at sl is that you can't buy your way in.

11. slann01

slann01 Senior member

Well written, and thanks for the info on the Santiags. Thank god the staff at the Slp boutique here in Rome is great! And about that red and black jacket....35k! Is it completely sequined?

12. ohyehhh

ohyehhh Senior member

[​IMG]

Thoughts on this (aw14?) for summer with light ripped jeans + wyatts/jodhpurs?

I tried the gold thread shirts on and realised I don't like the thin material as much as on the above which seems a little more substantial

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Redefine the experience of fashion as art? :crackup:

He's trying to get paid by taking pictures and remixing stuff he's done before.

14. youwhat

youwhat Senior member

i didnt read the first couple of sentences of that post. "we're cool" lol

stick to the 1d fanfic. gave me a laugh.

15. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

great contributions, i'm sure everyone found that helpful.

as for fashion as art, i know the average style forum guy thinks aldens in yet another shade of brown are super rebellious. i think putting a roettinger or a bruce conner print on a t-shirt--not to mention installations in stores, etc, etc---is indeed precisely what i said.

i'm sure there are people who'd like to debate this with you. i'm not one of them.

i think it's pretty straightforward. if you like it, wear it, if you don't, don't. on the other hand, if you feel the need to constantly snipe at people for stuff you don't want them to wear, because it makes you really angry, that probably tells us all we need to know about you.