• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BxQ

Reaction score
I've seen quite some 'sample' jackets pop-up on grailed & ebay lately. Instead of a complete care tag, they have a sample tag:
_20201014_152747.JPG

Does anyone have experience with these, know how to judge authenticity?

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen quite some 'sample' jackets pop-up on grailed & ebay lately. Instead of a complete care tag, they have a sample tag:
View attachment 1476852

Does anyone have experience with these, know how to judge authenticity?
I think I'd stay away from that stuff personally. A lot of it is significantly cheaper than the mass produced items, which to me throws up red flags (the bad kind).

Reactions: BxQ

alexanderdavide

Reaction score
Looking to buy a teddy jacket for a long time. Can someone please help me legit check this jacket?

Also, what price do you find appropriate? It's size F36 and apparently condition 9/10.

Thanks in advance!

1602771380947.png 1602771469884.png 1602771407096.png 1602771495580.png

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Which doesn't even make sense because this stuff is rarer by design, sometimes even 1 of 1 pieces

A sample is often shoddily finished, only comes in one sizing and might not have reached production, the general buying public will often not be familiar with the piece or doubt its authenticity (wrong/no tags etc.). It is also sold or given to people working at or nearer the brand so acquired for cheap. It might also have been used for a shoot and worn while rolling around in mud by a stylist for like two months before they were finally reached and had to return it so condition is not always great.

Honestly one time I was hanging out at the office of some brand well liked here and they found a jacket that had fallen behind a desk and were like "I don't remember wtf this is, do you want it or should I throw it away?"

Adamdraps

Reaction score
I recently acquired a pair of FW13 ochre cowboy wyatts. At first I thought they were fake but I compared them with other sample photos I found on grailed and they are the same. The shaft is much tighter than the production model. Got them for cheap because of glue stains from a crappy cobbler re gluing the soles.

iv4me

Reaction score

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is an accent over the 'e' in "fabrique" on the tag indicative of a fake? Or is it not that simple? Saw a tag like this on a leather and noticed a lot of other ones lack it.

Also, I think less than one thousand dollars is a decent price for your standard teddy jacket, especially if it's in unworn condition,

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
outside of knits and jackets, do you guys hang or fold your shirts, tees, and other goodies?

Randeep

Reaction score
Looking to buy a teddy jacket for a long time. Can someone please help me legit check this jacket?

Also, what price do you find appropriate? It's size F36 and apparently condition 9/10.

Thanks in advance!

<snip>

"what price do you find appropriate" this question sounds odd given I guess you've already seen this listed somewhere at a price the seller has specified. If his price was $1500 (only an example), then me saying "$500" or "$3000" isn't going to help you at all. The condition seems ok, I can't see much (any?) pilling, but its got those white specks/dust in high wear areas - though I know that kind of stuff looks particularly unforgiving if flash was used to take the pictures.

Is an accent over the 'e' in "fabrique" on the tag indicative of a fake? Or is it not that simple? Saw a tag like this on a leather and noticed a lot of other ones lack it.

Also, I think less than one thousand dollars is a decent price for your standard teddy jacket, especially if it's in unworn condition,

I've just checked my teddy and another random SL jacket, neither have the accent over the e. That tag looks good to me.

On the fb group ("saint laurent buy sell trade") you might be able to find a new jacket that's a little over $1000 if lucky, there was one seller who was constantly churning out teddys (though he did say recently (his) prices were increasing).

So that's worth bearing in mind @alexanderdavide with respect to whatever your budget is -- and if it's budget that is the reason you're going for the female version over the male one as opposed to better personal fit.. maybe you should wait a little?

Is it only me or is Anthony killing it?

... it's just you

outside of knits and jackets, do you guys hang or fold your shirts, tees, and other goodies?

Button up shirts - appropriately sized hanger
Scarves - thrown into a corner
Boots - placed back into box with the wrapping provided to fill out the toebox/vamp (not excessively), unless they're leather boots I've recently/just worn, in which case I'd use shoe trees instead.
T-shirts - I literally only wear very cheap plain cotton t-shirts from Zara, OR, pricier SL silk tees. Zara ones get chucked in a corner and not often ironed, silk ones I'll loosely fold (or rather bunch up) and toss a little more gently into a cupboard -- I would not hang them due to delicacy (and lack of luxury space to hang everything, more this). If I did hang it would only be with broad hangers that don't leave the shoulders pinched.

Last edited:

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just checked my teddy and another random SL jacket, neither have the accent over the e. That tag looks good to me.
No, I meant the presence of the accented 'e' indicated a fake. The genuine tags seem to lack it, but I saw a tag for a leather jacket on Vestiaire that looked a little bit different in terms of the layout of the information, while having an accent on the 'e'. Did this change over time? Does it vary from garment to garment? I'm sorta new to the game of looking at authenticity.

Edit: on page 1248 someone claims that the accent doesn't indicate a fake, and that it varies from item.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it only me or is Anthony killing it?

View attachment 1478256
1602865431774.png

If we look at the photography, Hedi's photographs are able to better highlight and capture your gaze onto the model. It feels like the image of the model is sharper than the background. It is subtle, but there is a sense where the model radiates. In this Saint Laurent campaign photo, the model doesn't stand out from the background, and both of them blend together. Perhaps the background choice was a bit too messy and not plain enough, so it feels visually distracting.

Styling-wise, I feel like Hedi has a better intuitive sense of what looks right. His understanding of how people dressed gives him more an ability to style clothing a bit more accurate. This whole look seems okay from afar, but on closer inspection there are a couple of things that throw me off. Why is the model wearing a dress shirt that needs cuff links paired with relaxed fit washed black denim? The fabric of the jacket feels a bit too sleek compared to the jeans. Hedi's fw19 look has a more substantial fabric for the coat and it feels like to meshes better with the washed blues in relaxed fit. The rangers also help bring the look together so it doesn't look too sleek and dressy. The look would be totally weird if rangers were swapped with Jacno 60s.

If you treat Anthony's items as separates, I think it is fine. Cropped peacoat with thinner fabric reminds me of ss13.
1602866155364.png

1602866211326.png

1602866273596.png

The shirt would be nice for people who are looking for that kind of thing...same with the jeans. The only place I would dock marks off is the boots. They don't really look that sexy compared to Hedi's versions of heeled dress boots. It feels a bit rounder and less edgy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads