• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BxQ

Reaction score
I tried on some chunky derbies and it doesn't really seem to work, for me at least.

I must admit, those sleek derbies look great. Personally, I don't think I could pull off patent leather. Perhaps a textured leather, such as in the image below:

download.jpg

funkyprez

Reaction score
I have these Army derbies but I don’t wear them with the ‘typical’ SL aesthetic. More so with wider-leg trousers to go with the shoe’s chunky profile, or on casual workdays where a sleeker dress shoe would be too much.
army-leather-derby-shoes-original-9922052.jpg

Trixz

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you consider to be "derbies" (to me it's that derbies have open lacing with the lacing part stitched onto the vamp, whereas oxfords have closed lacing) but I was really digging the new SS20 footwear in that regard. Consider the Jonas derby:

View attachment 1374084
View attachment 1374085

The only thing that has kept me from copping right now is I'm not super sure on the patent leather, might be too shiny for daily wear/my tastest.... but it's really difficult to tell from the stock pics. I thought that @Trixz ordered a pair of white ones? I'd be down to hear more about these (or the oxford variant, the Hopper?).

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve been eyeing the white hopper and white yves’s but the whole idea was to have summer vibes with them and I think cropped denim or chino’s with them would be the best aesthetic. However, where I am hung up is that the cropped SL denim on me is not actually cropped and tailors are not a possibility right now. In addition, I too am struggling with the idea of the patent.

Where I might differ from the above sentiment of others is that boots are equal to derbies. I think that just would not make sense in the summer and would be a great alternative to sneakers or loafers for a nice dinner or night out.

oh and yeah, can’t do the chunky myself for the style of pants/denim I wear.

alexanderdavide

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you consider to be "derbies" (to me it's that derbies have open lacing with the lacing part stitched onto the vamp, whereas oxfords have closed lacing) but I was really digging the new SS20 footwear in that regard. Consider the Jonas derby:

View attachment 1374084
View attachment 1374085

The only thing that has kept me from copping right now is I'm not super sure on the patent leather, might be too shiny for daily wear/my tastest.... but it's really difficult to tell from the stock pics. I thought that @Trixz ordered a pair of white ones? I'd be down to hear more about these (or the oxford variant, the Hopper?).

You're absolutely right. The definition of derbies is actually much wider. The first thing that comes to my mind when talking about derbies is the chunky type whereas there are plenty which look really sleek like the depicted ones. Accordingly, I would want to adapt my initial predicate as I could definitely see those sleek derbies as a true addition to boots, especially in summer as you said. I even think that they go very well with a slightly more formal interpretation of the SLP aesthetic.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be a bit slow on the uptake here, but if you guys are looking for sleeker derbies why aren't you in the Celine thread? The only reason I'm considering SLP ones is that the Celine ones are too narrow for me.

Trixz

Reaction score
I may be a bit slow on the uptake here, but if you guys are looking for sleeker derbies why aren't you in the Celine thread? The only reason I'm considering SLP ones is that the Celine ones are too narrow for me.

I’ve actually considered the Celine ones. For me there is two main differences. One is that I’m just not a pointy toe shoe type of guy or personally like the aesthetic. The SLP Jonas and the Celine ones seem much more pointy then the SLP Yves or hopper version. In addition, my concern for the point goes along with the Lukas as being more of a trend then a lasting piece but then again if it went with my personal likes I would not gaf. Second, the bottom of the white Celine’s are brown and I think that may not look as good with black denim, as the SLP’s would.

Perhaps I’m just too OCD but then again they are 6-7 hundred dollar shoes.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually considered the Celine ones. For me there is two main differences. One is that I’m just not a pointy toe shoe type of guy or personally like the aesthetic. The SLP Jonas and the Celine ones seem much more pointy then the SLP Yves or hopper version. In addition, my concern for the point goes along with the Lukas as being more of a trend then a lasting piece but then again if it went with my personal likes I would not gaf. Second, the bottom of the white Celine’s are brown and I think that may not look as good with black denim, as the SLP’s would.

Perhaps I’m just too OCD but then again they are 6-7 hundred dollar shoes.
I feel you on the Jacno's being too pointy, although I think they're less so than the Lukas boots. My dilemma is that I want something that is between that and chunky derbies--but closer to the pointy end of the spectrum. I like the Hopper's, but like others I'm not sure on the patent leather (I actually think it looks cheap). What do people think of the Wyatt derbies?
13812739_21668079_1000.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look cool, for some reason, the standard derbies don't do much for me. Not a lot going on, but this adds some texture.

I saw some of the new RTW pieces look good, especially the shirts. Some light at the end of the tunnel?

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look cool, for some reason, the standard derbies don't do much for me. Not a lot going on, but this adds some texture.

I saw some of the new RTW pieces look good, especially the shirts. Some light at the end of the tunnel?
Which shirts are you looking at? I like the following ones:
38886386ML_14_a_v4.jpg
38886376UI_14_a_v4.jpg

I also kinda dig this leather; has anyone tried it on?
15007249JB_14_a_v4.jpg

Dogs

Reaction score
What size would you guys recommend in a SS2014 L01? and how do they fit compared to most other seasons L01?
I'm 5'9" & 130lbs, athletic bodytype (broad shoulders and slim waist)
I wear Medium in pretty much every brands t-shirts (SLP, Uniqlo, American Apparel, etc), 37 in SLP polka dot button up with the frayed hem (but those are oversized), 48 in Bloodluster Teddy Jacket. Thanks :)

BxQ

Reaction score
On another note, does anyone have experience with women's denim? For example, how does a women's d01/d02 compare to the men's counterpart?

Men's 27s are a bit big in the waist. I hypothesize women's to fit better, with a higher waist

ViceofGucci

Reaction score
f 2CBCFE5B-6634-4B6F-B99D-8702E36F0860.jpeg 8DF2524D-223C-4EAA-AF83-80FD9B775C7C.jpeg
Pretty much my standard fits for when I rarely have to go out. I like 100% cotton jeans but I’d be lying if I said I don’t prefer the ones with elasthane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads