• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

walds11

Reaction score
It depends on the jacket, but I think you could get away with a size 48 in some jackets. I have the distressed L01 posted above in a size 48. I am 5-11.5 and about 157lbs. My ideal suit jacket size would be a 39.

Hmm, are you suggesting to size down? According to the YSL size chart online, 40 US converts to 50 YSL.

The only leather jacket I have to be able to compare sizes is an Aero Seven (board racer style) in size 40 (with .25 added to each side). It’s Vicenza horsehide, which is heavier and thicker leather than lambskin. FYI, board racer are generally snugger fit than cafe racers.

Last edited:

Bill H

Reaction score
How is the sizing on the SL leather jackets? I wear size 40 US or size medium most outerwear and tops. I’m 6ft and approx 165lbs. Would I go with size 50 YSL?

Depends on the type of jacket, the season, and how you are going to wear it. I have a couple of riders that are a size down... fit great through the shoulder, look great open, but I can barely close the jackets... which is fine cause I don't wear them, closed, but some people aren't OK with that

walds11

Reaction score
Depends on the type of jacket, the season, and how you are going to wear it. I have a couple of riders that are a size down... fit great through the shoulder, look great open, but I can barely close the jackets... which is fine cause I don't wear them, closed, but some people aren't OK with that

I’m looking at Cafe Racers. There are a few for sale on grained...SS13 and FW13. I would wear it open with a light layer underneath like shirt sleeve tee, long sleeve knit or button down.

Bill H

Reaction score
Please let others chime in here Walds; but to the best of my intermediate knowledge, things from FW13 fit a little bit smaller (I know this first hand, but not sure about the cafes), and from what I have heard, things from ss13 fit even smaller than that (I don't have personal experience).

ASAPRice

Reaction score
Please let others chime in here Walds; but to the best of my intermediate knowledge, things from FW13 fit a little bit smaller (I know this first hand, but not sure about the cafes), and from what I have heard, things from ss13 fit even smaller than that (I don't have personal experience).
can confirm
my ss13 d04's are a 26 and I could barely get them on the first few times I wore em and it was painful until they stretched out
SS16/FW16 d04's are significantly bigger from what I remember in store

in reference, I'm a 26 in Levi's, Dior and a 27 in women's A77 (which probably fit like a mens 26 due to women's sizes being bigger at the waist cuz birthing) and my SS13 d04s are noticeably smaller than all of them

ASAPRice

Reaction score
wiwt
vLM4PnH.jpg

walds11

Reaction score
So I checked on a FW13 Cafe Racer size 50 for sale on grailed. They seller provided me with measurements in cm and I converted them to inches:

Shoulder 16.93
P2P 19.69
Length 24.80
Sleeve 25.20

And here are the measurements for my Thurston Brothers Aero Seven in Vicenza horsehide, which is much heavier and thicker than lambskin.

Shoulder 17.75
P2P 21
Length 25.59
Sleeve 26

The Aero Seven is a board racer, which generally fits a little more snug than a cafe racer, especially in the arm holes. That being said, which size would you recommend for the SL Cafe Racer? 50 or 52?

ASAPRice

Reaction score
@ASAPRice : what kind of rings do you wear? I'm thinking of picking some up in the near future.
3 of them are from etsy, 1 is a gift from my girlfriend, and 1 is from aliexpress lol
I used to have a few nicer ones, but I got tired of losing them at parties or at concerts so I just buy cheap ones now
I can grab a pic of them later if you're interested

Bill H

Reaction score
So I checked on a FW13 Cafe Racer size 50 for sale on grailed. They seller provided me with measurements in cm and I converted them to inches:

Shoulder 16.93
P2P 19.69
Length 24.80
Sleeve 25.20

And here are the measurements for my Thurston Brothers Aero Seven in Vicenza horsehide, which is much heavier and thicker than lambskin.

Shoulder 17.75
P2P 21
Length 25.59
Sleeve 26

The Aero Seven is a board racer, which generally fits a little more snug than a cafe racer, especially in the arm holes. That being said, which size would you recommend for the SL Cafe Racer? 50 or 52?

If you wear a 50 suit in fashion brands (e.g., Hedi SLP, Hedi Dior) and you are cool wearing the racer open, then I would go 50 for FW13...
...my best guess...

walds11

Reaction score
If you wear a 50 suit in fashion brands (e.g., Hedi SLP, Hedi Dior) and you are cool wearing the racer open, then I would go 50 for FW13...
...my best guess...

I’m not sure what size suit I wear in fashion brands because I don’t have any. But I’m a 40 US in the Suitsupply Lazio cut, which is a tailored slim fit cut. That being said 40 US = 50 YSL. And as you stated, the SL leather jackets in question seem to run smaller. I’d only rocket the FW13 cafe racer open, so the 50 should work. Now the SS13, I may have to go up to a 52...

KawaiiT

Reaction score
I’m not sure what size suit I wear in fashion brands because I don’t have any. But I’m a 40 US in the Suitsupply Lazio cut, which is a tailored slim fit cut. That being said 40 US = 50 YSL. And as you stated, the SL leather jackets in question seem to run smaller. I’d only rocket the FW13 cafe racer open, so the 50 should work. Now the SS13, I may have to go up to a 52...

Don't forget about what you wear underneath the Jacket. If you wear a lot of hoodies you might wanna size up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads