• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint Crispin's Shrunken Leather Problems and Questions

NewConvert

Reaction score
I just bought some amazing Saint Crispin's Chukkas in the shrunken leather. I wore them once in rain and they have these spots that will not come out. I sent it back to them to refinish the leather and after wearing once more in a light rain, they spotted again. Polish will not cover it up.

Has anyone here experienced this with the SC Shrunken Leather?

Should I just keep it and live with it or get a refund? It may not be that noticeable to the passerby but I know it's there and $1650 is a lot to pay for a shoe with spotting.

Your thoughts anyone?

Here is the original shoes:

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send them back. Should not happen in this way.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no only are those spot are an issue, look how they have creased - aweful, some of the worse leather i have ever seen!

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be important to note that even the creases have a lighter brown coming through, similar to the spots...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's very hard to tell from a photo...you probably know that.

But it looks to me as if the lighter colour is the base colour--the original colour of the leather. And that the darker brown is a water based overcoat.

Where the rain drops have hit the darker dye has dissolved and the lighter colour underneath has been exposed. Nothing too startling there but my guess is that the problem will not go away but only get worse.

My advice would be to send them back and ask for either a refund or a permanent solution to the problem such as "re-finishing" with a solvent based dye.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never seen anything quite like that on either of two St C shrunken calf resulting from rain water

NewConvert

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Someone told me that I should just "go with it" because it makes the shoes look more worn in like a "Spreazzatura" kinda thing. But spots like this are hard for me to deal with. They even spotted on the soles of the shoes. You can see it on the edge trim.

NewConvert

Reaction score

never seen anything quite like that on either of two St C shrunken calf resulting from rain water

What do you use on your SC shrunken leather shoes? Do they require more Reno or conditioner than normal calfskin shoes?

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you use on your SC shrunken leather shoes? Do they require more Reno or conditioner than normal calfskin shoes?

I use either Saphir Crème Delicate or their Leather Balm instead of the standard Reno then move on to polish.
I think the answer to your second question is YES.

The reason I say this is based on a personal experience with an order and a conversation with the retailer of my first pair.
Apparently shrunken skins can tear when being lasted, particularly at the quarter panel from around the ball of the foot toward
the toe as was the case with my second pair. The retailer I was working with caught it and immediately sent them back for a remake.
I use a little extra crème in those areas and the vamp for that reason just to be safe and it seems to work.

Your situation has to be some sort of flaw with the finish, particularly from straight up mother nature's rain water.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Someone told me that I should just "go with it" because it makes the shoes look more worn in like a "Spreazzatura" kinda thing. But spots like this are hard for me to deal with. They even spotted on the soles of the shoes. You can see it on the edge trim.

what a great rational for accept sub-standard good's, rather you than me!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I use either Saphir Crème Delicate or their Leather Balm instead of the standard Reno then move on to polish.
   I think the answer to your second question is YES.

The reason I say this is based on a personal experience with an order and a conversation with the retailer of my first pair.
   Apparently shrunken skins can tear when being lasted, particularly at the quarter panel from around the ball of the foot toward
   the toe as was the case with my second pair.
The retailer I was working with caught it and immediately sent them back for a remake.
   I use a little extra crème in those areas and the vamp for that reason just to be safe and it seems to work.

Your situation has to be some sort of flaw with the finish, particularly from straight up mother nature's rain water.

Thatis very strange. I've never heard of or experienced that with shrunken leather. Must be a very dry tannage...or something.

Shrunken skins are essentially "tumbled" to "shrink" them. That's why they have the texture that they do...it's not natural. But the shrinking "builds in" extra stretch. For instance, if you cut two identical pieces of leather, one from the skin before it is shrunk and the other after, and then wet and stretch each piece, the shrunken piece will stretch more. Sometime lots more.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone told me that I should just "go with it" because it makes the shoes look more worn in like a "Spreazzatura" kinda thing. They even spotted on the soles of the shoes. You can see it on the edge trim.

common man, did you get a kiss with that tug job ?
ps: the same spotting on the edge trim . . . . moves closer to confirmation it ain't just rain water.

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thatis very strange. I've never heard of or experienced that with shrunken leather. Must be a very dry tannage...or something.

Shrunken skins are essentially "tumbled" to "shrink" them. That's why they have the texture that they do...it's not natural. But the shrinking "builds in" extra stretch. For instance, if you cut two identical pieces of leather, one from the skin before it is shrunk and the other after, and then wet and stretch each piece, the shrunken piece will stretch more. Sometime lots more.

I tend to agree with the dryness theory myself but the extra stretch capability built in from shrinking makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

NewConvert

Reaction score
So the consensus is to send them back! Ok. The folks at Leffot told me that a few clients have had problems with this shrunken leather from SC, so they asked then to investigate the problem. I was thinking about replacing them with these Gaziano Regency monks or the Saint Crispin's Suede Oxfords:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads