• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint Crispin vs Vass

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
If you like the F last, try the StC Classic last, which may be the most beautiful smart round toe I've seen.

yeah, I'm trying that too. But first I have two pairs being made up with a British firm that I am awaiting to recieve and see if they fulfill my shoe needs.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the F last, try the StC Classic last, which may be the most beautiful smart round toe I've seen.

Better than the F last? I don't believe. We need a side-by-side comparison shot.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Better than the F last? I don't believe. We need a side-by-side comparison shot.

Most of my stuff is floating across the Atlantic right now; I should be able to oblige in 2-3 weeks.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my stuff is floating across the Atlantic right now; I should be able to oblige in 2-3 weeks.

Exxxccclllent. Thanks and good luck with the move!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
imo, they are priced according to their target group and market niche.

Damn straight! Any smartbusiness hires a marketing company which does extensive research to determine:

1) what the target market is,
2) what the competition is in that market,
3) what the competition charges,
4) what the best price is to (a) penetrate the market while also (b) MAXIMIZING PROFITS.

The price diferrential between 2 "similar" products has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with product quality. It's purely doing the research & crunching the numbers.

The price differential could be a result of so many factors UNRELATED TO QUALITY, it's ridiculous. Could be that they are looking to serve different target markets (Crispin's may be willing to pay more money that Vass's).

Here's a different example... What if Vass is more efficient in manufacturing & has better brand recognition, thus have a much higher profit margin? If Vass's cost of mfg + cost of marketing is 50% of their sale price, but Crispin's is 75%, each company makes the same PROFIT on each pair sold. Vass certainly benefits from having a lower cost.

countbaron

Reaction score
What u re saying is obvious and so is not very useful. After all the ethos of SF is that evil designer brands charge huge amounts for crap products. So what?

the reason why the comparison of SC vs Vass is relevant is because they are perceived in this market (SF) which reputes itself for being well informed- as brands in the same level, be it because Austria, Romania, Hungary all look the same from the US, their shoes are of similar construction, they are not UK or Italian.

So i think the question is relevant- 1)why does SC feel they can charge that much more 2) who is responsible for giving them this warm feeling-i.e. who is buying the stuff for those prices?

Another interesting question (for another thread) is do the locals actually buy any of this stuff? I know that in Italy many well to do people have their shoes made locally and never heard of Santoni in their entire long lives- which makes the US market seem to be the main destination of all this "˜stuff'-

Often shoes seem to be like wines. The ones sold in the US are for export only- and not because they are better. Note that this is not the case in the UK since 1) UK wine is crap, 2) UK shoe manufacturers can't survive without US

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countbaron
What u re saying is obvious and so is not very useful. After all the ethos of SF is that evil designer brands charge huge amounts for crap products. So what?

What the hell are you talking about? No one said anything about "evil designer brands". What I posted was the simple truth about how companies come up with their prices. It has NOTHING to do with quality. Obviously many people don't realize this fact, as evidenced by some of the responses to the OP.

The question should have been, "has anyone compared Vass and Saint Crispin shoes. Please tell me what your impression was." Only those that have owned a handful of each would be qualified to answer.

Thankfully you are here to provide us with all relevant insight on this forum and are able to decide who's posts are of value and who's are not. Maybe YOU should go out, buy 5 pairs of each, wear them, deconstruct them, and answer the question.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countbaron

the reason why the comparison of SC vs Vass is relevant is because they are perceived in this market (SF) which reputes itself for being well informed- as brands in the same level, be it because Austria, Romania, Hungary all look the same from the US, their shoes are of similar construction, they are not UK or Italian.

So i think the question is relevant- 1)why does SC feel they can charge that much more 2) who is responsible for giving them this warm feeling-i.e. who is buying the stuff for those prices?

Another interesting question (for another thread) is do the locals actually buy any of this stuff? I know that in Italy many well to do people have their shoes made locally and never heard of Santoni in their entire long lives- which makes the US market seem to be the main destination of all this ‘stuff’-

Often shoes seem to be like wines. The ones sold in the US are for export only- and not because they are better. Note that this is not the case in the UK since 1) UK wine is crap, 2) UK shoe manufacturers can’t survive without US

A lot in this but you have to look at the economies of both Romania and Hungary and ask why there would be such a disparity in price. Romania is a very backward place in the Eastern part of the EC whilst Hungary is one of the more advanced. Maybe "the price differential" has nothing to do with the labour price after all.

countbaron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
What the hell are you talking about? No one said anything about "evil designer brands". What I posted was the simple truth about how companies come up with their prices. It has NOTHING to do with quality. Obviously many people don't realize this fact, as evidenced by some of the responses to the OP.

The question should have been, "has anyone compared Vass and Saint Crispin shoes. Please tell me what your impression was." Only those that have owned a handful of each would be qualified to answer.

Thankfully you are here to provide us with all relevant insight on this forum and are able to decide who's posts are of value and who's are not. Maybe YOU should go out, buy 5 pairs of each, wear them, deconstruct them, and answer the question.

calm down 'dude'

mth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot

St. Crispins Classic Last v. Vass F Last

St. Crispins Chisel Last v. Vass U Last

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no preference with the round toes.

prefer the SC chisel.

what's your overall experience in comparison of the both brands?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I prefer the Vass lasts for both. The main reason being that they have more shape along the inside of the foot.

Thanks so much for the comparison shots!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That Vass suede number is a pretty sexy shoe IMHO.

mth

Reaction score
I much prefer the SC to the Vass although I do enjoy wearing both. It's hard to tell with the photographs, but the Vass lasts tend to be a fair bit bulkier overall when compared to the St. Crispins. You really notice this in the heel of the Vass shoes. The St. Crispins also have a much more of a "hand made/bespoke" feel when wearing the shoe -- it's admittedly hard to explain, but you notice it as soon as your foot enters the shoe and you take your first steps. The SC feels more solid yet more flexible at the same time. All of that said, the price/performance ratio for Vass is hard to beat.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mth
I much prefer the SC to the Vass although I do enjoy wearing both. It's hard to tell with the photographs, but the Vass lasts tend to be a fair bit bulkier overall when compared to the St. Crispins. You really notice this in the heel of the Vass shoes. The St. Crispins also have a much more of a "hand made/bespoke" feel when wearing the shoe -- it's admittedly hard to explain, but you notice it as soon as your foot enters the shoe and you take your first steps. The SC feels more solid yet more flexible at the same time. All of that said, the price/performance ratio for Vass is hard to beat.

That's actually another reason why I like the Vass. I've been preferring a bit more fullness in look these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics