• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sail Boats

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Yahtie sails and maybe a few other members of the forum. I was taught a little while in elementary school but none of it stuck. I mainly want to know about the price of purchasing, storing and maintaining a boat, something around 35 feet. I'd also like to know how hard is it for an adult to learn how to sail, and if sailing vessels are any good for fishing(mainly in Cape Cod) Thanks in advanced.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sailing is not hard to learn. You can join a local sailing organization for more info or find much of the research you need through http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cmps_index.php The most difficult part is buying and maintaining, the ladder requires a lot of money and patience but the joy is immense. I'm doing research myself but no where near the point of buying. Owning a boat is something to be considered when you have all your finances worked out. I won't go into it as a novice. The headache of maintaining and selling is a real fact.
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I know Yahtie sails and maybe a few other members of the forum. I was taught a little while in elementary school but none of it stuck. I mainly want to know about the price of purchasing, storing and maintaining a boat, something around 35 feet. I'd also like to know how hard is it for an adult to learn how to sail, and if sailing vessels are any good for fishing(mainly in Cape Cod) Thanks in advanced.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Boats are money pits.

I suppose it is not impossible to fish from a sailboat, but certainly there are better options. From a pure sailboat (no engine), forget it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought all sailboats had engines too.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

The larger they are, the more likely this is, but it is by no means universal.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

They're really just meant for getting in and out of the harbor or in an emergency when there's no wind.

Sail boats are awesome though. I want one after I have a house. There isn't a more relaxing way to spend a day. Lasers are a blast too, but only if the water where you're sailing it isn't disgusting.
lol8[1].gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
The golden rule of boats is: If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Nonetheless, sailing at summer camp was one of my childhood(teenagehood?) joys, and I would wish it on any boy or girl.

I know one guy who came into a lot of money from his mother's inheritance, and bought a 50 or 60 foot boat and basically moved on to it, spending half the year playing music with a small orchestra and the other half sailing up and down the East Coast.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the most marsupialed cliches I've ever heard, not just for boats but for many finer things in life.

Originally Posted by Augusto86
The golden rule of boats is: If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads