• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sagara Shoes from Indonesia

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done a MTO.

Style: Regent
Toe Cap: Split Toe
Size: 45D
Upper: Vegetable Tanned - Oxblood
Lining: Full Lining - Tan
Hardware: Brass 4 eyelets + 4 speedhooks
Toe Box: Structured
Shoelast: Mark
Construction: 360 degree Handwelted - Norwegian Welt
Sole: Single midsole + Sagara rubber sole
Heel: Sagara rubber heel
Edge Trim: Antique Wine

Will do a review once i get them ...

They should look something like this

IMG_0552.jpg

Lumaca

Reaction score
I have done a MTO.

Hardware: Brass 4 eyelets + 4 speedhooks
Construction: 360 degree Handwelted - Norwegian Welt

Will do a review once i get them ...

They should look something like this

View attachment 1183669
Just checked their instagram. Seems they just launched a new type of leather, "Merlot Oil-Tanned". Is that their new in house cxl? Interesting...

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just checked their instagram. Seems they just launched a new type of leather, "Merlot Oil-Tanned". Is that their new in house cxl? Interesting...

i emailed them about their oil tanned leather .. this is the reply i got

"Merlot is an oil tanned or chrome tanned leather with a glaze finishing that is why it is shiny and through the natural coloring process, makes the color uneven.

We can not say that it is our version of Chromexcel since Chromexcel use two tanning process which are vegetable tanned and chrome tanned. The difference is oil tanned has considerable oil contentment and density, the lighter undertone color will appear when it is pulled or bent. It is a full grain Pull Up leather in truth."

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i finally got my Sagara boots last week. To recap, i went for the following configuration

Hardware: Brass 5 eyelets + 3 speedhooks
Construction: 360 degree Handwelted - 270 degree Norwegian Welt

Final cost of the Boots (including local shipping) was 228 USD. They had initially quoted a price of 275 USD, this was including international shipping (free international shipping). But i told them that i am coming to Indonesia in September, so after a few emails they decided to give me a discount and charged 228 USD since they would save the cost of international shipping.

I ordered this in the first week of June. They dispatched these boots on the 13th of September to my hotel in Indonesia.

First Impression: I really liked these boots. Leather quality seems to be good. The construction quality is very good. there is good finishing on the boot as well. Stitching seems to be very neat and of high density. I think they are Incredible quality for the price i paid considering they are totally custom made and hand welted.

IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage of the Sagara Hand-welted, vegetable tanned, Norwegian split-toe boots in oxblood. It has a 270 degree Norwegian-welt and a 360 degree hand-welt.

Tried to grab as many shots in direct and indirect sunlight as possible to give a better idea of the boot.

I am not happy with the laces, will look to swap them out for something else soon..

IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1203.jpg
IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1215.jpg

blago

Reaction score
Hello. I've been lurking around the forums absorbing information for a long time. Today I finally have something to share: a pair of custom made Sagara boots.

Style: Legacy X
Toe Cap: Plain Toe
Size: 42D
Upper: Shell Cordovan - Dark Brown
Hardware: Hidden 4 eyelets + 4 speed hooks
Shoe last: Mark
Construction: 360-degree Handwelted - Storm Welt
Heel: Commando heel
Edge Trim: Natural

I already had a pretty good idea what I want, so even though there were so many choices to be made and we communicated over email across different timezones, the order process only took 5 days. Communication was not lightning-speed but very reliable and predictable.

The final price was $736, including shipping and fees. I'm sure a large part of this amount went to cover the cost of the shell cordovan leather. The order was placed on May 13 and I received the shipment in the first week of September so it took about 17 weeks.

My initial impressions are overall positive. I love the look which reminds me of Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill. The craftsmanship is top-notch and I can't find any quality issues. There was virtually no break-in period and I was able to go quite a few miles on the first day without blisters.

I have mixed feelings about the sole and the heel - it seems pretty high and the feeling is a bit unnatural when I walk. My feet are forces at an uncomfortable angle relative to my legs and this engages previously unused muscles. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to...

It's too early to evaluate the quality of the cordovan leather but my first impression is that it's noticeably different from the Horween shell. I own a pair of Color 8 Alden's and the Italian shell used by Sagara has less color depth. It also doesn't seem to stretch and develop the same kind of "rolls" like the Alden's.

Let me know what you think. I am eager to hear your opinion...

Thanks,
Blago

Attachments

• IMG_6914.JPG
    IMG_6914.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6916.JPG
    IMG_6916.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6917.JPG
    IMG_6917.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6919.JPG
    IMG_6919.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6922.JPG
    IMG_6922.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6925.JPG
    IMG_6925.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6928.JPG
    IMG_6928.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6932.JPG
    IMG_6932.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6933.JPG
    IMG_6933.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6940.JPG
    IMG_6940.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6945.JPG
    IMG_6945.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6951.JPG
    IMG_6951.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6952.JPG
    IMG_6952.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6954.JPG
    IMG_6954.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6956.JPG
    IMG_6956.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6957.JPG
    IMG_6957.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6959.JPG
    IMG_6959.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_6961.JPG
    IMG_6961.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 277

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. I've been lurking around the forums absorbing information for a long time. Today I finally have something to share: a pair of custom made Sagara boots.

I already had a pretty good idea what I want, so even though there were so many choices to be made and we communicated over email across different timezones, the order process only took 5 days. Communication was not lightning-speed but very reliable and predictable.

The final price was $736, including shipping and fees. I'm sure a large part of this amount went to cover the cost of the shell cordovan leather. The order was placed on May 13 and I received the shipment in the first week of September so it took about 17 weeks.

My initial impressions are overall positive. I love the look which reminds me of Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill. The craftsmanship is top-notch and I can't find any quality issues. There was virtually no break-in period and I was able to go quite a few miles on the first day without blisters.

I have mixed feelings about the sole and the heel - it seems pretty high and the feeling is a bit unnatural when I walk. My feet are forces at an uncomfortable angle relative to my legs and this engages previously unused muscles. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to...

It's too early to evaluate the quality of the cordovan leather but my first impression is that it's noticeably different from the Horween shell. I own a pair of Color 8 Alden's and the Italian shell used by Sagara has less color depth. It also doesn't seem to stretch and develop the same kind of "rolls" like the Alden's.

Thanks,
Blago
WOW.. these look amazing ... as far as I know they get their cordovan from Italy which is not shiny .. horween does give additional finishing to their cordovan that gives it that shiny look...

I think the problem is that u mixed the heel and the sole ... u should have gone for commando for both or the sagara heel and sole for both.

I think 70% cost is the cost or cordovan.. since they don’t import it in bulk ... but I do like their craftsmanship

please do regular / long term reviews.. I would really like to know how this cordovan breaks in over time

Pieroofan

Reaction score

Thanks,
Blago
Hi ,
Is the price in usd or aud .
Seems pretty steep if is is in usd , considering duty and shipping .

cheers

Pieroofan

Reaction score
I am pretty sure its USD
I have ordered a service boot in Cordovan from TXTURE , the total including shipping set me back by 780 aud ( extras due to some addition that I made ) .. 780 usd seems bit too dear for a pair of boots from Indonesia

blago

Reaction score
Hi ,
Is the price in usd or aud .
Seems pretty steep if is is in usd , considering duty and shipping .

cheers
The price is in USD. Shell cordovan is an expensive material, they would've been a lot less expensive if another material was used. Shipping was free. We have a daily duty-free allowance of $800 USD in the US. Hence, the price was inclusive of everything.

Pieroofan

Reaction score
The price is in USD. Shell cordovan is an expensive material, they would've been a lot less expensive if another material was used. Shipping was free. We have a daily duty-free allowance of $800 USD in the US. Hence, the price was inclusive of everything.

Sounds expensive irrespective of the material used when compared to other Indonesian boot makers .
Thanks for the update anyway , I am waiting for my order to arrive in the next few months .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads