• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safe to smoke from vintage tobacco pipe?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a chunk today with several items in it, including an old Dunhill pipe. Can the tip (contact with mouth) be changed? Is it safe to just wash the head part with water?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you're probably fine, use a pipe cleaner to ream the entire pipe and mouthpiece out though.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. If you want to be really careful two things... DO NOT use plain water to wash the bowl. You can get a cleaning solution for pipes for about $4 at your pipe store. Before you go, make sure it is an authorized Dunhill retailer. They can send off your pipe and have a new stem made. I had an Edwards pipe that needed a new stem. It was $30, Dunhill probably a bit more.

If you don't want to do that, there is one company (whose name I forget) that all they do is clean and restore estate pipes as they are known. Send it to them

Or, you could just go ahead, you are likely fine. I would at the minimum get the cleaner.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ed, have you never smoked weed before? you're telling me a mail order cleaning is necessary for a pipe?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I often smoke pipes from the 50s and 60s. They smoke better than what is made today.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ed, have you never smoked weed before? you're telling me a mail order cleaning is necessary for a pipe?

Nope. Never done any drugs actually.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait...so the mouth piece is unique to the pipe? Damn, I thought I can buy a new one to replace the chewed one already on the pipe.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wait...so the mouth piece is unique to the pipe? Damn, I thought I can buy a new one to replace the chewed one already on the pipe.

Not to the pipe but the model. Other stems might work.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On a high-end pipe, even a factory one like a Dunhill, the mouthpiece will have been turned and finished together with the briar shank so that the two parts fit together smoothly and seamlessly. You can fit a replacement, but it won't be as nice unless it has been fit and finished by hand on to your pipe. A good pipe restorer will do that, and it will cost $40-50, especially if you want the Dunhill white dot logo on it. If the current bit hasn't collapsed and is is usable, I would keep it even if it has some tooth marks. Clean it (inside and out) with Everclear, high proof vodka or rubbing alcohol (I use the latter, but only because I don't have either of the other two). In fact, you should spend some time running some alcohol dipped pipe cleaners through the pipe to clean it as well and do the same with the inside of the bowl. If the pipe wasn't cleaned before being sold to you, you will be amazed at how much gunk is in there. Note that the bit is probably made of hard, vulcanized rubber and it is normal for it to discolor with an ugly, brownish, greenish haze over time. That is no big deal and can be fixed yourself or by a pipe shop. It won't affect the smoking, so why don't you see if you like smoking the pipe at all. If you do, then you might want to spend more effort on the cosmetic cleanup.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads