• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Jacket Saga

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I'm also in the market this year and was planning to have Chan make one for me (the cost is the same as Paul Stuart's RTW), to Lost World's specs.

But try finding six ounce cloth at the usual fabric sources. I haven't seen anything less than nine ounces, so Lost Worlds may get another customer.

Shirtmaven told me he has extensive experience making these and you might want to talk with him. That's what I would do. Or just go Lost Worlds, though they were less than fun to talk to when I did reach them on the phone. There is a benefit to using someone who has had his product put through the paces with the resulting feedback on what does and doesn't work.
Or perhaps Chan has that experience, too.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I'm also in the market this year and was planning to have Chan make one for me (the cost is the same as Paul Stuart's RTW), to Lost World's specs.

But try finding six ounce cloth at the usual fabric sources. I haven't seen anything less than nine ounces, so Lost Worlds may get another customer.

Why not use Chat-Bite? I've seen a raw silk Saharienne they made for a customer.

brescd01

Reaction score
Manton, can't you follow the simplest instruction? Snarky replies WITH your name.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had any experience with these chaps?

www.tagsafari.com

I note that they offer rather classic looking, made-in-Zimbabwe safari jackets for only $79.99.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
Manton, can't you follow the simplest instruction? Snarky replies WITH your name.

David, given your extensive experience in researching SF members, haven't you yet figured out that IS my name?

To the OP: The shirt jacket that whoopee posted, made by Carl, looked a lot like this. If I were in the market for one of these, I would go to him.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Has anybody had any experience with these chaps?

www.tagsafari.com

I note that they offer rather classic looking, made-in-Zimbabwe safari jackets for only $79.99.

Made in Zimbabwe?! Should that go in the Mugabe tailoring thread?

(For teh Bresch: ) R. J. Mann

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm here to please.

fal2.jpg

When I grow up, I want to be like that!

-

CodeRed

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the quality difference between the filson and lost world versions? You can get he filson for roughly have the price, but the LW is made by a single person, albeit both in the USA. I have had very good experience with Filson in the past, but I have also heard very good things about LW. Thx.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know nothing about Lost world.
I think the filson jackets are awful.
the fabric is so so and the needle work is just bad. Huge stitches, loose threads everywhere.

I have seen some jackets that Leonard Logsdail has made. those were quite nice!

The details that make a safari jacket interesting can be very expensive. You need double needle machines for the effects, and most shirtmakers do not own those machines. Hence the sewer must sew the same piece twice for edge and quarter stitching.
The brass buttons need to go through eyelets, etc.

Carl

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
The details that make a safari jacket interesting can be very expensive. You need double needle machines for the effects, and most shirtmakers do not own those machines. Hence the sewer must sew the same piece twice for edge and quarter stitching. The brass buttons need to go through eyelets, etc. Carl
So the lack of proper equipment is how you justify cost to a customer?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, what were you doing that you urgently needed a safari jacket - but only this one time?
laugh.gif

You won't be happy until you have one custom made.

CodeRed

Reaction score
The reason that I want one is that I plan on hiking across the panama isthmus in sept. I thought that it might be a good choice for around the camp, etc. based upon the heat factor. Perhaps a bush shirt instead would be a better choice overall.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I had to look up peroration. I am still not sure how to take your comment, but I suppose, unlike Bresch, I am comfortable not caring.

But like Bresch, I will be perpetually unhappy about this purchase. I now know that nothing short of showing up at the Lost Worlds factory and having them make me one to size and spec. will satisfy me. But I also know that will never happen as my need for this one may be urgent, but it is also likely non-recurrent. I surely don't need two. So I will suffer with this not-quite perfect jacket and forever berate myself for not having started looking earlier.

The post was interesting but for what purpose????...you would have been better going to the Adventurers thread on the Fedora Lounge for that information...IMHO

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soph had the definitive thread on these a little while back -- he had a stunning coat in there. It was a Borelli or a Barbera, I believe. Holdfast even has a pretty cool Zara safari jacket that I wish I could get a hold of. I have several and wear them pretty regularly, though the Brooks gets the most use....
es1ui3.jpg

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dopey - I didn't read all the posts but am relieved to find someone who "agonizes" over decisions of this type, goes to great length to search for an apparel or accessory item, and will contributed long detailed posts I've been accused of!
One little thing about your initial post: regarding the fake gussets, why wouldn't you start with trying to remove the stitching with a simple manicure scissors to see if they're any "life" (i.e. real pocket) in there?
Are safare jackets "coming back?" I think I have more about them lately. I recall when they were big in the late '60s and then '70s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads