1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Safari Jacket Saga

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dopey, Jun 26, 2008.

1. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

The mention of my name is funny in a sad way. I have written in objective fashion about my failures or successes, in contrast to the self-congratulatory tone of lots of posts, and you interpret this to mean I am perpetually unhappy. I am not. Just honest with myself. Unfortunately, I do not have gobs of time to work on perfectly expressing my feelings on fora and blogs. And before the automatic snarky replies are sent, please remember to sign them with your real names, like real men.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

And before the automatic snarky replies are sent, please remember to sign them with your real names, like real men.

Your capacity to astound is limitless.

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Call the store and get 25% off a Filson bush jacket. Deal?

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Call the store and get 25% off a Filson bush jacket. Deal?

Great deal.

I already bought mine yesterday, but the Filson isn't a bad choice, especially at that price, for anyone who is still looking. Watch out for the weird sizing, though.

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Filson sizes generously and the cut allows freedom of movement. They do this so you can layer clothing and their clothes are designed for very active people. Their form fits their function.

6. dopey

Filson sizes generously and the cut allows freedom of movement. They do this so you can layer clothing and their clothes are designed for very active people. Their form fits their function.
    Thanks. The Orvis salesman told me they had changed the cut significantly to make it more generous. It used to be more close fitting. I suppose everyone's needs are different, but this is a very lightweight piece and I don't think of it as a jacket so much as an outer shirt for light travel. My plan is to take lots of clean T-shirts and use this on top as a comfortably fitting outer shirt that will hold everything I need in place of a jacket. The Small is still loose enough to fit over a T-shirt and regular shirt, but not with an additional layer like a sweater. A more generous cut would just impede movement. I generally find that for real activity, you want the snuggest fit you can wear so that the excess material is out of your way. But that isn't even what I was looking for here. Just something I wouldn't swim in. For perspective, I wear a size 40 jacket and a 15.5/33 shirt. Normally, a Small would not fit me. I guess each buyer needs to think about how he intends to use it. BTW, I don't think the function is really compromised, but I can see how, in many ways, this was manufactured with low cost volume production in mind. The materials are good, but the labor saving is evident.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Very odd about the ornamental pockets on the Press jacket. I had thought that it was pretty attractive on the website. One wonders why they would go to such trouble to make it useless.

Best price I've found for one was my original label Banana Republic safari shirt jacket, alas no interior pockets. No belt (fine by me), but elasticized along the back. And the pockets work. Perfect shape for $7 at the local thrift:

[​IMG]

Man enough to sign as...
    Alan
    the real, genuine name my momma gave me

1 person likes this.
  8. dopey

Very odd about the ornamental pockets on the Press jacket. I had thought that it was pretty attractive on the website. One wonders why they would go to such trouble to make it useless. . . .
    I still have this nagging suspicion that I was all wrong about the pockets. I did check and recheck them because I couldn't believe the design would be that dumb and my first inclination is always to think it is more likely that I am mistaken than that someone else would do something patently absurd. But I couldn't figure out how to get the bellows pockets to expand.

Maybe a kind reader will go to the local JPress and check this for themselves.

9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm also in the market this year and was planning to have Chan make one for me (the cost is the same as Paul Stuart's RTW), to Lost World's specs.

But try finding six ounce cloth at the usual fabric sources. I haven't seen anything less than nine ounces, so Lost Worlds may get another customer.

10. dopey

I'm also in the market this year and was planning to have Chan make one for me (the cost is the same as Paul Stuart's RTW), to Lost World's specs.

But try finding six ounce cloth at the usual fabric sources. I haven't seen anything less than nine ounces, so Lost Worlds may get another customer.

Shirtmaven told me he has extensive experience making these and you might want to talk with him. That's what I would do. Or just go Lost Worlds, though they were less than fun to talk to when I did reach them on the phone. There is a benefit to using someone who has had his product put through the paces with the resulting feedback on what does and doesn't work.
    Or perhaps Chan has that experience, too.

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why not use Chat-Bite? I've seen a raw silk Saharienne they made for a customer.

12. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

Manton, can't you follow the simplest instruction? Snarky replies WITH your name.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Has anybody had any experience with these chaps?

www.tagsafari.com

I note that they offer rather classic looking, made-in-Zimbabwe safari jackets for only $79.99.

14. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton, can't you follow the simplest instruction? Snarky replies WITH your name.

David, given your extensive experience in researching SF members, haven't you yet figured out that IS my name?

To the OP: The shirt jacket that whoopee posted, made by Carl, looked a lot like this. If I were in the market for one of these, I would go to him.

15. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Has anybody had any experience with these chaps?

www.tagsafari.com

I note that they offer rather classic looking, made-in-Zimbabwe safari jackets for only $79.99.

Made in Zimbabwe?! Should that go in the Mugabe tailoring thread?

(For teh Bresch: ) R. J. Mann

16. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

I'm here to please.

[​IMG]

When I grow up, I want to be like that!

-

17. CodeRed

CodeRed Senior member

Can anyone comment on the quality difference between the filson and lost world versions? You can get he filson for roughly have the price, but the LW is made by a single person, albeit both in the USA. I have had very good experience with Filson in the past, but I have also heard very good things about LW. Thx.

18. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know nothing about Lost world.
    I think the filson jackets are awful.
    the fabric is so so and the needle work is just bad. Huge stitches, loose threads everywhere.

I have seen some jackets that Leonard Logsdail has made. those were quite nice!

The details that make a safari jacket interesting can be very expensive. You need double needle machines for the effects, and most shirtmakers do not own those machines. Hence the sewer must sew the same piece twice for edge and quarter stitching.
    The brass buttons need to go through eyelets, etc.

Carl

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The details that make a safari jacket interesting can be very expensive. You need double needle machines for the effects, and most shirtmakers do not own those machines. Hence the sewer must sew the same piece twice for edge and quarter stitching. The brass buttons need to go through eyelets, etc. Carl
    So the lack of proper equipment is how you justify cost to a customer?