1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Saddleback Leather Company - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Former Affiliate Vendor Threads; a Locked Forum.' started by LA Guy, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

That's a very nice website & the leather products look pretty amazing & sturdy.
    The satchels looked particularly nice & jolted some memories for me.
    I grew up in South East Asia, In Bangkok since I was with both of my parents at the time. My folks were originally British and according to them, every school kid in their generation went to school with a satchel & Clark's shoes. We had a guy in Bangkok construct a dark brown leather satchel for me, nothing nearly as sophisticated as what you produce, but it suited a young kid. I went to an international school in Bangkok, which was truly a melting pot.

Upon returning to school in Saratoga, since I was born here in California, the hostility, & bad vibes was palpable within the first hour of going back to school & "catching up" on American culture. Apparently I didn't know who Evil Knievel was which was a pretty big sin. I remember walking down the hallway in Clarks shoes which had perforated leather near the toe & my satchel & I got the "Evil Eye" from one five hundred yards in all directions. I think they thought I was either gay or a transplant from another planet or both. I got pushed into some nasty fights & ditched the garb to try and fit in. Actually, I'm remembering now, I used the satchel for several years after coming back here.

The pressure to conform is sometimes a pretty horrendous thing.

Jesus, I don't know what to make of this story in the context of this thread. I came to read about leather bags; I walk away feeling no hope for humanity. I justed wanted to look at bags, man.

At least you can take solace in the fact that you were a trendsetter. Nowadays, you can carry a Saddleback, and if any young punk gives you grief just tell him, "It's not a bag, it's a leather sarcophagus, motherfu...."

2. Saddleback Leather

Saddleback Leather Senior member

That's a very nice website & the leather products look pretty amazing & sturdy.
    The satchels looked particularly nice & jolted some memories for me.
    I grew up in South East Asia, In Bangkok since I was with both of my parents at the time. My folks were originally British and according to them, every school kid in their generation went to school with a satchel & Clark's shoes. We had a guy in Bangkok construct a dark brown leather satchel for me, nothing nearly as sophisticated as what you produce, but it suited a young kid. I went to an international school in Bangkok, which was truly a melting pot.

Upon returning to school in Saratoga, since I was born here in California, the hostility, & bad vibes was palpable within the first hour of going back to school & "catching up" on American culture. Apparently I didn't know who Evil Knievel was which was a pretty big sin. I remember walking down the hallway in Clarks shoes which had perforated leather near the toe & my satchel & I got the "Evil Eye" from one five hundred yards in all directions. I think they thought I was either gay or a transplant from another planet or both. I got pushed into some nasty fights & ditched the garb to try and fit in. Actually, I'm remembering now, I used the satchel for several years after coming back here.

The pressure to conform is sometimes a pretty horrendous thing.

Hey SantaCruzGuy,

I completely understand. I didn't go through anything like that myself, but I went to a Christian college and met a lot of missionary kids who had very similar difficulties. I guess my answer is to just be who you are and say F#@! off to the people who can't handle your true self.

On a side note, you're experience in Bangkok is something not many people can say they've had. Why were you there?

3. Saddleback Leather

Jesus, I don't know what to make of this story in the context of this thread. I came to read about leather bags; I walk away feeling no hope for humanity. I justed wanted to look at bags, man.

At least you can take solace in the fact that you were a trendsetter. Nowadays, you can carry a Saddleback, and if any young punk gives you grief just tell him, "It's not a bag, it's a leather sarcophagus, motherfu...."

I love the fact that this thread isn't just about leather bags because Saddleback isn't just about leather bags. More than anything, our products try to create a different kind of life experience. They put you in an exclusive, different kind of community. We don't want to be like everyone else and we sure as hell don't want to avoid the conversations about real life. We just want to make cool leather stuff we hope will create adventure and community in people's lives. No experience is off limits and no one's experience is any better or worse than anyone else's experience. We like real.

4. Naf Nasitra

Naf Nasitra Senior member

Have you ever thought of making a standard billfold wallet?

5. Saddleback Leather

As a matter of fact, we have. Saddleback is all set to launch a new set of products, one of which is a very cool bi-fold wallet. We are just making a few design modifications and the wallet should be launched by the end of the month.

6. Saddleback Leather

Congratulations to Dano Bennet out of Rochester, Michigan for winning The Awesomer Saddleback Messenger Bag Giveaway!

7. Saddleback Leather

Check out the Badger and Blade Carnival of Smiles: http://badgerandblade.com. All kinds of chances to win sweet prizes from over 30 companies including a Saddleback Briefcase!

8. Saddleback Leather

9. SantaCruzGuy

SantaCruzGuy Well-Known Member

Hi Guys!

I was in Bangkok growing up because I was really young & still with my parents. My dad worked for Kaiser Cement & we were transferred out there. I was lucky inasmuch as I was also able to travel around a lot as well as grow up there too. It was very much a life changing experience!

I felt really bad & a bit embarrassed actually after reading the first response to my post & felt the need to apologize. I wasn't in a foul mood that night, but was merely recounting my anecdotal experiences. I didn't want to make anyone feel bad when they just came in to read about some very cool new bags, etc.

I do want to add that I'm thrilled to see American companies that are producing or nearly producing an American made product. In America, we've thrown away so much of our skills, talents, & know how really into the garbage & simply looked for a quick buck regardless of how we get the cash. I really resent Levi jeans for ex. when I look inside the label & see they're being made in Honduras, South Africa, etc. & spout off about being an "American original", genuine product, real deal type of thing. There's a lot of unemployed people in California that I'm sure would be delighted to be put to useful work making high quality jeans & working for a respectable wage & getting health care to boot. I'd be willing to pay for that too. I think if America is going to succeed in the future, we need get back to making & producing things that are useful & have long term value to society. Your bags seem to harbor many of those qualities that I admire in an American product.

Enough of my soap box rant! [​IMG]

I really enjoyed spending time reading about the history of your products on your website.

Cheers.

10. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I felt really bad & a bit embarrassed actually after reading the first response to my post & felt the need to apologize. I wasn't in a foul mood that night, but was merely recounting my anecdotal experiences. I didn't want to make anyone feel bad when they just came in to read about some very cool new bags, etc.

Now I feel embarassed (my post was that post). Please don't apologize, it was meant in jest. I liked the story...

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

If you guys ever considered using a quick-release buckle (the antique kind, nothing newfangled) on the primary buckle, that would be.....pretty awesome.

~ H

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

As a matter of fact, we have. Saddleback is all set to launch a new set of products, one of which is a very cool bi-fold wallet. We are just making a few design modifications and the wallet should be launched by the end of the month.

I thought that was a good idea, too.

I have a layman's question I was hoping you could answer: how do you get the leather thin enough for a wallet? I've read the leather explanation on the Saddleback site; is it just a matter of taking a slimmer "slice" off the top layer of the hide? I'm curious how that works.

13. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Been forgetting about it but anyways, here's mine. I mink oiled it, but other than that I have thrown it down stairs in anger, run over it with a car, walked around in a Japanese typhoon or two with it, and more or less treated it as if I was its alcoholic husband.

[​IMG]

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Nice shoes. Seriously.

15. Saddleback Leather

Hi SantaCruzGuy,

No problem, I enjoyed your honestly and actually thought the guy's post to your post was pretty humorous. It was obvious he was posting in jest, but I wanted to make sure you felt cool posting here.

For honesty's sake, after reading your post about American products, you should know that all of our production is done in Mexico. We have a production company based in Leon, Mexico. I understand the political arguments on both sides for and against outsourcing and globalization. We don't promote our company on our website as an "American original" company. The majority of our employees work in the States, but it's just too expensive to produce in the States. We'd lose the American jobs we have created if we tried. Unfortunately that's the sad truth, but there are a lot of Mexican families putting food on the table also because of the jobs we've created down there as well. Whatever your views are on this issue, I think everyone can agree that at the very least globalization has brought millions of people around the globe out of poverty.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Hi Guys!

I was in Bangkok growing up because I was really young & still with my parents. My dad worked for Kaiser Cement & we were transferred out there. I was lucky inasmuch as I was also able to travel around a lot as well as grow up there too. It was very much a life changing experience!

I do want to add that I'm thrilled to see American companies that are producing or nearly producing an American made product. In America, we've thrown away so much of our skills, talents, & know how really into the garbage & simply looked for a quick buck regardless of how we get the cash. I really resent Levi jeans for ex. when I look inside the label & see they're being made in Honduras, South Africa, etc. & spout off about being an "American original", genuine product, real deal type of thing. There's a lot of unemployed people in California that I'm sure would be delighted to be put to useful work making high quality jeans & working for a respectable wage & getting health care to boot. I'd be willing to pay for that too. I think if America is going to succeed in the future, we need get back to making & producing things that are useful & have long term value to society. Your bags seem to harbor many of those qualities that I admire in an American product.

Enough of my soap box rant! [​IMG]

I really enjoyed spending time reading about the history of your products on your website.

Cheers.

16. Saddleback Leather

If you guys ever considered using a quick-release buckle (the antique kind, nothing newfangled) on the primary buckle, that would be.....pretty awesome.

~ H

Hi Huntsman,

I chuckled after seeing your name handle because I just got done with a wedding this weekend in Florida and heard Wisconsin hunting story after hunting story from the groom's grandpa. Makes me want to take a holiday and go get me a buck!

Yes, we have considered a quick-release buckle. We are just careful to not incorporate anything into the design of the bag we think might be breakable. I'm definitely going to look into your suggestion because that would be a great addition to the bag. Do you have a link or picture of the buckle you are talking about that I could check out?

Thanks!
    Jonathan

17. Saddleback Leather

I thought that was a good idea, too.

I have a layman's question I was hoping you could answer: how do you get the leather thin enough for a wallet? I've read the leather explanation on the Saddleback site; is it just a matter of taking a slimmer "slice" off the top layer of the hide? I'm curious how that works.

That is a great question! We're actually taking a bit longer then we'd like coming out with the new bi-fold wallet because of that issue. But it's not necessarily the thickness of leather but the internal pockets that we are tweaking to make sure the wallet isn't too thick and has plenty of utility.

The short answer to your question is yes, we trim the bottom of the hide. With the suitcases and a few other products, the leather craftsmen shave off the bottom levels of the hide by hand with special tools to make the leather thinner. With the wallets, the hides are put through a special machine that shaves off a bottom layer from the hide to thin it up a bit.

Did that answer your question?

Cheers!
    Jonathan

18. Saddleback Leather

Been forgetting about it but anyways, here's mine. I mink oiled it, but other than that I have thrown it down stairs in anger, run over it with a car, walked around in a Japanese typhoon or two with it, and more or less treated it as if I was its alcoholic husband.

[​IMG]

But of course, unlike a marriage, the bag just looks better the more you mistreat it! When I was stationed at the embassy in Tunis, Tunisia, I took my briefcase hiking up a large mountain not too far outside of Tunis. There was a lot of brush and briars that we had to go through and my bag was dropped, smashed between rocks and beat up like a red-headed step child. I got home and oiled it up and it looked beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

19. Saddleback Leather

Now I feel embarassed (my post was that post). Please don't apologize, it was meant in jest. I liked the story...

No worries, I think it was pretty clear you were joking.

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Hi Huntsman, I chuckled after seeing your name handle because I just got done with a wedding this weekend in Florida and heard Wisconsin hunting story after hunting story from the groom's grandpa. Makes me want to take a holiday and go get me a buck! Yes, we have considered a quick-release buckle. We are just careful to not incorporate anything into the design of the bag we think might be breakable. I'm definitely going to look into your suggestion because that would be a great addition to the bag. Do you have a link or picture of the buckle you are talking about that I could check out? Thanks! Jonathan
    Wisconsin would be mulies, I suppose? I'm just an upland guy these days. I feel your philosophy, hence you'll never hear any velcro suggestions or the like from me, but I would hope this pattern of buckle could be as well engineered as any of the more typical hardware you guys use, like the clips and such. This is an old style of buckle, here is one example: http://www.timhardy.com/quick_release_belts.html Just one, on that center strap, would be really awesome, not to mention that their style is born from practicality, and has that elegant utilitarianism to it. ~ Huntsman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.