1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Saddleback Leather Company - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Former Affiliate Vendor Threads; a Locked Forum.' started by LA Guy, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

Very correct chev! Sadly it will be replace as EDC by its bigger sister coming monday. Can't wait!

2. chev4x4

chev4x4 Senior member

I got this on the internet -- "twins"

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

Today's weather.

[​IMG]

4. Saddleback Leather

Saddleback Leather Senior member

MrM - Where is your umbrella?! The Chestnut still looks mighty-fine even when drenched. Be sure to let it totally dry out before putting it away.

chev4x4 - That's a good looking pair you have there!

Y'all have a great weekend!
    ~Susan~

5. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

My umbrella flipped from the strong wind. It is drying nicely on the chair. I will condition it tomorrow. :)

6. Mr VEV

Mr VEV Member

Hello, I’m new to this forum, but I’m not new to the Saddleback Leather: I’m a happy owner of about 15 different SBL items varying from Luggage Tag to Front Pocket Backpack and Classic Briefcase. The Classic Briefcase has actually been the first in my collection. I’ve been using it almost daily for over a year until I decided that it’s too large and heavy for my daily needs. (I know, one year is an extremely long period of time for someone to decide that an item does not fully fit the needs. However, once you own a Saddleback Leather product (in fact, any of their product) you seem to develop a what I call a “Saddleback Leather Addiction Disorder (SBLAD)”: you need to own it, you need to see it, you need to carry it…)

The above doesn’t mean that I don’t like my Classic Briefcase anymore or that I’ll never use it again. On the contrary, I love it even more as it shows those beautiful signs of graceful aging. And I still use it when I travel or when I need to carry more things then just my 14” laptop, few wallets (of course they are all SBL), small notepad and some other EDC.

One of the latest additions to my SBL collection is a Medium Thin Briefcase in Carbon. Although Chestnut is my favorite color, I wanted to have a simpler and smaller bag in Carbon which I could use for more formal occasions and yet which would not look glossy and shiny as the old Carbon Black. The vintage look and feel of the new Carbon is exactly what I was looking for! The contrasting and distressed look of the new pigskin lining in tobacco gives it a really unique character. To make the long story short, I was satisfied with the bag. Satisfied… but not happy.

[​IMG]

What I like:

• The quality and craftsmanship, especially stitching. Can’t imagine it can be any better!
    • Top quality leather, including the new pigskin lining

What I don’t really like:

• The size. I wish there was an intermediate size of 15” (or even 15.5”) , in which case the present Medium would become Small (in fact, it is small), then Medium in 15” (or 15.5”) and Large in 17”.

• Maybe there is a reasonable justification for the external rear pocket to be reinforced with the pigskin lining, but for now I cannot understand why it was added there. The same pocket on my Classic Briefcase (which was supposedly designed to withstand more sever structural / mechanical loads) does not have any lining and it doesn’t seem it would benefit from having it. Apart from extra weight, it has a price tag…

[​IMG]

• The large internal pocket is made of the same pigskin used for the lining. Whilst I find the look and feel of the new pigskin perfect for the lining, I am skeptical about its suitability for the pocket in this bag. Yes, I know that pigskin is the second strongest hide (second after kangaroo). And yet, it feels too soft and too thin to survive 100 years without serious damage (hope I’m wrong). This pocket seems to be the only element in the bag which in a way diminishes its ruggedness.

[​IMG]

• The price. There hadn't been a single moment of hesitation when I was buying the Classic Briefcase, but I find the current price tag for the Medium Thin Briefcase somewhat on a high side.

What I really don’ like:

• I find the reinforcing metal plate under the handle far too long and excessively wide. I want to believe that it was designed this way in order to preserve the shape of the bag, and not to carry heavy loads since not much can fit in it anyway. The wide and long plate does keep the upper part of the bag in good shape. But the shape is so good that I don’t like it…

[​IMG]

I tried to accelerate the braking in of the new bag by crumpling and twisting the leather and pretty soon was satisfied with the results except for the top part where the metal plate is located. As you can see on one of the photo below, whilst the body of the bag has obtained that creasy and floppy look, the top remains flat and not at all in harmony with the rest of the bag. Besides, the edges of the plate are clearly visible. A narrower and shorter plate similar to the one used in Classic Briefcase could possibly permit a more even aging of the entire Thin Briefcase, in all its parts, not mentioning the fact that it would reduce the weight (and cost). Otherwise, after just a few years you may have a bag with a very young brand new looking top and extremely old body (doesn’t seem to be a nice contrast.

[​IMG]

• After about 5 minutes of crumpling and twisting the leather I noticed that the pigskin lining on the main flap of the bag has detached from the main leather and it now forms “bubbles” when you bend it in some places (see the photo). Looks like glue used to bond the lining with the leather hasn’t been strong enough to withstand just 5 minutes of “endurance test”. What about 100 years? I surely do not want to have a bubbly pocket inside the flap formed by the lining fully detached from the leather and kept in place by a few rivets and double stitching on the perimeter.

[​IMG]

• The handle. It looks nice, it’s lightweight, but it feels terrible when you carry the bag even with only a few pounds of weight in it. Actually, I find it difficult to carry it in one hand for more then 2-3 minutes. Compared to a very comfortable handle on the Classic Briefcase which has a roundish shape, the handle on the Thin Briefcase is flat and wide. The ribs of the handle are extremely rigid making it difficult to embrace it for a comfortable grip.

[​IMG]

• Last but not list, I find the numerous D-rings excessive if not unnecessary for this bag (not a new observation, though). Of course, it is a matter of personal preferences and needs. For me, I knew I would never wear the bag as a backpack and as such, removed them all (except for the two side D-rings used to attach the shoulder strap). This allowed to save 147 grams of weight (and could have saved some cost) and made the briefcase look more streamlined and lighter (both physically and visually).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of the shoulder strap, I don’t use it for this bag. Instead, I have converted it into an elegant 1.25” Saddleback Leather Infinity Belt in a universal size of 35” to 1” (you will understand why I called it “Infinity” if you count the number of holes in it). Should I want to convert it back into the shoulder strap, it will take less than 5 minutes to do it: unscrew the pins -> swap the buckle with a snap -> screw the pins back. The 1.25” Infinity Belt is a perfect companion for the bag.

[​IMG]
    Infinity Belt (on top) and Tow Belt (below)

[​IMG]
    Do I regret that I bought the Thin Briefcase? No, not at all! I enjoy using this bag, together with its new side product: the SBL Infinity Belt.

Sorry for the long review, I hope you find it useful.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

I just received my medium satchel today. Now my satchels set is complete.

[​IMG]

Here is two photo's of the medium with MBA 13 inside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Saddleback Leather

Mr VEV - Welcome to Saddleback on the Style Forum side! Thanks for the detailed review and pictures, I'm sure others will find it quite helpful. I'm glad that you like your new Thin Briefcase for the most part. Some people really like the more streamlined, thin handle on it, and others like yourself don't. Hopefully it will become more comfortable for you in time. You're right, the pigskin really shouldn't be bubbling up like that. Would you please email the information about that happening along with the picture to ihaveaquestion@saddlebackleather.com so we can check it out?

MrM - Glad your Briefcase is getting dried out. You have a perfect collection now, with each Satchel size you need depending on a given day's activities. Sweet!

~Susan~

1 person likes this.
  9. chev4x4

chev4x4 Senior member

A bit small for the 13", I guess.

10. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

Yup a bit small but it can fit. Somebody asked last time. An option for those who wanted medium size instead of a large.

11. chev4x4

chev4x4 Senior member

Nice brief review you put on the youtube! I really think Dave should redimension the medium satchel. It can't fit a 13" air, a regulate 1" binder or notebook nicely.

Small for 10" or less
    Medium for 13" or less
    Large for 15.4" or less

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

I just received my small notepad holder in tobacco. This will fit nicely in my new medium dcb satchel. Here is the colour comparison with the previous tobacco brown. The oldest of the bunch is the big wallet which has a nice patina, then the small satchel, then the MBA 13 sleeve and lastly the notepad holder.

I am very happy and not surprised with the colour which is a nice shade and tobacco is known to be a wild colour. It will age and patina nicely as I use it more and more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  13. Saddleback Leather

chev4x4 - Good idea, I'll definitely pass it along.

MrM - Great side by side comparison of the Tobacco color and how it can vary. You pegged it perfectly saying it is a "wild" color. Then you have your Chestnut to help tame it! ;)

~Susan~

14. djst

djst Well-Known Member

Wow, I love the look of that bag without all the D-rings! I'm impressed that you "dared" to remove them since it's a one-way modification. I'd love to do it on my satchel too but I'm too afraid I'd regret it at some point in the future. It sure looks sleek without them! I do see what you mean with the excessive metal plate under the handle, I don't know why they made it that big on this particular bag, it's much more subtle on the round satchel. Your bag still looks gorgeous though.

Thanks for the thorough review and photos!

15. djst

djst Well-Known Member

I'd be more interested in the medium satchel if it weren't so square shaped. The large is the only size that has nice satchel-like proportions, the other two look more like purses because of their different proportions (not because they're smaller). It's a shame, because the medium would have been a perfect choice for even a 13" MBP if it were only half an inch wider, which would make the proportions look way better too.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  16. Mr VEV

Mr VEV Member

Thank you, Susan. I'll send a note to ihaveaquestion@saddlebackleather.com and see what can be done. Actually, I have the same problem with my Classic Briefcase: after about 7-8 months of daily use the lining on the sides of the main flap has also started bubbling up. Interestingly, there is no any issue with the lining on the flap of my front pocket backpack, it is holding very well and there are no signs of any bubbles.

17. Mr VEV

Mr VEV Member

Hi there, does anyone by any chance have a strap from the Leather Pouch in Chestnut for sale, just the strap?

18. chev4x4

chev4x4 Senior member

I guess the medium satchel was constructed to fit a 12" G4. And it hasn't been re-dimensioned since.

[​IMG]

19. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

My treasure so far.

Chestnuts are the medium classic briefcase, large round satchel, mba 13 sleeve, ipad mini sleeve, opad mini case, iphone 5 sleeve and the big wallet. Dark coffee are the medium round satchel and the long trifold wallet. The tobacco brown are the small round satchel, mba 13 sleeve and the big wallet. The new tobacco is the small notepad holder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Saddleback Leather

djst - I'll pass your idea about the 1/2" increase on to Dave, it's a good one.

MrVEV - We sell the Pouch strap alone for $38 plus shipping. Just contact customer service and they can get you all fixed up.

chev4x4 - You're probably right!!

MrM - You have quite the collection! Did I ever tell you that I'm the founding member of Saddleback Leather Anonymous?!

~Susan~

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.