1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Saddleback Leather Bags

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Asch, May 11, 2007.

1. kidtwist91

kidtwist91 Well-Known Member

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/cat...-Thin-Chestnut Does anyone have any experience or real life photos of the thin briefcase?
    It must be very new, I don't remember seeing it before. I like it -- it seems more structured than most Saddlebacks, which has a place, I think. ~ H

3. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/cat...-Thin-Chestnut

Does anyone have any experience or real life photos of the thin briefcase?

Yeah that's definitely new, looks amazing though. Too many leathers that I want to buy these days...

4. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I bought my wife the large satchel in Chestnut brown as an early Christmas present. She is thrilled with the bag. Her coworkers have already asked her where she got it and are checking them out for themselves. Now I am envious. My puny Fossil messenger, which up to this point I thought looked great as it was just starting to get a rally nice patina, looks like a child's plaything in comparison. [​IMG]

5. Saddleback Leather

Saddleback Leather Senior member

My "leather" just arrived in the mail today and I thought I'd contribute a few thoughts since I came upon this forum while googling for reviews on Saddleback's products. I got the medium 14" briefcase in chestnut. Let me begin by saying I'm female. I know these products are supposed to cater more to the male audience since they're advertised as rugged and indestructable and for the man who's looking to unleash his inner Indiana Jones but I thought the design looked gorgeous and I've been searching for an all-in-one bag for so long so I figured I'd give this a shot. It also reminds me of those vintage British briefcases, especially the looping straps which you can use to hold down an umbrella or a jacket. The leather is very thick and the construction is solid. The stitching was consistent and overall everything seemed to live up to the quality promised. The shoulder strap is especially "stiff" and "strong" but I'm hoping that with use, it'll soften up and mold to my body. I'm about 5'3 and on the skinny side and the 14" does look big on me but I decided to go with the medium over the small because I wanted to make sure it'll fit my 15" Macbook Pro. It does but probably not with a protective sleeve. No biggie since I'm going to step down to a 13" Macbook soon anyway and then everything will work out. Also, the briefcase does feel heavy even when empty, which worries me b/c with all my stuff in it, it feels like I'm carrying around a ton of bricks. This isn't particularly uplifting but I'm trying to convince myself that I simply need to break it in and get used to it. Plus, I think I'll be using it when I'm traveling as opposed to for everyday/office purposes. Because I wanted a bag that I won't be afraid to put down on the floor or let it get roughed up, which I would most certainly freak out over if it were my other designer bags. Also, I wanted to address the quality control issues other people seem to have. I ordered mine from Amazon soon after I got sucked in by all the fantastic testimontials on Saddleback's official website. I read two more in-depth reviews - one from Gadgeteer and another from MobilitySite and didn't actually take the time to read the comments so I didn't see all the negative reviews until a few days later, after I had already ordered. Then I FREAKED OUT. I was especially upset when I read all those comments about how the company tried to drum up enthusiasm for their products with "fake comments". I started to get buyer's remorse and was fully expecting to be delivered a crappy bag, with uneven buckles, poor stitching, sharp cuts in the leather, etc. and even mentally prepared myself for the annoying exchange process but then a perfect specimen showed up at my door and I was sooo relieved. So maybe I got really lucky? Anyway, it's still my first day with the bag so I'll have to see how it stands up after I really try it out tomorrow. :) Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
    Hey Everyone, My name is Jonathan, brother of Dave, the President of Saddleback. We're an affiliate on Style Forum in Men's Clothing and I participate on the forum as an official spokesmen for Saddleback. It's great to read all the feedback in this thread. We appreciate the compliments and the critiques. It helps us to continually make our products better. I just wanted to quickly address the "fake comments" controversy. When we first read the AAAC post, we didn't even know what shilling was or how forums really worked. Let me be clear, Saddleback does not shill and only did one time in the past. It was in 2007 on this forum. I didn't work for Saddleback at the time and the company only had about 3 employees. My brother shilled with the launch of our second or third product without knowing he was shilling. He was incredibly obvious, got blasted by members here and was promptly kicked off the forum. He learned his lesson the hard way and never did it again. Unfortunately, as a result, every time someone posts a lone positive comment in a thread about Saddleback, inevitably someone surfaces accusing that person of being a secret undercover Saddleback shiller. It's actually kind of amusing to read the posts of people trying to convince everyone they're not a shiller for Saddleback. I know shilling in a forum today is akin to being a secret communist in the U.S. in the 1950s. Please know we know that and don't shill. The quality of our products speak for themselves. With that out of the way, I'd like to invite you to join us on some other venues. We are constantly having contests, giveaways and promotions on different sites and here are a few places you can find out about them: http://www.facebook.com/saddlebackleather http://twitter.com/saddlebackbags http://community.artofmanliness.com/saddlebackbags http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...59#post2765459 Check out this contest on Ars Technica we're currently running. Deadline to enter is Dec 31st. http://arstechnica.com/staff/palatin...y-be-merry.ars Okay, sorry for interrupting the conversation. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! Cheers, Jonathan

6. ridders

ridders Active Member

Hi all,

I'm rev'ing up for the big purchase (med briefcase, dark coffee brown...I think)- just a couple questions: Can anyone comment on the 9 inch depth, i'm a bit concerned that's too deep for everyday commuting, Also, what's this traveler's cut I have seen mentioned...

Finally, are the products in the ebay store "first's"?

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Hi all,

I'm rev'ing up for the big purchase (med briefcase, dark coffee brown...I think)- just a couple questions: Can anyone comment on the 9 inch depth, i'm a bit concerned that's too deep for everyday commuting, Also, what's this traveler's cut I have seen mentioned...

Finally, are the products in the ebay store "first's"?

A 9 inch depth is good for papers and the like. It's definitely not too deep for daily commutes. The traveler's cut means the flap is a bit longer than normal. It's for people like me who over stuff everything. Finally everything is first run unless it specifically states otherwise.

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I've seen these bags talked about here or there and most people who have held them seem to complain that they are a little too heavy for their own good. Thick leather has a price, you know?

Bags like this are meant to be carried around all day, possible filled with items like your laptop. Every pound of weight savings helps. I'd be much more inclined to buy one if they offered a range of lighter bags made out of slightly thinner leather.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I've seen these bags talked about here or there and most people who have held them seem to complain that they are a little too heavy for their own good. Thick leather has a price, you know?

Well I'm not one of those people. All that thick top grain boot leather means it's going to take some serious abuse and it'll last more than a week or two.

10. Jr Mouse

Well I'm not one of those people. All that thick top grain boot leather means it's going to take some serious abuse and it'll last more than a week or two.

Ok first of all you can find quality leather bags that will last forever and are not made out of heavy thick "boot leather."

2nd of all, weight is an issue. Why do you think people pay a premium for thin and light laptops? They don't want to break their backs carrying heavy things around all day.

These bars look interesting, but again I would rather see the company expand into a 2nd line of bags designed with some weight saving in mind.

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Ok first of all you can find quality leather bags that will last forever and are not made out of heavy thick "boot leather."

2nd of all, weight is an issue. Why do you think people pay a premium for thin and light laptops? They don't want to break their backs carrying heavy things around all day.

These bars look interesting, but again I would rather see the company expand into a 2nd line of bags designed with some weight saving in mind.

These aren't laptops so the comparison really can't be made. What they are though is something you can put your laptop in and not worry about it wherever you end up. The whole story about these bags and why they are built like a tank can be found on Saddleback's website.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/33-quality

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/new...ers-to-leather

12. Jr Mouse

These aren't laptops so the comparison really can't be made. What they are though is something you can put your laptop in and not worry about it wherever you end up. The whole story about these bags and why they are built like a tank can be found on Saddleback's website. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/33-quality http://www.saddlebackleather.com/new...ers-to-leather
    I'm not going to go in circles on this with you. I am sure there are some people who don't mind having to carry around any amount of extra weight, but I am of the opinion that weight saving or lack of it is an issue with a bag meant to be used daily. While I don't have first hand experience holding one of these bags, I have seen more then a few complaints about how heavy they are online from people who have. So built like a tank or not, I would pass and look for something lighter and more practical for daily use. Peace.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

Bags like this are meant to be carried around all day, possible filled with items like your laptop. Every pound of weight savings helps. I'd be much more inclined to buy one if they offered a range of lighter bags made out of slightly thinner leather.

I think that you guys are talking at cross purposes. The Saddleback leather bags *are* heavy-duty. Very heavy-duty. I like them because of that. I also carry around 25 lbs+ on a regular basis, and "lightweight" is not really a considerably for me. However, if it is, there are better choices. For me, I like Krane bags - which use waxed cotton lined in suede. Tough - not as tough as Saddleback by a large degree - but also quite lightweight. There are tradeoffs. Just the way it is.

Cheers,

Fok.

14. Jr Mouse

I think that you guys are talking at cross purposes. The Saddleback leather bags *are* heavy-duty. Very heavy-duty. I like them because of that. I also carry around 25 lbs+ on a regular basis, and "lightweight" is not really a considerably for me. However, if it is, there are better choices. For me, I like Krane bags - which use waxed cotton lined in suede. Tough - not as tough as Saddleback by a large degree - but also quite lightweight. There are tradeoffs. Just the way it is.

Cheers,

Fok.

Yeah, everyone has their own taste and needs.

I'm a huge fan of the line of Krane bags I have seen. I'm waiting on them to come out with another messenger style bag large enough to hold a laptop and also have a handle on top. The current line is lacking the handle and it's something I need for daily use.

15. monarch0300

monarch0300 Active Member

Guys I have a pretty urgent question, I got one of the 14" bags for Christmas. Unfortunately, when the bag was purchased the person on the phone talked the wife into the 14" stating that the most returned product they sell is the 16" briefcase because everyone wants the 14". I am just about to buy a 17" laptop which is a reallllllly tight fit in the smaller one.

I'm in Canada and it will be a good $100 to ship this one back and get them to ship another. I'm 5'10 170lbs, 31 waist 40R sport coat (definitely a slim fit). Will the large bag be too big? Pls all input will be helpful.

16. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Just buy a netbook. Problem solved.

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

don't buy a 17" laptop you lunatic

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

Guys I have a pretty urgent question, I got one of the 14" bags for Christmas. Unfortunately, when the bag was purchased the person on the phone talked the wife into the 14" stating that the most returned product they sell is the 16" briefcase because everyone wants the 14". I am just about to buy a 17" laptop which is a reallllllly tight fit in the smaller one. I'm in Canada and it will be a good $100 to ship this one back and get them to ship another. I'm 5'10 170lbs, 31 waist 40R sport coat (definitely a slim fit). Will the large bag be too big? Pls all input will be helpful.
    Bags aren't suits. They aren't too small or too big, within reason. Personally, I think that a 17" laptop is overkill.

19. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

who buys a 17 in lap top.... you don't get better screen resolution and all you get is poor battery life...

thats your main problem.

also people use laptops for the wrong reasons these days. Laptops were always and always will be netbooks and should never be used for any other reason. Ask anyone that actually knows about computers. If he says otherwise he doesn't know about computers.

20. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

For those of you who have had your bags for greater than 1 year, how are they holding up? Any evolution pics?

I've been seriously considering one of these bags. First bag I've seriously considered that wasn't specifically designed for a woman. [​IMG]