Saddle shoes (or what to wear with seersucker suit)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dorejam24, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dorejam24

dorejam24 Member

I just picked up a seersucker suit (in standard blue/white), and now I need to grab some shoes to go along. I know white bucks are traditional, but I was thinking of a different look.

Would it be just atrocious to wear these with it?

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-seba...ede-p_id217366

Long time listener, first time caller. Don't let anyone slow your roll fellas - it's the Lord's work you're doing here.
    [​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

If you don't like white bucks then get dirty bucks, same color as the suede above but with no saddle.

Tan calf also works well.

3. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I's wear those with a seersucker suit. I'm actually wearing a similar pair right now. if you plan on wearing saddle shoes with any frequency, you might want to splurge on a nicer pair, but those are solid beaters.

4. dorejam24

dorejam24 Member

Agreed, but I can't see these getting worn more than 5-10 times annually. That's why I was thinking it would be okay to violate my personal policies and get these cheapies. $100 with promo code.

I like that these have a dressier sole than the typical hard red rubber that you see on many of the saddles at this price point.

5. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I actually like the brick sole. It's rakish.

6. hardline_42

hardline_42 Member

Saddle shoes would go well with seersucker, IMO. I'm not a fan of the Sebagos you posted, but a more traditional saddle oxford with a red sole in nubuck/calf would be nice. You could do the tan/brown combo or even the navy/taupe. If you're looking at Sebago price/quality, take a look at the J&M Brennan, the new Bass Brockton and Nordstrom's 1901 line of saddles and bucks.

7. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

You could also wear white calf oxfords, or brown/white spectators (but the brown shouldn't be too dark).

8. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

I've seen several pairs of white suede wingtips that have caught my eye lately. They would look good.

Saddle shoes are a great option, though. I hear you on the price, too. I am a big fan of saddles, but for the amount I wear them, Cole Haan is the right price/quality ratio for me. (I know thats considered blasphemy here)

9. dorejam24

dorejam24 Member

Thanks for the input. Following up on hardline's recommendation, and I came across these Cole Haan's on the nordstrom site. I think this shoe "pops" a little harder than the Sebagos. You can't tell from the thumb, but the white is textured. May be hell keeping them clean, but I'll live. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-haa...esultback=1858
    [​IMG]

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

11. hardline_42

hardline_42 Member

Thanks for the input. Following up on hardline's recommendation, and I came across these Cole Haan's on the nordstrom site. I think this shoe "pops" a little harder than the Sebagos. You can't tell from the thumb, but the white is textured. May be hell keeping them clean, but I'll live.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-haa...esultback=1858

Something is weird about the description on those shoes. It says "nubuck and suede upper" but the upper is clearly woven (either linen or canvas) and the saddle is neither nubuck nor suede. In any case, they're nice looking shoes. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the shoes spotless any more than I would worry about keeping a seersucker suit from wrinkling. They're both on the casual end of the spectrum and look better with a little use/abuse.

12. dorejam24

dorejam24 Member

Brilliant. I'm adding this to my arsenal of useless information that I like to drop on folks at bars to help maintain my reputation as a know-it-all asshole.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Thank you Vox for this information. Much appreciated.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

15. Renton

Renton Senior member

Brilliant. I'm adding this to my arsenal of useless information that I like to drop on folks at bars to help maintain my reputation as a know-it-all asshole.

and in which Jackson bars can you be found wielding your arsenal of useless information?