Saddest day in your sartorial life

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 16, 2011.

1. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

i remember on another website there was a thread about some guys granpa washing his jeans? was it khoiphan92?

my mom washed a raf simons jacket ("very expensive" according to Mr. DINK) and destroyed it.

This is too funny, I can only imagine some hipster kid beating up his mom for washing his raw denim.

Go to RL outlet, find 75% off sale rack Blue label made in italy (suits 250, sport coats 100-200). Every freaking size but 46R (theres no RL flagship store anywhere close to here)

Get home and realize at some point in my day my pants had split.

And you didn't buy up all that shit and flip it on ebay? Would've been the best day.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Hahahaha

I was being 100% serious.

3. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I was being 100% serious.

Spoo, didn't you say you worked in the fashion industry? [​IMG]

4. Raralith

Raralith Senior member

One of the first suits I bought, I forgot from where but it was a tan poplin for a summer suit, and I brought it to my old tailor. The tailor was an older Italian fellow (tailor A), and his partner was an even older Italian fellow (tailor B). Well, I come in and say my usual pleasantries (hello, how are you, etc...), they respond with their usual pleasantries (welcome back, I am good, how are you, etc...), and I get down to business with tailor A. Well, the shirt I was wearing that day was a bit short in the sleeves, but I didn't know any better back than. I did know though that I should show some cuff so I put on the jacket and told him I want 1/8" cuff showing, he measures each arm/hand, and pins them at the right length. After he does this, he takes a huge double take and points out that the overall jacket sleeves will be too short due to the already short shirt sleeves, but I told him it was fine and just to do it. I than saw the look in his face, the "oh shit, I don't really want to do this, it's going to look fucking terrible and I'm sure he'll blame it on me after he tries it on later." He tells me again, it's too short, your shirt sleeves are too short so when you wear any other shirt, you'll have like an inch or more of cuff showing. I told him it's fine, please just do it. He just stares at me and I'm sure he's repeating the same thing in his mind again. Tailor B, who has been watching this whole time, finally starts speaking in what I assume is Italian and both tailors begin to frantically argue, and based off of their hand gestures, I assume the following conversation as follows: Tailor A "this is dumb, he's obviously an idiot and doesn't know what he is asking for." Tailor B "Jesus, just do it, he's the comstomer, he's the one that will be wearing it even if he looks like an ass." Back and forth, it went on literally for a good two minutes while I stood there. Finally, it looks like Tailor A gives in, says "no problem, next week is good?" I come back next week, wearing a different shirt with a more "correct" sleeve lenght. We both say our pleasantries, he gets the coat, and tailor B stops what he is doing and just smirks. I put on the coat, more than an inch of cuff is show, I see tailor A obviously cringe, I open my mouth and he knows he's going to be redoing this, but I don't know any better and I just say, "looks good!" I wore it once, and I had to fight my shirt sleeves the whole day since I didn't know why I was showing so much cuff, and at the end of the summer, I gave the suit to the Salvation Army.

As for the tailor, he's my old tailor because I moved and while he isn't too far, there's a slightly better tailor probably 2 blocks away from me so I go to her instead.

5. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Every day I think about how I spent $900 on two Costume National suits that didn't fit and couldnt sell and gave away.

CNC or runway/Homme?

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

2nd saddest day ever was when my thrifted shell longwings, which I didn't realize were dried out, cracked on me.

Only exceeded by the day that my second pair of shell longwings, on which I had put about a gallon of Renovateur, DID THE SAME THING.

7. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

I had a beautiful pair of Varvatos oxfords, I picked them up off this site for under 100 bucks. When moving back to University, my Dad thew them in with my hockey gear, destroying them....

8. Sartorial1

Sartorial1 Senior member

The saddest,
    was the day my cutter died.
    2nd Saddest,
    the day Lord's closed.

9. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

...in the days when I was smoking in my car, I dropped some cigarette ashes on my new(er) Brioni suit...first on my lapel and then on my seat...both left ugly burn holes and I had to trash the suit

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

...in the days when I was smoking in my car, I dropped some cigarette ashes on my new(er) Brioni suit...first on my lapel and then on my seat...both left ugly burn holes and I had to trash the suit

Did you quit after that?

It is a better and more powerful incentive than the pictures of diseased lungs on the packs.

11. 69clyde

69clyde Senior member

The day I was smoking in my car and thumped my smoke out the window only to find this displeasing burn around my left breast. I looked down and realizes my cig had come to rest on my new Paul Smith sport coat...burned thru the coat, my shirt and my undershirt. Sadness....I think that was mother telling me not to thump butts on her, don't do that anymore, still, the sadness....

12. Sartorial1

Sartorial1 Senior member

The day I was smoking in my car and thumped my smoke out the window only to find this displeasing burn around my left breast. I looked down and realizes my cig had come to rest on my new Paul Smith sport coat...burned thru the coat, my shirt and my undershirt. Sadness....I think that was mother telling me not to thump butts on her, don't do that anymore, still, the sadness....
    Paul Smith?
    That cigarette was doing you a favor.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

What was the saddest day in your sartorial life?

Mine was when Hedi Slimane left Dior Homme. [​IMG]

Reading this nonsense.

14. kellgy

kellgy Senior member

Just a few weeks ago after discovering this site . . . the the sinking feeling that none of my clothes really fit or are selected for style. Now onto my shoes. Does anyone have any Wellbutrin?

15. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Paul Smith?
    That cigarette was doing you a favor.

[​IMG]