• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sad Footnote in Fashion - Mr. Blackwell RIP

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
1,758

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
6,714
Reaction score
163
I wonder if anyone will critique his burial outfit?
 

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
6,471
Reaction score
82
Now we enter The Wilderness.
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by edmorel
Interestingly enough, a Mr. Blackwell type poster would be ridiculed and run out of town on this or any of the clothing forums yet you could make the case that he is the type of poster that would be most helpful to us all.

Not suer I find personal insults devoid of any real fashion advice actually helpful.
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,923
Reaction score
3,510
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Not suer I find personal insults devoid of any real fashion advice actually helpful.


Not sure I see which of his comments were personal insults, if you read the article he even mentions that he was not attacking these celebs, just their clothing/designers. 99% of the comments on the board in relation to what people are wearing are positive, and I think that is rather generous.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Actually, Film Noir and Manton are starting a Siskel and Ebert-ish fashion critique on E! soon.



 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by edmorel
Not sure I see which of his comments were personal insults, if you read the article he even mentions that he was not attacking these celebs, just their clothing/designers. 99% of the comments on the board in relation to what people are wearing are positive, and I think that is rather generous.

Understood- I was really get at "insults" being accepted as "criticism". Blackwell was critical but I don't find him a true critic in the classic mold as, say, defined by the likes of Willa Cather etc. but rather was just opinion.

To be fair- pulling his one-liners out exacerbates what I am pointing at; and that's not really fair to him.
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,923
Reaction score
3,510
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Understood- I was really get at "insults" being accepted as "criticism". Blackwell was critical but I don't find him a true critic in the classic mold as, say, defined by the likes of Willa Cather etc. but rather was just opinion.

To be fair- pulling his one-liners out exacerbates what I am pointing at; and that's not really fair to him.


And also I meant a "Mr. Blackwell" type poster more in a movie critic type of role rather than a one-line jokester like Mr. Blackwell was often seen as. Maybe RJmanbearpig will take on that role for the forum.
 

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
1,974
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by mack11211
Now we enter The Wilderness.
RJmanbearpig dwells there. In its foyer.

Originally Posted by dopey
No. We have Bill Cunningham.
Mr. Blackwell would et Bill Cunningham for breakfast, and it would disagree with him.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Actually, Film Noir and Manton are starting a Siskel and Ebert-ish fashion critique on E! soon.
Medved and Kael-like, maybe.

Originally Posted by edmorel
Interestingly enough, a Mr. Blackwell type poster would be ridiculed and run out of town on this or any of the clothing forums yet you could make the case that he is the type of poster that would be most helpful to us all.
I think FNB would beg to differ.

Originally Posted by edmorel
And also I meant a "Mr. Blackwell" type poster more in a movie critic type of role rather than a one-line jokester like Mr. Blackwell was often seen as. Maybe RJmanbearpig will take on that role for the forum.
RJman came from snark. I come from pain.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 81 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 160 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 79 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 41 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 30 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.7%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 1.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.7%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 28 5.8%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,582
Messages
9,201,131
Members
193,201
Latest member
tyheuhhrow

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top