1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sacramento

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bradford, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Thanks - the shopping doesn't really bother me as I seem to buy almost everything online these days anyway.

Plus, if I really need brick & mortar, there's great shopping in the Bay Area right?

2. redicqlusred

redicqlusred New Member

This may be a stretch, but I'm wondering if anyone on this thread knows a place like Mr. Ned in NYC that is a highly rated, but generally affordable bespoke tailor out here in the Sacramento area. I would consider going to SF if there was a good place anyone knew about. I have been to Navin's website a number of times and walked in once, and just didn't get the feeling it was the kind of place I was looking for.

Any comments would be welcomed.

3. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

Older thread, but as a lifelong resident I figured I could throw in my two cents.

Yes, the best thing about Sacramento is it's proximity to other cities. Napa is 75 minutes away, SF less than two hours. They've been trying to revitalize downtown for years, but it's never really taken off, though there are some stately homes nearby and a gaggle of good restaurants.

As for shopping, the high-end centers around the Pavillions shopping center on Fair Oaks Blvd. They have the aforementioned Julius, which stocks Zegna, Etro, Dolce & Gabbana, a smidge of Cucinelli, with Armani Collezioni (but no Emporio or Giorgio) the cheapest line they carry. The Ralph Lauren store is owned by the same family as Julius and carries the full line of Polo/Black Label/ Purple Label. Sales for both occur bi-annually and first cut is 40% (largest discount I've seen is 70%). There's also a shoe store that sells Cole Haan along with the more obscure Italian brands (Mezlan, Baldinini).

Arden Fair Mall is decent; the Nordstrom probably has the best shoe selection in the city, with fashion brands like Prada, Gucci, and Ferragamo alongside the stodgier labels like Mephisto. Clothing selection is typical Nordstrom fare, with Facconable, Canali, and the like. "Younger" sportswear has a mall aesthetic and tops out at the Lacoste/Burberry level. AF also has Gap and J. Crew, along with Armani Exchange and Lucky Brand if you like that sort of thing.

The Roseville Galleria is newer and currently expanding, but the mall reeks of nouveau riche desperation and I personally avoid the place like the plague. The only reason to go there would be the Vuitton (which carries men's shoes) and maybe the Burberry when it opens in the fall.

4. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

I heard an NBA player once say (I think it was Sir Charles) that Sacramento was the worst city in the NBA. They couldnt even go and get a sandwich after the games, let alone some pussy.

5. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

The Roseville Galleria is newer and currently expanding, but the mall reeks of nouveau riche desperation and I personally avoid the place like the plague. The only reason to go there would be the Vuitton (which carries men's shoes) and maybe the Burberry when it opens in the fall.
    I also like the Galleria for Crate and Barrel and maybe the new Lacoste store. Other than that, Arden Fair has a much better J Crew. The J Crew and Nordstrom at Galleria are a huge disappointment. There is a West Elm at the new shopping center across the street, other than that, the whole new complex reminds me of an outlet strip and I'll never venture there again. I just went to the H&M yesterday and they actually have menswear now. I picked up a linen suit for $90. I was surprised.

6. DesignerValet

Other than that, Arden Fair has a much better J Crew. The J Crew and Nordstrom at Galleria are a huge disappointment.

That J. Crew is appalling; the actual store space is much larger and more "upscale" feeling but the merchandise is seriously lacking. I bought a cardigan on sale there once and went back two months later and they still had it at the same sale price, despite the fact that Arden had already marked it down another 40%.

I just went to the H&M yesterday and they actually have menswear now. I picked up a linen suit for $90. I was surprised.

I bought a couple sweatshirt there a while back; in typical H&M fashion, one ripped the first week I wore it. I think they're actually supposed to open a seperate H&M men's store some time in the future though.

I'm actually most excited by the new Tiffany that's opening- I'm a fan of their simple men's sterling jewelry.

7. zubin

zubin Senior member

my uncle owns some property in Sac....mostly apartments and townhouses

lemme know if you need a spot!

8. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

We've been here about 1 1/2 weeks now. City seems nice although between getting the apartment together and starting the new job really haven't had that much time to look around. I'm taking the Gold Line to work everyday so that's fun.

Went out to Folsom yesterday and took the chance to drive by the outlets. Looks pretty typical.

So far my only comment on the shopping is that the Macy's Men's Shop Downtown isn't all that exciting - although since its literally right next door to my office building, it might do in a pinch.

Turns out summer dress code is no coats or ties from Memorial Day to Labor Day, so no need to dress up that much yet.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I worked there it was coat & tie all year. Nothing quite like a coat & tie when it's 110. But at least it's dry heat!

10. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

When I worked there it was coat & tie all year. Nothing quite like a coat & tie when it's 110. But at least it's dry heat!

I get the sense the capitol might still be that way. Apparently its recommended to have a jacket and tie available if you have to head into a meeting with legislators or the head of some agency. Luckily, I don't think I'm anywhere near that level yet although I have worn a jacket each day. It was in the 70's this past week so actually a little chilly being from Phoenix [​IMG]

11. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

^^ FYI - They cleared the tents out back in April when my wife and I were here looking at apartments.

12. DesignerValet

So far my only comment on the shopping is that the Macy's Men's Shop Downtown isn't all that exciting - although since its literally right next door to my office building, it might do in a pinch.

If you think that's bad, try the Macy's on Sunrise in Citrus Heights- there's literally NOTHING you'd even consider buying. And as luck would have it it's by far the closest one to my house. The one at Arden Fair is probably the best of the four or five in the region.

btw, I'd drop by Julius and Polo RL in Pavillions; they're currently having their 40-50% off spring merchandise sale.

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

any new shops in Sac?