• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sacque suits

ruzzi

Reaction score
http://www.sacquesuit.com/

thoughts?

anyone have any experiences with this label?

From reading a previous thread it seems that the construction is very good relative to the cost. I like the idea but on closer inspection of the pictures on the website the suit just seems a little too out of proportion. Ill have to try it on when im in nyc though.

The Grapist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruzzi
http://www.sacquesuit.com/

thoughts?

anyone have any experiences with this label?

From reading a previous thread it seems that the construction is very good relative to the cost. I like the idea but on closer inspection the suit just seems a little too out of proportion. Ill have to try it on when im in nyc though.

I've got a charcoal and a seersucker (just for the hell of it!) suit from Thomas (he's a really nice guy).

Whenever I wear the charcoal suit, I get tons of compliments. Great suit for the price, and slim fitting, which is perfect for a man with my type of build.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting, but since I'm tall and thin it would simply look like I couldn't find a suit in the proper size.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slimane for Dior without the ludicrous markup, I'd say. Although, I could do without the "whimsical" coloured collar melton and so forth. Maybe I'm getting old...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I actually like suits that are slightly short in the body and inseam, but not quite Browne-extreme. Seems like a nice enough label. However...
"Sacque Suit offers a new look in men's clothing - inspired by the short-jacketed suits of the 1800s and the crisp Mod looks of the 1960s, but ultimately presenting its own distinctly fresh vision."

I think they're not ready to admit that fashion repeats itself through those fancy words. :p

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I actually like suits that are slightly short in the body and inseam, but not quite Browne-extreme. Seems like a nice enough label. However...
"Sacque Suit offers a new look in men's clothing - inspired by the short-jacketed suits of the 1800s and the crisp Mod looks of the 1960s, but ultimately presenting its own distinctly fresh vision."

I think they're not ready to admit that fashion repeats itself through those fancy words. :p

I too like the look of a jacket (though not the inseam of a trouser) that is slightly short. Looks very Continental Cinema c. 1960's.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thomas cunningham is hard working guy with a good vision. Yes, Thom Browne without the nasty mark up.

He recently switched production of his suits to Portugal. The suit fits even better then before.

He has posted here from time to time about his suits.

Carl

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that tan poplin suit in the "about" of the website. Even though the lapels are slightly too narrow for my taste, I'd still consider it. It's just that I usually buy with an eye to a piece being as timeless as possible.

Shirtmaven: where were the suits made before Portugal?

moosy

Reaction score
What is the price range of these suits?

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
In the Retailers section, there's a pic of a guy wearing a 3B suit with only the top button buttoned. And for some reason, it really, really bothers me...

DoubleVented

Reaction score
To all:

Thank to Shirtmaven for telling me about the new thread. And thank you all for talking about my suits -- love 'em or hate 'em I'm really gratified for your feedback.

And hello to The Grapist -- I hope you're well. Thanks for your kind words as always.

Now, to answer some questions:

The price range is from $595 to $650, although next season I will be having some special fabrics that may reach to the $850 or even $900 price point.

For retailers, please check my Web site -- anyone in New York, please stop by Bloomingdale's Soho -- the staff there is fabulous, or Watts on Smith in Carol Gardens, Brooklyn -- another super store just voted one of the 10 best in New York by GQ.

If you let me know when you'll be there, I would be delighted to meet you and take you through the line myself.

False Prophet -- I agree on the undercollars -- they're not whimsical anymore, but they DO now feature the traditional extended topcollar, folded under and cross-stitched per the hand-made tradition!

The suits were originally made in the U.S., however, although it is possible to get very good high-priced suits made here -- ala Oxxford, Thom Browne, it is harder to get the right suit at my price point. Using the same fabrics and pattern, I was able to improve the construction, quality and make of the suit by moving production to Portugal. My old suits were good -- these are better.

And, yes, this is a fashion suit. I love and respect the techniques and proportions of traditional tailoring, and I spend much too much of my free time reading pattern books from the 1880s. But ultimately I do have a point of view that is a little faster than Saville Row, tho not as far out as some other designers.

Thank you all for you comments, and please feel free to email me at any time at [email protected].

very best,

t

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
That's a very good price for a nice suit. If I didn't have such an aversion to paying retail, I'd consider it. I may anyways, next time I'm in NYC.

DoubleVented

Reaction score
Dapper --

Did you know the original Sacque Suits in the 1880s were ONLY buttoned with their top-button? A smartly dressed man wouldn't be caught dead with his middle or lower button closed!

But times change . . .

DoubleVented

Reaction score
Dapper,

I'm looking for a good store in Washington -- do you happen to have any stores you like in your area?

Best,

t

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoubleVented
Dapper,

I'm looking for a good store in Washington -- do you happen to have any stores you like in your area?

Best,

t

We don't have much in the way of good, independent retailers. Tyson's Corner is a shopping mecca, but I can't think of anybody there that could sell your suits other than the usual Neiman's, Saks and Nordstroms. Mazza Gallerie is the other main shopping area around here, and probably a better bet. It's just as upscale (has a Tiffany's, Jimmy Choo, Chanel, Neiman's, Saks, etc.) but is more conveniently located for most shoppers. At Mazza Gallerie and the surrounding area, IMMSMC, they're actually converting a Hect's into a Bloomingdale's. I would think it would be worth a shot trying to convince that Bloomies to carry your suits, since you already have one Bloomies doing so. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, but other DC SF'ers, please chime in.

Oh yeah, thanks for the tip about buttoning 3B's back in the day. Interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics