• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Saabs?

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
1
Hey Guys,

Want to pick the collective wisdom of this board. I just sold my Volvo 1800e and need something quick, cheap, and cool to survive a year with me. I've become enamoured with an '89 Saab 900 (non-turbo) for sale in my area. It has a 4spd, cloth interior, and no to minimal rust. I was wondering if anyone knew more about these cars. What to watch out for, avalibility of parts, etc. Any resources would be greatly appreciated.

A.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,323
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Aaron
Hey Guys,

Want to pick the collective wisdom of this board. I just sold my Volvo 1800e and need something quick, cheap, and cool to survive a year with me. I've become enamoured with an '89 Saab 900 (non-turbo) for sale in my area. It has a 4spd, cloth interior, and no to minimal rust. I was wondering if anyone knew more about these cars. What to watch out for, avalibility of parts, etc. Any resources would be greatly appreciated.

A.


I'd say look for a local/online Saab forum/club. You will be able to get excellent advice that way!
 

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by LabelKing
But the Volvo 1800e is so much more stylish than the Saab 900.
This I know...but rampant rust and no time to properly overhaul the car meant a depreciating asset with buyers few and far between. I sold it to a young guy my age who is going to restore it with his father. I figure I'd rather it bring joy to someone else's life than have it languish in my garage.

Originally Posted by skalogre
I'd say look for a local/online Saab forum/club. You will be able to get excellent advice that way!
Already doing that, I figure this forum is such a vast collection of disparate knowledge I might as well try. Any takers?

A.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,323
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Aaron
This I know...but rampant rust and no time to properly overhaul the car meant a depreciating asset with buyers few and far between. I sold it to a young guy my age who is going to restore it with his father. I figure I'd rather it bring joy to someone else's life than have it languish in my garage.


Already doing that, I figure this forum is such a vast collection of disparate knowledge I might as well try. Any takers?

A.


I wish
- I cannot help you unfortunately
 

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
3,458
Reaction score
31
This really belongs in the Classic Car thread, but here's the ur-Saab, for your viewing pleasure:
 

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
18,835
Reaction score
555
I don't know if they ever got past the horrendous reliability problems they used to have. However, several years ago GM closed down the Saab design center, and now most or all Saabs are rebadged Subarus or Opels. Which sort of kills their nonconformist, creative allure for me.

Edit: Whoops, saw you're looking at a used Saab. I liked the older Saabs quite a bit. However, I've not heard good things about reliability, which affected their resale price quite a bit.
 

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by RJMan
Edit: Whoops, saw you're looking at a used Saab. I liked the older Saabs quite a bit. However, I've not heard good things about reliability, which affected their resale price quite a bit.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. For the great condition that this car appears to be in it sure is awful cheap, which makes me worry. However, I'm only going to be keeping it for 1yr-2yrs and I'll be doing a lot of travel during that time so I figure it won't get driven much. It's more cheap, interesting transport.

A.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

  • My style hasn't changed at all.

  • My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

  • I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

  • I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

  • I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
444,733
Messages
9,613,487
Members
200,957
Latest member
Gattonit11
Top