• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SA snobiness? Story for your holiday cheer

the_economist

Reaction score
So a few days ago I was in San Francisco on an informal outing with my wife for the day. She wanted to spend some time looking in a big fabric store, and I had a couple of hours to kill in the Union Square area, so armed with my newfound sartorial knowledge (but no money and dressed in jeans, Chucks, and a sweater over a t-shirt--typical for me in grad school, but I'm working on assembling a professional wardrobe as I'm preparing to interview for jobs next month), I headed straight for Neiman Marcus and the like, fully expecting to be ignored by the SAs, but hoping that I wouldn't encounter any outright rudeness.

Overall, it went as expected--I was mostly ignored, which is annoying, but hard not to understand given that any assumptions they might have made about me were almost certainly true. I fully intended to purchase the right dress shirt(s) and a tie or two if I found the right deal (and at Saks I came close, and the SA was very helpful), but a few times I had to outright admit when I was offered a $350 shirt that fit my description that it was way out of my price range.

One occasion though, I'll never forget. I walked into an exclusive boutique, a place I knew I couldn't afford a thing they had, but I had to go in and admire the wares that I had seen discussed here. I had a short conversation with the SA, who was quite nice, but I'm sure realized in short order that she wasn't going to make a sale with me. I admitted that I had a lot to buy and I couldn't start there but I still loved what they had, and she made the case for a timeless wardrobe of a few nice things rather than a lot of junk. I spotted a bowl of silk knots on the table, and I grabbed a pair, which I had been looking for, but I didn't ask about the price until later. When I remembered to ask, she said they were $15. I tried to get out of it without looking like a jackass, but I knew I couldn't drop 15 bucks on something I could pick up for $3 elsewhere. Chump change if you're buying their shirts, but I couldn't do it.

I browsed a bit more, and a few minutes later I walked out as she was helping an obviously well-heeled customer. As I left I turned back and gave her a smile and a wave. I don't know what it was; I must have either been quite credible as a future customer, or perhaps she was sympathetic to a nice guy that respected them and their time (maybe you get tired of rich guys that look down on you and poor guys that waste your time?), but as I was walking down the street, maybe half a block away, I hear her running to catch up with me. "Sir! I wanted to catch you before you got away!" she says. She holds out her hand and gives me a little bag with the cufflinks I had declined to buy. "Merry Christmas," she says, and turns around and headed back to the store.

I hope you all have a similarly pleasant encounter this season, but alas, I know these are few and far between, so I thought I'd share the goodwill.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow... that was really awesome!

I don't know that such a thing has ever happened to me.
smile.gif

izlat

Reaction score
LOL - it's not the gift of the magi but still nice to hear

Cheers

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. Pretty cool story.

Good luck in your interviews.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tear of joy is rolling down my cheek...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
nice story. Now abandon your wife for a little longer next time, and lead her to a small hotel so she can get her 15 bucks worth
smile.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You lucky bastard. Was she cute?

Bsquared

Reaction score
Nice. Post the name of the store. Perhaps someone here will go shop there given the level of customer service.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what if you tried on shoes then left?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads