• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SA claims cedar trees will damage shoes!?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in need of a new pair of shoe trees, so I stopped in a local store to pick up a pair. While I was there, the SA tried to convince me that cedar shoe trees are inferior to plastic because cedar absorbs too much moisture and can damage the leather. When I asked him where he'd heard this he stated he'd "read it in a magazine."

Given my understanding of shoe trees is that moisture absorption is exactly the point of cedar, this sounds patently ridiculous to me. That said, I'm curious as to whether anyone here has ever heard anything similar.

Note: At first I thought he was just trying to sell me plastic trees, but the store only sells cedar trees (which I didn't buy because they were overpriced), so that's definitely not the case.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief cedar trees do not absorb moisture. What store was this at btw

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Contrary to popular belief cedar trees do not absorb moisture. What store was this at btw

Really? Interesting. I suppose that makes the SA look even more ill informed!

It was JAB. I've never bought anything there, so I never completely understood the contempt that is directed at it by SF. Now I get it...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? Is it just an old wives' tale?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They do absorb. Just not as much as many people think.

Busa Dave

Reaction score

Sorry to tell you this but it does. If the cedar is properly dried then it will been -- working, cutting and burning it all of my life. If it has not been properly dried then it will take some time to work properly. The best cedar trees are the ones that are 10 years old or older.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cedar absorbs humidity. Humidity is moisture. That's one of the purposes of a cedar closet. Further, by recommending a plastic shoe tree the SP proved that he knew nothing! Plastic will repel the perspiration back into the liner of the shoe which will eventually break down the leather. The only time I recommend plastic trees is when you are traveling. They will keep the shoe from being crushed in packing and they are light. However, I wouldn't recommend using the plastic trees after a day of wear while on your trip.

The SP was giving wrong advice and, had the proper goods to sell you but balked. If you felt the price was to high for the cedar trees that's fine but at least he should know his business.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
They do absorb. Just not as much as many people think.

How do ones with finishing absorb?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
How do ones with finishing absorb?

Negligible to none, I would imagine.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, lemme see...for ***** and giggles.....
Unfinished/raw ceder will absorb some moisture.
Varnished/finished ceder will not absorb moisture much ofcourse.
Plastic/Metal will not absorb moisture at all.

None of the above is important as the primary purpose of the shoe tree is to maintain the shape of the shoe (Vamp/sole etc) once off the foot, not to absorb moisture.

Regards.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the SA at JAB is full of it.

Cedar trees have these virtues (correct me if I'm wrong):

They absolutely absorb moisture, thus drying the inside of the shoe. I would also speculate that a well-fitting tree with a raw surface creates a wicking action (Shamwow!) from the humidified leather of the inside of the shoe.

The trees are important in allowing the shoe to dry with as little deformation as possible. So if you want your shoes to air dry, then you're potentially risking the shoes to become stiffen with wrinkles from the day's wear.

Cedar oil is a natural antimicrobial. I looked up information on Ovid/Medline, which is a medical journal database. There are no good studies about cedar shoe trees and fungal infection, but the premise is still strong.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So the salesguy wants you to not buy their cedar shoe trees and get the plastics instead? And I wonder what magazine did he pick that idea from? TV Guide??

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they sell cedar trees at that location?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads