S&H Jodphurs - Leather Quality Comparison - ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Englandmj7, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

I have seen a few threads on Shipton & Heneage on the forum but my question is a little more specific. There are two quality types of the same Jodphurs on the site; a 'higher quality' calf leather one:

http://www.shipton-usa.com/erol.html#2126X1096

And a 'lesser' quality (simply deemed 'leather') one:

http://www.shipton-usa.com/erol.html#2126X575

I would like to purchase one of these and was wondering if you might be able to offer some distinction as to why the one might be worth $100 more than the other, and if the quality increase would warrant the price increase (or are they both just crap to start with?)? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

S&H usually keeps the original model name. by going to various websites, such as pediwear, you should easily figure out the provenance and go from there. in this case, they're both probably Alfred Sargent shoes, since AS has jodphurs with those names.

the distinction is based on the leather and material quality. the stitching may be better as well.

the AS Ascot retails for 195 GBP (165 without VAT) and the Childrey goes for 130 GBP (110 without VAT).

3. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Basically, I don't really know if the difference between calf leather and regular leather is worth the difference? Do they last longer? Polish better? Look better in person?

4. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Almost all of those things are true, except possibly longevity (and probably even that).

But the important thing is, Frank Slaughtery rules and that sig is f****ing hilarious.

[​IMG]

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Basically, I don't really know if the difference between calf leather and regular leather is worth the difference? Do they last longer? Polish better? Look better in person?

the cheaper leather probably corrected grain. the expensive stuff is probably full grain calf. i say probably, because i don't wear S&H or AS, so I don't really know what they use. afaik, the only major purchaser of AS branded shoes was bresch, and he hasn't been on this board for some time.