• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And I know I've brought this up with you before, but the same canopy cotton (or something with a similar weatherproof-ness) would be excellent in the field jacket...

When the field jacket next comes around, it's a surefire bet to be in that cloth!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am currently amidst a mild camera-related disaster, but have managed to procure for the time being a handful of photographs of our more recent garments being worn by a being of flesh and blood, rather than the usual wood and plastic variety.

peacoat-uniform-melton-tobacco-worn-2@2x.jpg
peacoat-uniform-melton-tobacco-worn-3@2x.jpg
v-neck-lambswool-bran-brown-worn-1@2x.jpg
field-shirt-uniform-melton-tobacco-worn-1@2x.jpg
chesterfield-woollen-bedford-cord-charcoal-worn-1@2x.jpg
v-neck-lambswool-bran-brown-worn-2@2x.jpg

More to come ... I hope.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That Tobacco melton peacoat though!

Online before the weekend, I hope.

It does work well in that cloth. The peacoat in dark navy and black is the classic, but in the lighter colours, you tend to see more of the shape and details.

10dence

Reaction score
The crewneck has been working overtime and is surprisingly versatile in different temperature ranges for something so thick. Most costly knitwear I've ever bought but I've had no regrets so far.
I don't usually buy the same thing in different colours but that blue one is in danger of getting a trip across the North Sea if it's still up by the end of the year. And to think that it was sort of an afterthought..

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The crewneck has been working overtime and is surprisingly versatile in different temperature ranges for something so thick. Most costly knitwear I've ever bought but I've had no regrets so far.
I don't usually buy the same thing in different colours but that blue one is in danger of getting a trip across the North Sea if it's still up by the end of the year. And to think that it was sort of an afterthought..

Great to hear!

I did stumble across one or two more of them at the workshop yesterday, so promptly listed them on the website.

And I'm already taking soundings for next year's colours. Seems people want darker ones.

ModWar

Reaction score
Great to hear!

I did stumble across one or two more of them at the workshop yesterday, so promptly listed them on the website.

And I'm already taking soundings for next year's colours. Seems people want darker ones.

+1 for darker ones. The direction you went with Molasses and Admiral blue last year was great.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
+1 for darker ones. The direction you went with Molasses and Admiral blue last year was great.

Noted. I think one or the other will return in similar (though not identical, if I can help it) form.

I've also been keen to revisit the very first colour we did, which was cool (as in colour temperature) green / grey — but the yarn supplier no longer offers those exact colours, and I find greens easier to get wrong than right.

ModWar

Reaction score
Noted. I think one or the other will return in similar (though not identical, if I can help it) form.

I've also been keen to revisit the very first colour we did, which was cool (as in colour temperature) green / grey — but the yarn supplier no longer offers those exact colours, and I find greens easier to get wrong than right.

Was it this colour? A good one indeed. I also recall a warm bisquit tone.

green-grey-lambswool-crew-neck-jumper-worn-1.jpg

I myself very much liked that very dark shade once utilized for the cardigan. Would suit the crewneck.
sb3-charcoal-chalk-stripe-worn-1.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's the crewneck, yes!

Funny — I was going to post that exact photograph. The same year we made a shawl-neck pullover in pale grey. There has been other crewnecks in biscuit / brown colours in the years since. Back then, there were four colours of yarn in each knit; now we use two, so there is less marbling a bit more uniformity of colour. This follows our choice of cloth, which used to be more speckled and "tweedy" but is now, in the whole, more uniform.

We've never made the crewneck in very dark grey, and you're right — that should and probably will be top of the list for next year.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could go for a SEH Kelly roll neck. I seem to remember a cool design you had with a thicker upper section and thinner lower section.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I could go for a SEH Kelly roll neck. I seem to remember a cool design you had with a thicker upper section and thinner lower section.

That we did, Patrick!

This is quite the trip down memory lane.

But we did do the gansey this year, which at the risk of exposing a lazy design process, is more or less identical with that thicker / thinner motif (hey — we're nothing if not consistent).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads