• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, I have a question. Would your offerings considered unisex? I probably grab a 1 size smaller duffle for my lady next year haha.

It's not out of the question, and she wouldn't be the first, but it's a masculine cut. I mean ... it is designed for the male body, top to bottom.

The shoulders are quite soft and less structured than on a traditional duffle coat, which will help with appearance and sizing, and so really it all comes down to personal style.

Oh, and the wrap will be the wrong way round. (Or the right way around, that is, from a man's perspective.)

I think a size XS would be good for maybe a size 12 or 14 in women's sizing, but in truth I am now completely out of my depth, so will stop right there. But if you'd like me to advise with sizing, we can always compare it to another coat or jacket that she owns.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Really nice. How would you compare both of the fabric you offer on your duffle ?

The Elysian is about twice as thick, twice as soft and strokeable, and is a luxurious type of material.

The melton hopsack is stupendously thick, too, but compared to the Elysian seems not so. It is more a durable, hard-wearing, weatherproof-seeming material. Again, this is all relative. Within the collection as a whole, and in the world of duffle coats at large, the melton hopsack is a very high-end, luxury material, with heaps of texture, character, and charm.

vivalavie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your dismay.

If 88cm is what you're used to, then yes -- you'll find the size M 0.6 inches / 1.5cm too snug.

And I think it would be too big a leap to size L ...

The adjusters / tabs will bring the size L down to around 34, true -- but, to be honest, I expect having to utilise them from the off, and of course taking into account eventual stretching of the waistband through wear, wouldn't be a good idea. They'd end up being too large.

Well, thank you for the reply. I'll check in now and then in case trousers between your current M and L sizes appear - a man can live in hope!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, thank you for the reply. I'll check in now and then in case trousers between your current M and L sizes appear - a man can live in hope!

Cheers.

We'd love to offer more sizes of trouser.

It would be better for customers, and in one sense would make my life easier.

Because we're a very small operation (there's two of us here) we can't very easily do it, however. Not in a way commercially viable, at least. The manpower of increasing the size range by 25% (or whatever the percentage would be) is one thing. But also, and more pertinently perhaps, is that we don't manufacture sufficient quantities to make efficient the cutting of, say, seven different sizes of trouser within one style. (The fewer sizes you cut, the higher your efficiency, both in cloth usage and in the prices a factory will charge. We might only make 16 pieces per style, and with that number, split across e.g. seven sizes, the factory would have us over a barrel and the price across the board would go up more than I feel personally comfortable.)

RozenKristal

Reaction score
For what it worth... I feel like i have bought the duffle one size larger than I should have lol. Prob gonna layer with jacket then @_@

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We're in the final stretch here at the factory, with the trench, tielocken, cooks jacket, and SB3 all at various stages of nigh-completion.

The tielocken is in the same woollen Bedford cord as the recent Chesterfield, only in a new biscuit colour which has become — I think because of how prominent the non-wale wales seem — my new favourite.

bedcord-biscuit-1@2x.jpg

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Got the duffle back from my tailor. It wore better than I expect. I can fit a denim jacket underneath, and of course without, a bit loose. But i guess duffle coat is another word for blanket, so I really quite satisfied, and the shorten sleeves helped a lot visually too :)

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered already earlier! I am a bit of a taller chap at 190cm, and my back is pretty long as well. I really love the look of your coats, especially the balmacaan, but sadly it seems a bit short to me in size L. Is it possible for a tailor to make the coat longer? I'd be looking for something like 5cm more. Thank you very much for your reply :)

10dence

Reaction score
Got the duffle back from my tailor. It wore better than I expect. I can fit a denim jacket underneath, and of course without, a bit loose. But i guess duffle coat is another word for blanket, so I really quite satisfied, and the shorten sleeves helped a lot visually too :)
True, if any outerwear let's you get away with an oversized fit it is the duffle coat.

Which fabric option did you go with?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered already earlier! I am a bit of a taller chap at 190cm, and my back is pretty long as well. I really love the look of your coats, especially the balmacaan, but sadly it seems a bit short to me in size L. Is it possible for a tailor to make the coat longer? I'd be looking for something like 5cm more. Thank you very much for your reply :)

Thanks for the question.

Hmmm ... it isn't really possible, no, to be honest. There's too much going on with the facing and the way the pockets work in that region to lengthen the body in anything approaching a tidy manner.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
True, if any outerwear let's you get away with an oversized fit it is the duffle coat.

Which fabric option did you go with?
I went with the navy melton wool one. I wear raw denim a lot so the indigo does rub off, plus the ruggish vibe of the melton kinda blend better to my service boots + flannel stuffs.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Thanks for the question.

Hmmm ... it isn't really possible, no, to be honest. There's too much going on with the facing and the way the pockets work in that region to lengthen the body in anything approaching a tidy manner.

Thank you for the prompt answer! What a shame, but I understand. I guess I have to buy the trench coat, then, considering it is much longer than the balmacaan. I don't know yet whether to buy the trench now in the wintertime in the upcoming wool or instead wait for the spring / autumn for the weatherproof ripstop instead (if it is coming back, not a huge fan of the darker cosmos colour available right now)... Hard choices, haha.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt answer! What a shame, but I understand. I guess I have to buy the trench coat, then, considering it is much longer than the balmacaan. I don't know yet whether to buy the trench now in the wintertime in the upcoming wool or instead wait for the spring / autumn for the weatherproof ripstop instead (if it is coming back, not a huge fan of the darker cosmos colour available right now)... Hard choices, haha.

Tricky!

Here are some photos I'm currently working on for the trench coat.

trench-coat-natte-tweed-charcoal-17.jpg
trench-coat-natte-tweed-charcoal-7.jpg
trench-coat-natte-tweed-charcoal-6.jpg
trench-coat-natte-tweed-charcoal-9.jpg
trench-coat-natte-tweed-charcoal-4.jpg

The cloth is known as natte tweed: a reproduction of an old-school type of material, woven in Yorkshire, and with the very sturdy, very resilient yarn of British sheep.

The other colour is dark navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads