• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am very intrigued by the corduroy trousers but am dismayed by the sizing, which jumps straight from 34' to 36'. I am used to trousers with an 88 cm waistband. I see there is a cinch designed into the trousers - would that make the 36' inch trousers wearable, or would they be far too big? Thanks for any help!

Sorry to hear of your dismay.

If 88cm is what you're used to, then yes -- you'll find the size M 0.6 inches / 1.5cm too snug.

And I think it would be too big a leap to size L ...

The adjusters / tabs will bring the size L down to around 34, true -- but, to be honest, I expect having to utilise them from the off, and of course taking into account eventual stretching of the waistband through wear, wouldn't be a good idea. They'd end up being too large.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am happy to report that, as expected, the 27oz navy melton peacoat from this season stylishly kept me warm in inclement weather even against a sharp windchill while I stood outside in the cold for a couple of hours. In fact, it was the 18oz denim that I was wearing that was the weak point in keeping out the cold.

Great news.

I've always been of a mind that a heavy, dense wool is better than most anything at keeping out the chill.

But crikey, man — a couple of hours? Keep yourself indoors!

gnu

Reaction score
Hi Paul, how is the fit of the Balmacaan? Is the body straight or does it flair out a bit towards the bottom hem? I'm looking at a size large. Thanks.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, how is the fit of the Balmacaan? Is the body straight or does it flair out a bit towards the bottom hem? I'm looking at a size large. Thanks.

It is straight up and down — cut like a very traditional English walking coat — but because there's the vent at the back, which is quite wide and deep, you can get a flared look.

This is the one from last year, which is half a size too small for the chap, and has since been given more room in the sleeve (especially in the upper).

So the same as this, but at least half a size roomier, is the intention and desired effect.

balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-worn-5@2x.jpg
balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-worn-6@2x.jpg

Does that help a little?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great news.

I've always been of a mind that a heavy, dense wool is better than most anything at keeping out the chill.

But crikey, man — a couple of hours? Keep yourself indoors!

Well, was at a football (soccer) match, child's playoff game so had to be out in cold. The kids were in worse shape in terms of warm clothing, but they at least were running (and they won).

Sitting in a cafe now by a large window with temperatures suddenly dropping today. Slowly got chilled so pulled the peacoat around me like a soft robe, indoors. I suppose they could turn the heat up, but I'm pretty happy nevertheless.

Photo on 11-1-19 at 9.28 AM #2.jpg

[This is meant to speak to diversity in temperature-range...plus the softness of the cloth].

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Balmacan and I'm curious about sizing. I'd think based on the measurements I'd be a size L -- I'm a 42 in regular sized jackets, 44 in slimmer jackets -- but I'm curious if the sizing is based on layering over a suit/a heavy sweater or not.

Thethrill

Reaction score
I picked up this SB3 recently and have been trying to figure out what to wear it with. Any input on the fit below? I was also thinking about wearing it with a white or light blue OCBD or a long sleeve polo. Also not sure if it would look better to have the bottom layer tucked or untucked

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Balmacan and I'm curious about sizing. I'd think based on the measurements I'd be a size L -- I'm a 42 in regular sized jackets, 44 in slimmer jackets -- but I'm curious if the sizing is based on layering over a suit/a heavy sweater or not.

Size L, I recommend, all the way.

We cut coats like the balmacaan (and trench, duffle coat, and tielocken) to accommodate "as standard" things like suits or heavy sweaters underneath, and the only reasons to deviate from your usual size is if you wish for a slim / oversized fit.

I hope that clears things up, but let me know if you're still unsure.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, was at a football (soccer) match, child's playoff game so had to be out in cold. The kids were in worse shape in terms of warm clothing, but they at least were running (and they won).

Sitting in a cafe now by a large window with temperatures suddenly dropping today. Slowly got chilled so pulled the peacoat around me like a soft robe, indoors. I suppose they could turn the heat up, but I'm pretty happy nevertheless.

View attachment 1270493

[This is meant to speak to diversity in temperature-range...plus the softness of the cloth].

Nothing better than seeing a coat being put through its paces!

Fantastic.

It still looks brand new, which is also hopefully testament to the bulletproof nature of Yorkshire woollens.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this SB3 recently and have been trying to figure out what to wear it with. Any input on the fit below? I was also thinking about wearing it with a white or light blue OCBD or a long sleeve polo. Also not sure if it would look better to have the bottom layer tucked or untucked
View attachment 1270557

Click this link to see the picture I'm talking about:

Same jacket, same elevator!

I think it looks great the way you have it and I would tuck the bottom layer if it is a shirt and not if it is a sweater or sweatshirt.

ninzer33

Reaction score
The new Chesterfield coats look great and am eyeing one up. Question though: is the collar substantial enough to be turned up? I love "popping the collar" on my coats in the winter.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The new Chesterfield coats look great and am eyeing one up. Question though: is the collar substantial enough to be turned up? I love "popping the collar" on my coats in the winter.

Oh yes, absolutely — it's not a collar that will wilt on you any time soon. The cloth is thick and there's plenty of structure to keep it stood up for as long as you so wish.

chesterfield-woollen-bedford-cord-imperial-blue-5@2x.jpg
chesterfield-woollen-bedford-cord-charcoal-5@2x.jpg

There is quite a distance between the collar and the first button is the only caveat.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I think you're on the right track there. Looks great.

I think I prefer the SB3 with something like a knitted crewneck, polo shirt, or v-neck underneath ...

sb3-jacket-worsted-grey-worn-4@2x.jpg

Untucked all the way, says I, at least with jeans.

If that's the corduroy one you have there, in the warm slate grey, then it's a good complement to other greys — lighter or darker — or anything on the blue spectrum, or ... well, it's a fairly neutral shade, to my mind, and is at home with anything subdued or earthy. That's my hunch, anyway, but we strive to offer things that can be adopted into any wardrobe; never like to be prescriptive, me.

And corduroy is a good bolster for outfits which are otherwise quite light on texture, so again — I think you're on the right Road already.

Thethrill

Reaction score
I think you're on the right track there. Looks great.

I think I prefer the SB3 with something like a knitted crewneck, polo shirt, or v-neck underneath ...

View attachment 1270814

Untucked all the way, says I, at least with jeans.

If that's the corduroy one you have there, in the warm slate grey, then it's a good complement to other greys — lighter or darker — or anything on the blue spectrum, or ... well, it's a fairly neutral shade, to my mind, and is at home with anything subdued or earthy. That's my hunch, anyway, but we strive to offer things that can be adopted into any wardrobe; never like to be prescriptive, me.

And corduroy is a good bolster for outfits which are otherwise quite light on texture, so again — I think you're on the right Road already.

Thank you for the reply. This thing feels great to wear, it is almost like warm armor, which is kind of a perfect thing for the weather we've been having in the midwest.

Yeah, I took inspiration from how you have it styled on the website, hence wearing it with simply a knit (although not as glorious as the one in your example). My SB3 is actually the brown corduroy, but it is hard to glean the color from the shoddy elevator picture. Either way, finding the right colors to pair it with isn't too big of an issue, I'm having more of a problem finding the right level of formality for the coat. I think I agree with pairing it with an untucked shirt, as Gerry does in the attached pic. I normally do not like to wear sportscoats with jeans, but this SB3 in corduroy I think is rugged enough to look natural with denim. I think it would also look good with a longsleeve polo or a rugby shirt. I will try it out and see how it goes.

Attachments

• tumblr_od9gh3LFmV1s5fve2o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_od9gh3LFmV1s5fve2o1_500.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 136

Thethrill

Reaction score
Click this link to see the picture I'm talking about:

Same jacket, same elevator!

I think it looks great the way you have it and I would tuck the bottom layer if it is a shirt and not if it is a sweater or sweatshirt.

Small world! I had to check to make sure we weren't the same person.

I'll try it out a few different ways and see how it goes. But looking through your posts there are some good examples. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads