• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can't decide what material I want... while I don't have a duffle coat yet, I do have both navy and camel toned outwear already.

There is one single duffle coat made in the lambswool Elysian in light grey.

But I can't remember which size it is.

Still, if that might take your fancy, do let me know, and I'll check first thing tomorrow at the factory.

Noah Fleming

Reaction score
Looking back at your previous fall clothing. Any chance you well be making more out of tweed? The tweet peacoat, blazer and trousers are particularly gorgeous

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looking back at your previous fall clothing. Any chance you well be making more out of tweed? The tweet peacoat, blazer and trousers are particularly gorgeous

Yep — the balmacaan is currently being finished off, and is made in some very good tweed from County Donegal.

You can see it at ...

and ...

I am particularly taken by the navy one. It has great depth of colour. The mid-grey is great, too, and a cloth we have used a couple of times before.

I photographed them both earlier today, and will be working over the next week to put them online.

The new trench will be made in a type of tweed, too, though more of a patterned woollen, technically, I suppose, than a tweed, which I tend to think of as a more dappled, textured, region-specific thing like Harris or Donegal. However, the cloth for the new trench has the thickness and handle of a tweed, but a more sober, mottled pattern. It comes in dark grey and dark navy. A dense, no-nonsense cloth, and quite smart in its own way.

The tielocken and Chesterfield are both made with a thick woollen, too, but more perhaps a flannel-type woollen than a tweed. It is known as Bedford cord, and we made the trench with it last year. You can see that one at https://www.sehkelly.com/shop/coats/trench-coat/trench-coat-in-woollen-bedford-cord-in-charcoal/. As an avowed corduroy nut, I love working with this type of material: it combines my love of wales with that of woollens.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of the crewneck today. Sadly, it's still 80 degrees where I live, so I may have to blast the air conditioning tomorrow to give it a test ride. This is truly an amazing sweater.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I took delivery of the crewneck today. Sadly, it's still 80 degrees where I live, so I may have to blast the air conditioning tomorrow to give it a test ride. This is truly an amazing sweater.

You can follow the spirit of the gent who told me yesterday of his new peacoat, "I wore it this morning while drinking coffee, indoors — like a little kid wearing his new Christmas pyjamas."

Glad you like it, sir.

Thibault S

Reaction score
Yep — the balmacaan is currently being finished off, and is made in some very good tweed from County Donegal.

You can see it at ...

and ...

I am particularly taken by the navy one. It has great depth of colour. The mid-grey is great, too, and a cloth we have used a couple of times before.

I photographed them both earlier today, and will be working over the next week to put them online.

The new trench will be made in a type of tweed, too, though more of a patterned woollen, technically, I suppose, than a tweed, which I tend to think of as a more dappled, textured, region-specific thing like Harris or Donegal. However, the cloth for the new trench has the thickness and handle of a tweed, but a more sober, mottled pattern. It comes in dark grey and dark navy. A dense, no-nonsense cloth, and quite smart in its own way.

The tielocken and Chesterfield are both made with a thick woollen, too, but more perhaps a flannel-type woollen than a tweed. It is known as Bedford cord, and we made the trench with it last year. You can see that one at https://www.sehkelly.com/shop/coats/trench-coat/trench-coat-in-woollen-bedford-cord-in-charcoal/. As an avowed corduroy nut, I love working with this type of material: it combines my love of wales with that of woollens.

Thank you for the update, Paul. I'm curious to see the final result of the navy one as well ;)

10dence

Reaction score
That bedford cloth is a thing of beauty, might have to take inventory on how many of the expenses I have are really necessary...

rasmusp

Reaction score

I'm rather looking forward to seeing your Chesterfield. Will it be the same brownish grey (or grayish brown?) as the trenchcoat or might there also be other colours?

Thanks,

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm rather looking forward to seeing your Chesterfield. Will it be the same brownish grey (or grayish brown?) as the trenchcoat or might there also be other colours?

Thanks,

The Chesterfield will come in the same grey as linked above (I see it as a very pure grey!) as well as navy of the approximate same level of brightness.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Chesterfield, too. First time an' all that — there's always an air of excitement.

rasmusp

Reaction score
Indeed, it even says charcoal in the URL. I guess the blue light filter on my mobile must have played me a trick. My apologies!

Charcoal and navy are great colours! Practical colours (read: won't soil quite as easily), as my better half would gleefully proclaim.

KeeperEUSC

Reaction score
For crewneck/gansey, can anyone give me some sizing input (5’9” / 180)?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For crewneck/gansey, can anyone give me some sizing input (5’9” / 180)?

The chest size is the key determinant here, but ...

Both of them fit true to size. However, if you're in between sizes, I'd go down rather than up, to keep the look sharp and trim.

I hope that helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads