• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10dence

Reaction score
If Bruce ever finds a friend to call his own I envision someone with broad and square shoulders and a complete lack of the well-manicured and slightly offsetting nails, to better show the range of your clothing pieces.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... and one more shirt, new this morning — this one made in the most autumnal of autumn shades.

View attachment 1237248 View attachment 1237250 View attachment 1237249 View attachment 1237247

The cord here is deceptively thick. I think the fine wales make it look lighter than it is. The moleskin, meanwhile, from which the new granddad shirts are made, is near-absurd levels of heaviness: having worn one myself yesterday, it caught be off-guard, rather, as it is more jacket-weight than shirt. Makes for a good overshirt, perhaps.

This shirt arrived yesterday and is every bit as nice as expected. Maybe nicer? Disappointingly, it isn't cold enough to wear today, but I'm really looking forward to it.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This shirt arrived yesterday and is every bit as nice as expected. Maybe nicer? Disappointingly, it isn't cold enough to wear today, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Music to my ears, Patrick!

Did you find the XL okay? I know you were erring first to size L ...

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Music to my ears, Patrick!

Did you find the XL okay? I know you were erring first to size L ...

Yes, very well, thanks for asking.

Sizing took a bit of thought on this one for me, but I think now I have an easy solution. I am an XL in every coat, sweater, and shirt I've purchased from you, so I am simply an XL in S.E.H. Kelly.

What threw me initially was the measurements. As a general rule, if I see a shirt that tells me it has a 16.5" neck, a 19" shoulder, a 22" chest, and a 36" sleeve, I expect that the shirt is going to fit me exceptionally well. Those sizes align most closely with your size L. On top of that, the initial copy on the website said something like: "The cloth here is very thick, so if between sizes — even slightly — then it is best to go down a size." As you and I talked through it, we recognized you meant to say (as the website now says) "go up a size."

Based on your sizing advice, I went with the XL, and true to all things S.E.H. Kelly, it's a great fit. I don't even think I'm between sizes, I think I'm an XL all the way. I look forward to wearing it and sharing a photo when I do.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, very well, thanks for asking.

Sizing took a bit of thought on this one for me, but I think now I have an easy solution. I am an XL in every coat, sweater, and shirt I've purchased from you, so I am simply an XL in S.E.H. Kelly.

What threw me initially was the measurements. As a general rule, if I see a shirt that tells me it has a 16.5" neck, a 19" shoulder, a 22" chest, and a 36" sleeve, I expect that the shirt is going to fit me exceptionally well. Those sizes align most closely with your size L. On top of that, the initial copy on the website said something like: "The cloth here is very thick, so if between sizes — even slightly — then it is best to go down a size." As you and I talked through it, we recognized you meant to say (as the website now says) "go up a size."

Based on your sizing advice, I went with the XL, and true to all things S.E.H. Kelly, it's a great fit. I don't even think I'm between sizes, I think I'm an XL all the way. I look forward to wearing it and sharing a photo when I do.

Marvellous.

We do try to maintain consistent sizing, but it is very tricky, with the wide range of thicknesses of material that we use. But every season that goes by, we calibrate things, and try to ensure that people can order with great confidence. So far this autumn (two garments in) I think the sizing is extremely consistent, and the same for the next three styles that are due to appear on the website.

The other thing that can cause headaches with sizing is the habit of some materials — particularly woollens, and especially particularly woollens from the smaller, more craft-minded weavers — to shrink during garment-making, with all the heat and stream and pressure the cloth must undergo. This is something we try to control during make, and try to mitigate with cutting, but as someone who used often to deride the inconsistency of sizing in fashion, I now understand very well perhaps *some* of the reasons why it is commonplace.

Really not sure what all this talk is about errors on the website, though, Patrick ...

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marvellous.

We do try to maintain consistent sizing, but it is very tricky, with the wide range of thicknesses of material that we use. But every season that goes by, we calibrate things, and try to ensure that people can order with great confidence. So far this autumn (two garments in) I think the sizing is extremely consistent, and the same for the next three styles that are due to appear on the website.

The other thing that can cause headaches with sizing is the habit of some materials — particularly woollens, and especially particularly woollens from the smaller, more craft-minded weavers — to shrink during garment-making, with all the heat and stream and pressure the cloth must undergo. This is something we try to control during make, and try to mitigate with cutting, but as someone who used often to deride the inconsistency of sizing in fashion, I now understand very well perhaps *some* of the reasons why it is commonplace.

In my experience you do very well.

Really not sure what all this talk is about errors on the website, though, Patrick ...

I'm sure it was my mistake.

10dence

Reaction score
Lest anyone makes the same mistake as me when Paul emails you with a tracking number for your order...
If you google DPD there is a good chance the first hit is dpd.com. If you like me are of below average observational ability, you will not see the dpd.co.uk address slightly below it. Please use that instead.

But a quick mail and a reply within ten minutes from Paul sorted that out.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Lest anyone makes the same mistake as me when Paul emails you with a tracking number for your order...
If you google DPD there is a good chance the first hit is dpd.com. If you like me are of below average observational ability, you will not see the dpd.co.uk address slightly below it. Please use that instead.

But a quick mail and a reply within ten minutes from Paul sorted that out.

Yes, I don't know why DPD (shipping company) makes it so tricky to utilise a perfectly valid tracking number ... but they do.

Their service is otherwise pretty good, and on a par in my experience with any of the other, bigger, three-letter acronyms.

Happy to help, anyway, always.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
One weekend later, and the two new colours of work jacket in cord — darks navy and olive — are now up at https://www.sehkelly.com/shop/.

Having lugged them to and fro for much of the past 24 hours, I am reminded of how heavy these jackets are. I've never readily associated corduroy with heft — more with thickness — but these can't be much lighter than our heaviest woollen coats.

work-jacket-corduroy-olive-3.jpg
work-jacket-corduroy-dark-navy-17.jpg
work-jacket-corduroy-dark-navy-19.jpg
work-jacket-corduroy-olive-16.jpg
work-jacket-corduroy-dark-navy-15.jpg

Since they sold out quite quickly last year, and the re-stock of the previous two colours (black and cedar) also left the workshop almost as soon as they arrived, we've pushed out the boat and made a higher than normal quantity of these. Doesn't do much for the sense of spaciousness at the workshop, but will hopefully placate anyone who missed out last time out.

Paul

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads