• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I can't speak for the powers that be, but I'm never opposed to wheeling and dealing.

And speaking of the SB3 (ahem) we have spent a disproportionately long and potentially unreasonable length of time reworking it, hence why there hasn’t been a release of it since before this time last year.

The development is quite slight on paper but has nevertheless led to a mild case of status anxiety. It still has a front of three buttons (hence the name) but the break point is now not at the top button but at the middle one. It’s a "3-roll-2" setup, in other words, to which I’ve always been rather partial. It makes the SB3 a bit more formal. We’ve lengthened the body, too, to accommodate the lower break, and sharpened up the shoulder just a little.

The first cloth we've used for it is tropical worsted ...

sb3-tropical-worsted-midnight-blue-1@2x.jpg
sb3-jacket-worsted-grey-2.jpg
sb3-tropical-worsted-midnight-blue-2.jpg
sb3-jacket-worsted-grey-4.jpg
sb3-tropical-worsted-midnight-blue-8.jpg

And the second is cotton airweave ...

sb3-jacket-airweave-cotton-green-3@2x.jpg
sb3-jacket-airweave-cotton-green-5.jpg
sb3-jacket-airweave-cotton-green-8.jpg

There's a second colour upcoming in the airweave, too.

Oh — and matching trousers all round.

Paul

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Peculiar indeed, I don't think even that dude can carry it off.

malefe

Reaction score
Agreed. Maybe it's my americanized sensibilities, love the jacket back but the pockets are aesthetically off--overly utilitarian and slung low, then again I also shop at target

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Agreed. Maybe it's my americanized sensibilities, love the jacket back but the pockets are aesthetically off--overly utilitarian and slung low, then again I also shop at target

I'll have you know abdomen pockets are the new chest pockets and you guys are going to be looking pretty silly when everywhere next season.

They in all seriousness, they are seriously low for chest pockets. I am fond of them but appreciate they're far from normal and certainly not for everyone. The field jacket is destined anyway to have niche appeal on account of its topsy-turvy construction, I think, and the pockets are very much part of that — for better or worse.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to the jacket with three sleeves ...

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They in all seriousness, they are seriously low for chest pockets. I am fond of them but appreciate they're far from normal and certainly not for everyone. The field jacket is destined anyway to have niche appeal on account of its topsy-turvy construction, I think, and the pockets are very much part of that — for better or worse.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to the jacket with three sleeves ...

I applaud your firm-headedness.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of firm (sorry for these lazy segues) ...

We have finished our new parka, which is known as the parka minor. Its name is rather misleading, since the coat is far from minor. It is, rather, a coat of considerable substance, and is packed more than any other coat we've made with function and feature.

parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-1.jpg
parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-3.jpg

It has the belt which runs into the piped channels hidden beneath the pocket flaps (handy for anyone opposed to belts on their outerwear) and envelope pockets and warmer pockets. And, as well as the belt on the body, there is a wee belt on the hood, too, for adjustment purposes.

parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-5.jpg
parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-6.jpg
parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-9.jpg

We have also tweaked the fit from its older brother (parka major, nee simply "parka"). There is now more lift in the sleeve, and the sleeve is wider at the top. But, with a couple of darts in the elbow, it is tighter at the cuff than the previous, longer parka.

parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-11.jpg
parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-13.jpg
parka-canopy-cotton-desert-tan-14.jpg

Lots of work on this one!

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@sehkelly will there be any linen (or hopsack) proper trousers this summer? :)

We have just finished making the proper trouser in cotton airweave (the two colours of the field jacket at http://sehkelly.com/field-jacket) and also in tropical worsted (which technically is a sort of hopsack, and the same two colours as the two jackets at the top of https://sehkelly.com/sb3-jacket).

They are all made, but not yet photographed (the bottleneck on that front being yours truly). If you'd like to pick up a pair, do let me know, as the website is quite easily circumvented. Likewise if you have any other questions, of course.

TTSpeeder

Reaction score
We have just finished making the proper trouser in cotton airweave (the two colours of the field jacket at http://sehkelly.com/field-jacket) and also in tropical worsted (which technically is a sort of hopsack, and the same two colours as the two jackets at the top of https://sehkelly.com/sb3-jacket).
They are all made, but not yet photographed (the bottleneck on that front being yours truly). If you'd like to pick up a pair, do let me know, as the website is quite easily circumvented. Likewise if you have any other questions, of course

TTSpeeder

Reaction score
It would be great to see the Parachute cotton shirt (with a regular collar) return this summer along with some lighter weight shorts.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It would be great to see the Parachute cotton shirt (with a regular collar) return this summer along with some lighter weight shorts.

Sound ideas, both — but sorry to say that neither will come to pass this year.

The parachute cloth was great, being very lightweight but also very strong, but we've since opted against working with very light materials for one reason or another.

And the shorts — well, yes ... the burlap ones are unusually heavy, but I must concede that our dabbling with shorts is really just that — a dabbling — and we will only be offering the one version this year.

TTSpeeder

Reaction score
Sound ideas, both — but sorry to say that neither will come to pass this year.

The parachute cloth was great, being very lightweight but also very strong, but we've since opted against working with very light materials for one reason or another.

And the shorts — well, yes ... the burlap ones are unusually heavy, but I must concede that our dabbling with shorts is really just that — a dabbling — and we will only be offering the one version this year.
Thanks for the information.
I'm interested in the Linen Pinpoint shirt more now, any other button up shirts coming in the next few months?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
I'm interested in the Linen Pinpoint shirt more now, any other button up shirts coming in the next few months?

Just the one for the time being: the shirt with standard collar in super-fine merino wool in dark navy.

The cloth is splendiferous. That truly is the only superlative fitting. It is fine and slinky, soft and warm, breathable and easy to care for (being anti-microbial and a whole checklist of other helpful qualities).

That one will be finished in a couple of weeks.

TTSpeeder

Reaction score
Just the one for the time being: the shirt with standard collar in super-fine merino wool in dark navy.

The cloth is splendiferous. That truly is the only superlative fitting. It is fine and slinky, soft and warm, breathable and easy to care for (being anti-microbial and a whole checklist of other helpful qualities).

That one will be finished in a couple of weeks.

This shirt sounds very intriguing, would it be the Superfine Merino Hopsack that is currently on the website?
Is it be possible to secure one of these ahead of their website appearance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics