• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've finished a small batch of SB jackets in the hairy, speckled, Shetland cloth that is "motley tweed".

sb-jacket-motley-tweed-dark-blue-3s@2x.jpg
sb-jacket-motley-tweed-dark-blue-2s@2x.jpg
sb-jacket-motley-tweed-dark-blue-9s@2x.jpg
sb-jacket-motley-tweed-dark-blue-8s@2x.jpg
sb-jacket-motley-tweed-dark-blue-7s@2x.jpg
sb-jacket-motley-tweed-dark-blue-4s@2x.jpg
sb-jacket-motley-tweed-dark-blue-1@2x.jpg

There's a brown and grey version upcoming soon, too.

This is the SB3, by the way, but now with just two buttons, having started life as a three-button jacket and then a "three-roll-two" jacket and now, simply, a two-buttoner.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, no plans to do so, and definitely not in the next 12 months. Again, I'd never rule it out, but it is not on the cards, sorry.
I think you've mentioned a few times here that a Harris tweed balmacaan might be a possibility. Wondering if you've ever looked into that? I would think Harris would be too light for and SEH K balmacaan (I've never seen a Harris tweed above 16oz) but if anyone could pull off something interesting and unique it'd be you guys.

And I'll caveat the above by saying I think the current donegal you guys use is absolutely perfect and you shouldn't look elsewhere without very good reason.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think you've mentioned a few times here that a Harris tweed balmacaan might be a possibility. Wondering if you've ever looked into that? I would think Harris would be too light for and SEH K balmacaan (I've never seen a Harris tweed above 16oz) but if anyone could pull off something interesting and unique it'd be you guys.

And I'll caveat the above by saying I think the current donegal you guys use is absolutely perfect and you shouldn't look elsewhere without very good reason.

I think you're correct — the cloth is too light for the balmacaan.

Although perhaps there are heavier weights.

I've never looked much into it, and to be honest, we're very happy with our Irish arrangements!

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I agree the Irish donegal is perfect and if you just did varying colors and weaves of that for the rest of SEH's existence I'd be thrilled.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks! I agree the Irish donegal is perfect and if you just did varying colors and weaves of that for the rest of SEH's existence I'd be thrilled.

Cheers!

Marvellous to hear.

There's certainly a decent chance the balmacaan returns in Donegal tweed next year.

SilentPartner

Reaction score
Hey Paul, I love the single breasted jackets and I've been looking for a tweed jacket just like it for a while. My question is... I am short. 5'6", pretty standard proportions except I'm also somewhat built. I wear a 38S in suits. I notice the patch pockets are pretty close to the bottom of the jackets, and 28 3/4" seems just a tad long for me, I think? I think 28" is better. Do you think these can be modified without breaking the jacket and its proportions? Do you think I can look like I'm not stealing my dad's jacket if I wear it un-shortened?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Paul, I love the single breasted jackets and I've been looking for a tweed jacket just like it for a while. My question is... I am short. 5'6", pretty standard proportions except I'm also somewhat built. I wear a 38S in suits. I notice the patch pockets are pretty close to the bottom of the jackets, and 28 3/4" seems just a tad long for me, I think? I think 28" is better. Do you think these can be modified without breaking the jacket and its proportions? Do you think I can look like I'm not stealing my dad's jacket if I wear it un-shortened?

I don't have any first-hand experience shortening jackets with curved fronts like the SB, and it's not a job I'd relish undertaking. But of course, everything can be done — it's only cloth and thread, after all — so so long as you have an experienced tailor or alterations professional to hand, I expect you would be fine.

And the same goes for the pockets if you perceive them too close to the hem of the jacket — they could be unpicked and moved by someone with good experience at such work.

Proportions are all subjective, and I suspect some tailoring purists might find the existing proportions out of wack! It's what looks good to your eyes that matters most, and with what you would feel most comfortable. The jacket is designed to my tastes, but I know well that everyone is different, and I'm all for people adapting our styles to get the most and most enjoyable wear out of them.

Same goes for the length versus your height. Without wishing to sound like I am about to break into song, I've seen short men wear long jackets, and tall men wear short jackets, and if you know what you're doing with your own personal style, both are a-okay: I'm somewhat cynical of prevailing wisdom and dogma when it comes to dressing oneself.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
If it covered your rear and stopped right there, then it wasn’t long. I am .1 inch taller and my blazer is 29.5 in. My ring jacket size 40 (38 is tighttt) is at 29.1. I would argue the sb3 is about right in length for folks our height. A tad shorter you approaching thom browne i suppose

Last edited:

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
Do you think I can look like I'm not stealing my dad's jacket if I wear it un-shortened?

I'm 5'6, somewhat “built” for a petite guy and wear it unshortened. I think if you fill out the rest of the jacket that last 3/4" is down to taste.

Last edited:

Csus2

Reaction score
I was ogling those SBs yesterday, Paul. Very nice. I made a promise to myself that I would buying clothing for this year and the jacket really put my commitment to the test.

Re: the SB length:
I'm also a pretty short fellow, and I actually really like the cut of the SB on me, even if it is longer than the typical 36s sportscoat I normally wear. In fact, if I had the money to do made to measure, I'd bring that jacket in and have the pattern made based on its length and button position. That being said, since I am skinnier, at size 36s/xs, and since I am an inch taller at 5'7, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. For all I know a S could be too long for someone my height or shorter.

My one suggestion with long jackets is that I think high rise trousers help balance the whole thing out, as they make your legs look longer. I am pretty sure that during the heyday of menswear, like the 30s and 40s, they had longer jackets and (what we'd see as) trousers with really high rises because that was what they saw as balanced.

Last edited:

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
This is where I think I divert from what some of you guys seem to want. I would want shorter jackets, lower rise trousers, and a fairly slim fit. I suppose it says something very creditable about your stuff, that it can be worn in different ways by different people ☺

Also in my book the heyday of menswear is probably 2023… (whatever feels right next)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads