• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
you know I meant real ones Paul… 😂

and ofc there’s a lot of military inspiration in many menswear staples, but a greatcoat is, I would say, particularly explicit in its military origins. Perhaps because it would probably be associated with leaders/generals. Or perhaps it’s merely a function of its size, it just naturally dials everything up to eleven.

There are a lot of such associations and, once they're in your head, they tend to stick there.

We had a customer from the States a few years ago who told me he never liked to wear (or indeed see) trench coats in black because to him they connoted high-school shootings, which was so striking a reference that I've not been able to shake it since.

Shetterd

Reaction score
There are a lot of such associations and, once they're in your head, they tend to stick there.
Totally agree with the sense that certain colours and style are too strong in association. This is one reason I personally dislike epaulettes.

More specifically, I understand the problem with greys in principle. But how about a hairy mid-grey marle?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Totally agree with the sense that certain colours and style are too strong in association. This is one reason I personally dislike epaulettes.

More specifically, I understand the problem with greys in principle. But how about a hairy mid-grey marle?

We love a mid-grey marle!

We're not historians, of course, so I guess there's always the chance we'll put a glaring foot wrong. I don't have an authoritative list of colour x coat combinations to avoid: I just have a gut feeling of what looks / feels right or wrong.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We love a mid-grey marle!

We're not historians, of course, so I guess there's always the chance we'll put a glaring foot wrong. I don't have an authoritative list of colour x coat combinations to avoid: I just have a gut feeling of what looks / feels right or wrong.
Broad associations with ugly pasts need time to fade, but SEH can play U2 to the Manson monster. ”This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. We’re stealin’ it back”

PacoPico

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new here but I found this thread and thought it seemed like the place to come for advice.

Can anyone please help me with the dress trousers? 35” waists fit me best so I’m not sure if medium or large would work. How much can the wool flannel and the cotton be expected to stretch? I’m optimistic that a medium would work with the belt fastened as loosely as possible and accounting for some waistband growth but I don’t want to gamble on if the fabric doesn’t give much.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new here but I found this thread and thought it seemed like the place to come for advice.

Can anyone please help me with the dress trousers? 35” waists fit me best so I’m not sure if medium or large would work. How much can the wool flannel and the cotton be expected to stretch? I’m optimistic that a medium would work with the belt fastened as loosely as possible and accounting for some waistband growth but I don’t want to gamble on if the fabric doesn’t give much.

I'd say size M would be too small.

The belt is there to tighten the fit rather than loosen, and the waist size is governed by the buttons at centre-front (which you can't see but which are there).

Size L, I'd wager, would be a-okay.

Both materials will stretch over time, as with all trousers, although the cotton will do so more slowly on account of being so thick and unyielding when new (same as raw denim).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
(It might be worth measuring the waistband on a pair of trousers you wear currently. Lay 'em flat and straight as possible (but not pulled taut) and run a tape measure from one side of the waistband to the other. Then I'll be able to give a more confident recommendation. Our size M measures 17" in this way; the size L is 18". I only mention this because trousers which are labelled as 34 or 36 don't always actually measure that.)

PacoPico

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information. I’ve measured a few of my well-fitting pairs and they each measure right around 17.5” across. It’s an unfortunate size.

SilentPartner

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information. I’ve measured a few of my well-fitting pairs and they each measure right around 17.5” across. It’s an unfortunate size.
There's only one thing to do: to the pizza joint with you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads