• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’m likely talking through my hat here but I find it fascinating how enlarging the epaulets and extending off the shoulder seems to do more to “demilitarise” and soften the piece than just removing them all together.

I like this hat-talk!

We were keen from the start to avoid anything too square and structured up top. But with the saddle shoulder, you get a very soft shoulder — too soft, even, for a coat with a collar like that. It was all out of balance.

So reinstating the epaulettes and having them lie in the space left by the seams of the shoulder worked well ... and then with the box-stitch at the base of the epaulettes lining up with where the head of the sleeve runs on a "normal" greatcoat, it all tied up nicely.

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
If I didn’t already have two blue coats from SEH Kelly I’d be very tempted. I’d imagine this will enter the usual rotation and reappear in future years in a variety of brand appropriate colours?

RozenKristal

Reaction score
D you

have any pictures of the shawl unbuttoned while worn? I think you might have the shawl cardigan if I recall correctly.
Here go. Lighting kinda suck on rainy day.
Note i am a typical S but wearing M. My weight kinda go up recently… E3542F08-BC7C-4A5C-B72A-D19C937153B0.jpeg 08A36A5E-8523-44B6-9D3E-6551D9ACF0AC.jpeg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If I didn’t already have two blue coats from SEH Kelly I’d be very tempted. I’d imagine this will enter the usual rotation and reappear in future years in a variety of brand appropriate colours?

Probably not quite regular rotation, as it is quite a niche proposition (same as the duster and the shopcoat) but it is quite likely to appear again next year.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
can we vote on colors and fabrics? 😂

There's an idea!

It is actually quite a narrow band of suitable candidates, as it's a great big slab of cloth, and quite an overbearing style in the wrong hands. It rules out quite a lot of options. It also needs something very heavy, as otherwise it can be rather unimpressive. I have a shortlist and will be thinking about it quite a lot over the next few months.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
Im a postgrad student in history, and I’m just thinking that certain greatcoat colours could make you look like you’re cosplaying as a few less than desirable historical figures (to put it mildly)… Depending on what colour you go for I could definitely be interested though, and of course what comes first has to be what kind of fabric you guys think will actually work. It’s maybe not very SEHK but I’d be up for a colour that’s a bit “fun”

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Im a postgrad student in history, and I’m just thinking that certain greatcoat colours could make you look like you’re cosplaying as a few less than desirable historical figures (to put it mildly)… Depending on what colour you go for I could definitely be interested though, and of course what comes first has to be what kind of fabric you guys think will actually work. It’s maybe not very SEHK but I’d be up for a colour that’s a bit “fun”

It is indeed a minefield.

Lots of nice coats through history favoured by the worst of the worst and ruining it for everyone else.

Overtly military attire similarly seems a bit tasteless given current world affairs, but maybe I'm too sensitive.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
I don’t think you’re being overly sensitive.
Not wanting to look like a Confederate sympathiser (some greys), or what true black could obviously look a bit like (to observe Godwin’s law I won’t say) is a perfectly reasonable ambition!

hence my somewhat joking idea of something a bit fun. I’m not aware of any evil military figures who wore coats in cerulean…

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
you know I meant real ones Paul… 😂

and ofc there’s a lot of military inspiration in many menswear staples, but a greatcoat is, I would say, particularly explicit in its military origins. Perhaps because it would probably be associated with leaders/generals. Or perhaps it’s merely a function of its size, it just naturally dials everything up to eleven.

Csus2

Reaction score
Disappointed that none of the blurbs on the greatcoat page simply say "the greatcoat is a great coat!" and leave it at that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads