• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sad story.. I have been waiting for it since a month ago, but I guess some people waited for even longer.
If so many ppl were on the waiting list on certain sizes, why don't you make a couple more on those sizes? I think "XS" on the greatcoat sold out right after it was released too...

Indeed — some have been waiting since January, either for the Herdwick version of the coat or the regular version.

And we try our very best to make best use of cloth, I assure you!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Indeed — some have been waiting since January, either for the Herdwick version of the coat or the regular version.

And we try our very best to make best use of cloth, I assure you!

The duffle coat was cut to a two-size lay plan with the XS and the XL locked together, and then the S and L, and the M cut as a single size. We don't always do it like this, but it worked because of the special width of the cloth in this case, and meant we were able to maximise the total number of coats which could be cut — otherwise there would have been significant wastage: too much to accept for such special cloth. Other times, this doesn't happen.

Of course, we don't always know if people who wish to be notified when a garment is ready will actually purchase it, or whether they're just curious, so it is sometimes the case we make more in one size than another in a preemptory sort of fashion, only to be left with more of one size than another. I can't recall what happened with the greatcoat, but there are many reasons why e.g. the XS might sell out before the others — sometimes folks buy multiples of the same size for them and their buddy, or a tweet or Instagram post or other social media site in, say, Japan, might link to a new product, and we find ourselves short of one size or another out of the blue.

We work with very small quantities, so a single factor might steer sales one way or another in ways we can't foresee.

asewonder

Reaction score
The duffle coat was cut to a two-size lay plan with the XS and the XL locked together, and then the S and L, and the M cut as a single size. We don't always do it like this, but it worked because of the special width of the cloth in this case, and meant we were able to maximise the total number of coats which could be cut — otherwise there would have been significant wastage: too much to accept for such special cloth. Other times, this doesn't happen.

Of course, we don't always know if people who wish to be notified when a garment is ready will actually purchase it, or whether they're just curious, so it is sometimes the case we make more in one size than another in a preemptory sort of fashion, only to be left with more of one size than another. I can't recall what happened with the greatcoat, but there are many reasons why e.g. the XS might sell out before the others — sometimes folks buy multiples of the same size for them and their buddy, or a tweet or Instagram post or other social media site in, say, Japan, might link to a new product, and we find ourselves short of one size or another out of the blue.

We work with very small quantities, so a single factor might steer sales one way or another in ways we can't foresee.

Any comments on sizing for the new duffle? Say compared to the regular Balmacaan from last year? Also is it lined in the arms, body or hood?

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's indeed very sad to learn about this. I guess you somehow underestimate how popular they would be but how can I blame u on that lol.
Anyway, how can I be added to the list of waiting list for XS light sheep Duffle coatthen.

PS: I do see a middle sheep Duffle just posted, but the color looks quite close to the dark sheep which I bought last year.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any comments on sizing for the new duffle? Say compared to the regular Balmacaan from last year? Also is it lined in the arms, body or hood?

It's true to size, the duffle coat, and matches closely to the balmacaan. The armhole is slightly lower and the body has a boxier profile (as you can see in the photographs) but style aside, they're much the same in sizing.

And in classic duffle coat fashion it is entirely unlined, with all internal seams bound in cotton.

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
I think I've left it long enough between pesters to not qualify as a full blooded nuisance. Is the tweed SB3 still on track? You mentioned dark brown and charcoal, any particular pattern to the mix?

3eye

Reaction score
Hi Paul, a few quick questions.

Is there a timeline for new releases? I vaguely remember reading that you've some new styles in the works but can't find the specific post.

Does the Balmacaan return every year? If so any ideas on colours and length for the next cycle?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think I've left it long enough between pesters to not qualify as a full blooded nuisance. Is the tweed SB3 still on track? You mentioned dark brown and charcoal, any particular pattern to the mix?

Yessir — it's being made right now. Might even be about finished.

The cloth is similar to https://www.sehkelly.com/dress-trousers-in-motley-flannel-in-peat-brown/ but thicker and fuzzier. There's a dark navy with flecks of other blue and black, and yes, a dark brown and charcoal mix.

Couple of weeks 'til on the website at most, with matching trousers not miles behind.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, a few quick questions.

Is there a timeline for new releases? I vaguely remember reading that you've some new styles in the works but can't find the specific post.

Does the Balmacaan return every year? If so any ideas on colours and length for the next cycle?

We don't work to a timeline, but we're currently making SB jackets in a mid-weight tweed, trousers in corduroy, shirts in a blend of merino wool and cotton, and hunting jackets (a new style) in cotton duck.

Not sure if the balmacaan will return every year. Nothing is a given. We'll make a decision in the spring. The tweed from Donegal always works very well, but having offered it for several consecutive years, it might be time to switch it up.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's the duffle coat in the other colour (middling sheep).

duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-12s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-16s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-13s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-11s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-8s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-7s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-6s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-3s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-2s@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-herdwick-tweed-mid-sheep-18s@2x.jpg

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Oh dear. It doesn't sound brilliant ... but best check the measurements against another of our shirts to better understand what if anything has happened to it.

It could be a very old one, maybe, as we changed our shirt from a shorter and boxier fit about six years ago.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to a post about a second-hand purchase. It's very good of you.
My sizing compared to the wool cord shirt on your website:

Shoulders across the seam: 16.9/18.75
Sleeve (from middle of back at collar base*): 30/35
P2P: 20.5/21
Base of collar to bottom: 27/30.5

*Is that the right place from which to measure?

It is marked as a medium but some of those measurements are waaaaaay off.

This is the fabric, to give a sense of vintage (it’s slightly darker in the flesh)
F8F4259C-0FDC-4B6E-B414-0C7175CBA776.jpeg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would have thought it's been altered or washed.

The cloth is partially woollen so it would shrink quite a bit if machine-washed.

Onne

Reaction score
Just a quick question. All your knitwear, although beautiful, is very chunky/thick. Do you ever plan on making a sweater more akin to shetland sweaters and the like in terms of thickness? Have you ever done something like that?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a quick question. All your knitwear, although beautiful, is very chunky/thick. Do you ever plan on making a sweater more akin to shetland sweaters and the like in terms of thickness? Have you ever done something like that?

I think the lightest ones we do are the polo shirt and the v-neck, which are both three or four-ply. The cardigan is about the same, too.

Here's the latter from a few years ago.

v-neck-lambswool-tuck-brown-worn-4@2x.jpg

Is that the sort of thing you mean?

We haven't made any of them in lambswool for a few years: they tend to be rolled out in cotton in spring instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads