• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"This ... this is a scrub top. You've designed a scrub top."

Immortal words from Sara when I showed her the mid-layer I'd been working on while she was busy doing other things.

scrub-shirt-linen-poplin-buckwheat-2@2x.jpeg
scrub-shirt-linen-poplin-buckwheat-5@2x.jpeg
scrub-shirt-linen-poplin-navy-4@2x.jpeg
scrub-shirt-linen-poplin-navy-3@2x.jpeg
scrub-shirt-linen-poplin-buckwheat-6@2x.jpeg
scrub-shirt-linen-poplin-buckwheat-7@2x.jpeg

And it's true -- it is a scrub top. It reaching this point was inadvertent, or at least unknowing, but here we are: a very versatile, comfortable, short-sleeved mid-layer, which just so happens to look like a hospital shirt.

The linen is more of that sanforised wündercloth from Northern Ireland. It'll appear in the form of more standard styles of shirt next week, too.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've had a second run at the field trousers, which debuted about six months ago (and is the spiritual successor to the proper trouser, in being our trousers most wide of leg and most full of rump).

This time we've made them in quite a few different cloths -- the first of which is this, the cotton-linen hopsack of which we're so found.

field-trousers-cotton-linen-hopsack-chimney-7s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-cotton-linen-hopsack-chimney-2s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-cotton-linen-hopsack-chimney-10s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-cotton-linen-hopsack-chimney-9s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-cotton-linen-hopsack-chimney-6s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-cotton-linen-hopsack-chimney-5s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-cotton-linen-hopsack-chimney-3s@2x.jpg

As I remember describing a couple of weeks back, these aren't new, but they are improved. There's more double-stitching and strengthening, and the fit around the waist is more to my liking. And the cloth -- well, it suits them very well.

mke94

Reaction score
Hi Paul, out of curiosity, what will be the other color for the cotton-linen field trousers?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, out of curiosity, what will be the other color for the cotton-linen field trousers?

Petrol — a sort of blue-ish grey / grey-ish blue.

Then there will be a lighter weight cotton-linen (panama) in off-white and charcoal.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here in the thread have a pic wearing their field trousers? Tempted by the sound of the charcoal...

Petrol — a sort of blue-ish grey / grey-ish blue.

Then there will be a lighter weight cotton-linen (panama) in off-white and charcoal.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I knew it!

I knew if we held out long enough, were patient and stubborn enough, we'd fine a variety of corduroy suitable for use in spring and summer.

This is 7oz needlecord and it's as airy and floaty as any linen.

shirt-spread-collar-needlecord-barley-2@2x.jpeg
shirt-spread-collar-needlecord-russet-4@2x.jpeg
shirt-spread-collar-needlecord-russet-3@2x.jpeg
shirt-spread-collar-needlecord-barley-6@2x.jpeg

And speaking of linen, there's this, which is the usual top-range quality from Northern Ireland. I ran out of original superlatives a very long time ago, but just see the first photograph below — look at how it hangs! We've also used it for a handful of button-down shirts which we hope to have finished by this time next week.

shirt-granddad-collar-linen-poplin-rust-2@2x.jpeg
shirt-granddad-collar-linen-poplin-navy-2@2x.jpeg
shirt-granddad-collar-linen-poplin-rust-7@2x.jpeg
shirt-granddad-collar-linen-poplin-rust-8@2x.jpeg

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here in the thread have a pic wearing their field trousers? Tempted by the sound of the charcoal...
Quick/crap photo but here are the field trousers in chimney pot. I've been wearing these for a few days now and the fabric is pretty great. This color in particular looks like I'm wearing a burlap sack. But in the best possible way. There is a nice weight to them which keeps them pulled down nice and straight.

The sizing does seem to fit me a bit roomier than I'm used to. For ex, I take a size small in the slim trousers. I took these in a small as well but the waist has more room than the slims. I could prob go down to an XS in the field trouser and be ok.

My work around was to wash in cold but then dry in my machine (don't be mad Paul!) in small increments to gauge the shrinkage. Surprisingly this fabric didn't shrink as much as I expected. They're still a tad roomier than I'd like in the waist even after the wash and dry. And yes, I have the side tabs cinched. Love the fit everywhere else.

Hope this is of some help.
IMG_7130.jpeg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of washing - can the cotton items generally be machine washed/hang dried? I really like the look of the field trousers, but cannot do dry clean only trousers.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quick/crap photo but here are the field trousers in chimney pot. I've been wearing these for a few days now and the fabric is pretty great. This color in particular looks like I'm wearing a burlap sack. But in the best possible way. There is a nice weight to them which keeps them pulled down nice and straight.

The sizing does seem to fit me a bit roomier than I'm used to. For ex, I take a size small in the slim trousers. I took these in a small as well but the waist has more room than the slims. I could prob go down to an XS in the field trouser and be ok.

My work around was to wash in cold but then dry in my machine (don't be mad Paul!) in small increments to gauge the shrinkage. Surprisingly this fabric didn't shrink as much as I expected. They're still a tad roomier than I'd like in the waist even after the wash and dry. And yes, I have the side tabs cinched. Love the fit everywhere else.

Hope this is of some help.
View attachment 1799120

"Like I'm wearing a burlap sack" — there's no higher praise in my book!

Look great.

You can move over the buttons on the sides (or add some more — let me know) and that should solve the waist problem.

It's a strange thing, but the current batch of new field trousers and new slim trousers measure the same on the waist, but the latter feel much, much smaller. It's a consequence, I guess, of all the extra space in the thigh and seat in the field trousers.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On the topic of washing - can the cotton items generally be machine washed/hang dried? I really like the look of the field trousers, but cannot do dry clean only trousers.

We'd never want to offer dry-clean only trousers (apart from woollen ones).

They can all be machine-washed, but depending on the material, you might want a very cool wash. The more unusual materials we use aren't always intended for apparel, you see, so need extra care. Sometimes hand-washing. And never, but never, machine-dry, as that's a shortcut to ruination for all concerned.

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Like I'm wearing a burlap sack" — there's no higher praise in my book!

Look great.

You can move over the buttons on the sides (or add some more — let me know) and that should solve the waist problem.

It's a strange thing, but the current batch of new field trousers and new slim trousers measure the same on the waist, but the latter feel much, much smaller. It's a consequence, I guess, of all the extra space in the thigh and seat in the field trousers.
Great solve on the waist issue. Such a no brainer but I hadn't thought of that!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's the start of June ... which sort of feels to me like the start of summer (I know it isn't) ... and that means every day I have the gnawing "must get ready" dread for the oncoming of autumn.

So I thought I'd share it.

* In the past week we've finalised our knitwear plans. This includes the return of the shawl cardigan (heavier than before) and a wee little scarf which I like a disproportionate amount.

* More Herdwick tweed is now in work -- this time in duffle coat form.

* The duffle coat will be bigger.

* The return of the balmacaan in Donegal tweed. Barleycorn again this time, in two new but reassuringly familiar colours.

* The return of the trench, peacoat, field coat, and tielocken.

* And the trucker.

* We've had three jackets in work for the past year (actually, more than three, and more than a year) and I hope at least two of them will see light of day this autumn. The first is a hunting jacket, the second a fishing jacket with detachable hood and stupidly large pockets (the whole lower half is, indeed, pocket) and the third a quilted (or at least padded) paddock jacket. We've packed in quite a long of ideas, at least at the start, and have spent the past six months smoothing off the rough edges and getting them ready for public display.

* I spent a good chunk of today revisiting the Kelly collar, which is the name we give to our shirt that has the tab and loop fastening at the collar. Incredibly satisfying work. I hope and expect it will return this autumn in newly finessed form.

We're spending every day getting our designs and our cloth right and ready to go, and ... phew. We have high hopes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads