• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to share photos on the 2 coats I got from SEH Kelly recently

0736A989-2519-48E2-BFCD-29F5EF91CF0C.jpeg
EF57649A-D1D2-47F9-90B5-6470ED403AB0.jpeg
82C49B68-AB12-4B3B-8F84-2A8B5132B401.jpeg
95F0EC4D-B6D2-45BA-A498-A72F961EBA89.jpeg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ghh923

Reaction score
No pictures here yet, but the trench is indeed proper bonkers. It's actually much softer than I expected. Heavy? Yes, and just right. Also, even after sizing down, I can do a button up and four ply v-neck underneath, with room to spare. Nor are the sleeves dramatically short--though I may still look for extra real estate there. Will try over tailoring tonight. There are more ways to wear this than I know what to do with.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No pictures here yet, but the trench is indeed proper bonkers. It's actually much softer than I expected. Heavy? Yes, and just right. Also, even after sizing down, I can do a button up and four ply v-neck underneath, with room to spare. Nor are the sleeves dramatically short--though I may still look for extra real estate there. Will try over tailoring tonight. There are more ways to wear this than I know what to do with.

That's music to my ears.

I am wondering now if I was worrying too much with the sizing of the trench, especially with regards to the length of the sleeves. No one yet has reported a problem with it, and we're lucky there is plenty to spare to be let down if need be.

We are currently making the same coat in weatherproof ripstop, which is the very strong but very lightweight material we have used for several raincoats over recent years (e.g. https://www.sehkelly.com/parka-minor-in-weatherproof-ripstop-in-postman-blue/). A very different proposition to the tweed one!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A few final splutters from the knitwear pipeline this week, with the balaclavae and a second colour of the boatneck (which gets not nearly the love of the crewneck and the gansey for reasons to me inexplicable, but maybe not everyone is a fan of full-body side gussets).

boatneck-geelong-lambswool-green-2s@2x.jpg
boatneck-geelong-lambswool-green-12s@2x.jpg
boatneck-geelong-lambswool-green-4s@2x.jpg
boatneck-geelong-lambswool-green-8s@2x.jpg
balaclava-geelong-lambswool-grey-green-2s@2x.jpg
balaclava-geelong-lambswool-grey-green-8s@2x.jpg
balaclava-geelong-lambswool-grey-green-6s@2x.jpg
balaclava-geelong-lambswool-imperial-blue-2s@2x.jpg
balaclava-geelong-lambswool-imperial-blue-1-copy@2x.jpg

One more bodywarmer upcoming, too!

And then, signing off the year, the waistcoat in Herdwick tweed.

And then, signing on to the new year, the trench in ripstop.

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few final splutters from the knitwear pipeline this week, with the balaclavae and a second colour of the boatneck (which gets not nearly the love of the crewneck and the gansey for reasons to me inexplicable, but maybe not everyone is a fan of full-body side gussets).

View attachment 1721821 View attachment 1721823 View attachment 1721824 View attachment 1721825 View attachment 1721833 View attachment 1721835 View attachment 1721837 View attachment 1721841 View attachment 1721845

One more bodywarmer upcoming, too!

And then, signing off the year, the waistcoat in Herdwick tweed.

And then, signing on to the new year, the trench in ripstop.
Paul, in re to the lack of love towards the boatneck...I think your hunch is right.

I would love the boatneck on the crewneck body. As it is, I find it a bit "busy" with the gusset coupled with the six ply/three-ply combo.

*Not that you asked for the above opinion. But I wanted to confirm that hunch of yours. And while I may not be a fan of that particular sweater, I am a fan of most all things SEH Kelly. FTR

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I hear you!

There's no such thing as an unwelcome opinion here.

We push the boat out further (no pun intended) with some designs more than others, and the boatneck certainly has more than its fair share of facets and features.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
That’s funny because to me the thing that puts me off about the boatneck is the neck itself. I actually quite like the busy-ness of all it’s different facets and features.

So I came to the same conclusion for exactly the opposite reasons. Which if you think about it augurs well for the design. You can never totally please everyone!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That’s funny because to me the thing that puts me off about the boatneck is the neck itself. I actually quite like the busy-ness of all it’s different facets and features.

So I came to the same conclusion for exactly the opposite reasons. Which if you think about it augurs well for the design. You can never totally please everyone!

It's true.

We have a subset of designs like the boatneck, shopcoat, or engineer jacket, which would have niche appeal at the best of times (how many men do you see in the street wearing a shopcoat) so we play around with them more than we do with e.g. the shirt or the SB3, both of which are comparatively sober and are less ... designed.

10dence

Reaction score
I'm in whatever camp loves the neck and doesn't mind the sides. Had I not already gotten more knits than I planned for this season I would have snatched up the green boatneck the moment it dropped.

Riding an escooter to work makes the balaclava a bit more tempting this time around, are you in danger of running out of them any time soon?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm in whatever camp loves the neck and doesn't mind the sides. Had I not already gotten more knits than I planned for this season I would have snatched up the green boatneck the moment it dropped.

Riding an escooter to work makes the balaclava a bit more tempting this time around, are you in danger of running out of them any time soon?

I don't think so. You never know, of course, but I doubt it.

Of course, if learned people hear about your interest in them (especially dropping a very enticing and evocative use-case) we might now sell out before the day is over.

10dence

Reaction score
we might now sell out before the day is over.

You're not getting me this time, Paul. Can't take my disposable income if I don't currently have any.

However if it would occur are you above misplacing one and conveniently finding it again in a week or so?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've only ever made a very small number of them, so the chances are slim ... but if I might answer any questions at all, then do let me know.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"It's beginning to look a lot like ... sleeveless."

We've finally finished the waistcoats in Herdwick tweed — making considerably lower but hopefully no less effective use of the cloth.

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-light-sheep-3@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-dark-2@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-dark-9@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-light-sheep-11@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-dark-8@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-dark-7@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-dark-10@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-light-sheep-5@2x.jpeg

waistcoat-herdwick-tweed-dark-4@2x.jpeg

And the back of the waistcoats is natural and undyed in composition, too, being the same springy two-ply high-twist worsted used previously for jackets and trousers (white-face Cheviot sheep from North Yorkshire, for any sheep-provenance aficionados out there).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads