• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moimael

Reaction score
Wonderful stuff. Toasty.

Btw the length is perfect for my taste. It adds a bit of drama to the coat and will certainly be most useful this winter.

Paul, by the way, I'd love to hear your suggestion on how to attach the belt loops (how many loops and where to place them).

Wonderful job!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I will put together some photographs and instructions for the belt loops later today, all being well.

In short, though, it's just two loops, sewn on the *rear* side seams, at a height immediately above the pocket flaps (so that when the belt comes around the bottom edge of it is flush with the top of the pocket flap).

Speaking of coats with belts (another pearler from the S.E.H Kelly school of segues) — here's the field coat.

field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-2s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-4s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-8s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-10s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-6s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-13s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-12s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-15s@2x.jpg
field-coat-cotton-sail-cloth-nearly-black-9s@2x.jpg

The idea with this one, to the uninitiated, is that the belt is (a) removable without leaving a trace, for those who don't like belts, as it goes under the pocket flaps, and (b) is adjustable for the perfect length at the front (some like it floppy).

RCD33

Reaction score
I will put together some photographs and instructions for the belt loops later today, all being well.

In short, though, it's just two loops, sewn on the *rear* side seams, at a height immediately above the pocket flaps (so that when the belt comes around the bottom edge of it is flush with the top of the pocket flap).

Speaking of coats with belts (another pearler from the S.E.H Kelly school of segues) — here's the field coat.

View attachment 1691753 View attachment 1691754 View attachment 1691755 View attachment 1691756 View attachment 1691757 View attachment 1691758 View attachment 1691759 View attachment 1691760 View attachment 1691761

The idea with this one, to the uninitiated, is that the belt is (a) removable without leaving a trace, for those who don't like belts, as it goes under the pocket flaps, and (b) is adjustable for the perfect length at the front (some like it floppy).

Paul, what fabrics and colors are you planning on for this?

booroo

Reaction score
This fella right here, which is the weatherproof sail-cloth in nearly black, and also in dark (forest) green.

Paul, that second-to-last picture...

Is that the new/refined Poacher's pocket access?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, that second-to-last picture...

Is that the new/refined Poacher's pocket access?

That's right, yes.

It is a pocket accessible sideways, spanning the area between the two vents. If you imagine that that area beneath the belt and between the vents was pocket, which you can get your hands in from either left or right, then you'll have a good idea of how it works.

Tempestatic

Reaction score
Hi! Ended up here (literally just joined SF) by way of rave reviews on Reddit that had me enamored with the balmacaan. I was all set on the bark brown listed on the site, and then -- in the midst of double checking for my first foray into non-solid colored outerwear -- I happened upon the SF preorder where the green now has my eye, both for the wonderful color/texture and the extra length. So here's my quandary -- do I wait to see if there are extra SF greens in M, risking the bark brown selling out, or do I just get the bark brown now? (and possibly reconsider my winter budget to fit in a second coat if it becomes a possibility?)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi! Ended up here (literally just joined SF) by way of rave reviews on Reddit that had me enamored with the balmacaan. I was all set on the bark brown listed on the site, and then -- in the midst of double checking for my first foray into non-solid colored outerwear -- I happened upon the SF preorder where the green now has my eye, both for the wonderful color/texture and the extra length. So here's my quandary -- do I wait to see if there are extra SF greens in M, risking the bark brown selling out, or do I just get the bark brown now? (and possibly reconsider my winter budget to fit in a second coat if it becomes a possibility?)

Welcome!

There are a few balmacaans in dark green here in size M. They're finished and more or less ready to go.

Please — drop me a line, either here or via email (the one on our website) and I can help you out.

ridgerider

Reaction score
I just got mine in the dark green today. It's stunning.

Last edited:

Esaj

Reaction score
Hi Paul, looking to pick up a gansey this year - any update on when they'll be in stock? Also, what colors will the crewneck be in. It's the first somewhat cold night in New England and it's getting me a bit too excited for heavy knitwear. Thanks!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, looking to pick up a gansey this year - any update on when they'll be in stock? Also, what colors will the crewneck be in. It's the first somewhat cold night in New England and it's getting me a bit too excited for heavy knitwear. Thanks!

The knitters are going like the clappers, and some of the new knitwear is now finished and here with me now.

We have the crewneck in dark blue, and in dark grey (similar to the "asphalt" of the gansey last year).

The gansey, boatneck, shawl cardigan, and bodywarmer are all still in work and at various stages of being linked — i.e. all the panels and parts are knitted, and are being attached to one another.

We're getting there ... !

fleblebleb

Reaction score
Is "asphalt" same as "charcoal", like linked, or different? Darker?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is "asphalt" same as "charcoal", like linked, or different? Darker?

What we call asphalt has more contrast between the (grey) shades of the yarn, whereas charcoal is flatter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads